Cisco AnyConnect VPN client Win RT

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Simple question... will we see it released for RT?

If so, I won't need anything but my Surface on all my business trips ever
again

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Simple question... will we see it released for RT?

If so, I won't need anything but my Surface on all my business trips ever
again

Probably never. I don't know if RT has the networking components and services needed to support VPN connectivity. You will definitely be able to use this client on Surface Pro.

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
That would certainly be nice. Need that to connect to the office...in fact I just needed it earlier today. Had to go load it on my desktop instead.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It would be very stupid of them not to allow support for this on RT!

Of course it'll work on Pro, but I don't feel like spending a thousand bucks on a tablet, which is why I got RT.

Seriously, Apple iOS and Android supports this... Microsoft needs to get on it

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Please, shut up. Windows RT is the same as Windows 8 under the hood. The same networking stack is there.

That's reassuring. I'm actually going to poke around a little on the desktop side and see if I can setup a PPTP VPN connection.

That might tide me over until official Anyconnect app is released.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone is wondering, you can indeed setup a PPTP or L2TP IPsec VPN tunnel by going to the network settings in control panel on the Desktop side.

This isn't a permanent solution for me, but should get me by until an official Cisco AnyConnect client is released for Windows RT.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It's already possible, I've connected to my home PC using my own VPN from work using the old style desktop side Internet Explorer within Windows 8 RT on the surface. Very easy to do.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
For an alternative solution, ask your network administrator to look into replacing/supplementing AnyConnect with L2TP/IPsec.

I do expect there to be a WinRT app at some point, but Cisco is so slow to adopt new OS releases, so I expect it will be a while.

bforster

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Teamviewer. does that work well? I have logmein but everytime I click on the screen it flashes the screen and take like 2 to 3 sec to come back.. This is on EVERY Click so no good for working on it.

I so need cisco vpn as well. I hate that they didn't get this working out the gate.. So I have to drag my dumb Ipad around till then. :(

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, there is Citrix receiver preview available in the store. VPN functionality is also certainly built into the OS. If you have a need for something you should probably press the developer instead of just posting here. You will get a faster response if you get it on their radar....

Last edited:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Teamviewer. does that work well? I have logmein but everytime I click on the screen it flashes the screen and take like 2 to 3 sec to come back.. This is on EVERY Click so no good for working on it.

I so need cisco vpn as well. I hate that they didn't get this working out the gate.. So I have to drag my dumb Ipad around till then. :(

I prefer teamviewer over LogMeIn personally. Works much better and I don't have to log in on the desktop apps to use it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786