How to enable flash use on streaming sites

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't find the "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml" directory...am i missing something?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, gotta play with this. I wonder if deleting the file completely has any effect.

I'm less worried about the performance impact as I am the security impact. Although no EXE's means no malware, but we also lose the "Compatibility View" updates for out-of-date sites, and it might break SmartScreen too... not sure, but be careful if you're doing this.

Pick your battles, I guess.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, gotta play with this. I wonder if deleting the file completely has any effect.

I'm less worried about the performance impact as I am the security impact. Although no EXE's means no malware, but we also lose the "Compatibility View" updates for out-of-date sites, and it might break SmartScreen too... not sure, but be careful if you're doing this.

Pick your battles, I guess.

Well that's why I only add sites I frequent in Windows already anyways.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
nevermind, found it through search..and it works! awesome! thanks OP!

I see that on the verge there are a lot of comments abt battery life shortened w/ this...would this only affect the battery life if i go on the additional sites that I added or everything now?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

I see that on the verge there are a lot of comments abt battery life shortened w/ this...would this only affect the battery life if i go on the additional sites that I added or everything now?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

They are just referring to the sites you add. Because since they have not been whitelisted, there is no way of knowing if their video player causes excess battery usage.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Flash chews battery life because it's CPU-intensive. If you watch flash on sites that are not "approved", you are likely to have somewhat worsened battery life as you're probably doing this to watch more flash videos ;).

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha! thanks! this is awesome! When i was playing w/ the Surface at the Pop-up store, a guy came up to me and asked me how i liked it...turns out he's from Redmond and was apparently a part of designing the touch cover. I asked him abt Flash cuz I tried the sites i wanna go on aren't working and asked him whether there was a way to add to the whitelist....he didn't know but said he'll bring it back as a feedback...lol guess it doesn't matter now!

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
All a site needs to do to get on the whitelist should be to contact Microsoft and ask - it's the same for the other IE whitelists, so I'm guessing (not certain, but guessing) that getting on the whitelist shouldn't be too difficult (just takes time).

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I cannot find the file or location in the directory... this works for the surface rt right?
yeah, it worked on my surface...i couldn't find it at first but just go to File Explorer and type in "iecompatdata.xml" on the right to search under your "C" and you'll find it

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Entered what link into what task bar?

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml

I opened the folder on my desktop for the hard drive and entered the link above. It sent me to a website with all the domain information but I couldn't edit it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb