IE 10 Slow page load times

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am on my second Surface RT (first one had a dead pixel), so I have been able to confirm this on two separate tablets.

Web pages with heavy content, such as Engadget.com and theverge.com load very slowly in the browser. I tested this numerous times against my other tablets (Nexus 7, iPad 3, Galaxy Note 10.1) and on different wifi connections and the results are the same. It's almost frustratingly slow.

I know Microsoft will probably issue an update that helps with this, but I was under the impression that IE 10 was supposed to be really fast and that has not been my experience.

Are other people experiencing the same thing?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest, I've found the opposite! I'm finding IE 10 is MUCH faster that my other devices. I even find it on par with chrome on my laptop on some site!

EDIT: I did however find flash to be dreadfully slow and buggy! (tried using webassign and it was a terrible experience)

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll be honest, I've found the opposite! I'm finding IE 10 is MUCH faster that my other devices. I even find it on par with chrome on my laptop on some site!

EDIT: I did however find flash to be dreadfully slow and buggy! (tried using webassign and it was a terrible experience)

I think Engadget and Verge still have a lot of flash on them. Maybe flash is the issue? Otherwise, is there some setting you have on that I don't?

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, well I just tried the verge and engadget (realizing I don't believe I've been on them yet) and found the verge took about 4-5 seconds to load and engadget was fairly quick within a second and a half.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, well I just tried the verge and engadget (realizing I don't believe I've been on them yet) and found the verge took about 4-5 seconds to load and engadget was fairly quick within a second and a half.

Well, unless I got two bad units with the exact same issue, there's no way it's just me. And I know it's not my wifi.

Do you have the "do not track" default on? I've been wondering if that might slow things down.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, unless I got two bad units with the exact same issue, there's no way it's just me. And I know it's not my wifi.

Do you have the "do not track" default on? I've been wondering if that might slow things down.
Yes I have all defaults turned on

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I can't say I have noticed these problems - pages only load fractionally slower than my I5 laptop or are just as fast. FWIW, as you are having a problem, I really don't think you are in a position to say you know it is not just you or that it is not your wifi. No offense intended but arbitrarily dropping out possibilities is not going to help reach a solution. As a personal example, I came home this afternoon and found that my network connection was limited (no internet) and ran various options to get the tablet reconnected. What I had not observed is that there was a power failure while I was out and there was a conflict between the cable modem and router and nothing was working (happens whenever there is a power failure). When I first tried to use remote desktop to connect to my Windows Server 2012 Essentials server, it also refused to logon. Again, as a result of the power failure the server had locked itself in a diagnostic mode which had not yet finished. I initially assumed a Surface RT issues when they were hardware issues on my own network.

Last edited:

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I have noticed these problems - pages only load fractionally slower than my I5 laptop or are just as fast. FWIW, as you are having a problem, I really don't think you are in a position to say you know it is not just you or that it is not your wifi. No offense intended but arbitrarily dropping out possibilities is not going to help reach a solution.

No offense, but I'm the mobility expert for my company and I have 12 years of I.T. support experience. I eliminated wifi and hardware issues based on that experience, not wishful thinking.

I came here to see if others were having a similar experience, but I have already done extensive trial and error testing. I have applied all available updates to the tablet, restarted several times, connected to different wifi access points, and duplicated this issue on two separate tablets. There's nothing arbitrary about my conclusion.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
What kind of load times are you getting? Only thing I can think of is maybe you have a lot of tasks running or stuff being downloaded. I'm the only person using my internet right now so maybe its just cause you have a few people trying to access the internet.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
What kind of load times are you getting? Only thing I can think of is maybe you have a lot of tasks running or stuff being downloaded. I'm the only person using my internet right now so maybe its just cause you have a few people trying to access the internet.

I just compared side-by-side with Safari on my iPad 3. Load times aren't really THAT much different now that I test it again. Surface is always slower, but only by several seconds in most cases. Endgadget is the biggest difference.

I think when I was using the surface and only the surface, the page load times seemed like an eternity. I'm used to Chrome with adblock.

I'm the only one on my wifi with ~20 mbps download (tested on speedtest.net on the surface). I don't have a lot of apps running, either. I was testing this after a fresh boot.

Every once in a while, though, a page will hang while loading and take significantly longer. Engadget, during one of my tests, took over 40 seconds on the Surface. It only took 13 on the iPad. The next time I tested it on the Surface, it loaded up in just over 10. It's almost like IE gets stuck loading some element.

Stormwatch342

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine definitely feels slower then other devices. But my biggest leave is the back button. It takes to long to load the last page which is cached at this point. Its not like its even loading the last page and refreshing it. Example on this forum I read a thread go back. Wait for the list of threads to load again. Its the same cached page ,if I refresh I can see the thread marked as read and new threads with comments.

Either it needs to be refreshing when you press back to justify the time. Or loading the cached last page much much quicker.

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, your right. I've been having issues as well. I don't actually think it is flash related as much as just many large image related. Theverge loads fast on my phone and nexus 7. However in ie10 metro it loads incredibly slow. The odd thing is, once it is loaded, scrolling and pinch to zoom is perfect. Very fast, fluid, and the surface maintains a very high framerate while scrolling and moving loaded images around. I really think a software update needs to be issued in order to address initial image and video loading. Sites with fewer images and animations load very quickly.

And to the poster above me, yes! Going back a page takes way too long. Its silly.

Last edited:

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Engadget crashes on me and loads slowwwwwww.....but I never go to that site except in rare cases.

Other than that, I have not had any issues with ie10 it's been running great!!

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed when uploading to skydrive my upload was waaaaay slower than my connection actually Is or even sending large emails, makes me think something is up with the WiFi speed on the tablet, I don't think its ie but I have great signal not sure why its slow.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Engadget loads slow for me as well but TheVerge is really quick! On my phone, I got used to opening new threads/topics by holding down and opening in another page so it wouldn't have to reload the previous page when I pressed back. It's become a habit now and I carried it over to my Surface.

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Very SLOW load times on graphics-heavy web pages. It's definitely disappointing. I'm going to try Chrome today and see if it's any better.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Update from me on this. I tested it against my iPad 3 and it is very slow vs the iPad. The only site that loaded faster was men.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Here is a tip. You dont need to use IE to read engadget, the verge, etc.

Go to your news app. swipe down, choose source, then click on engadget in the technology section. now swipe up and pin to start. It works very well and loads quite fast

fija

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
TPL's?

You could add the ****** adblock tpl to ie10. I found mine was slow loading sites till I did this. The search results may say ie9 TPL but they work just fine in 10. Hope that helps.
F

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism