11-06-2012 06:05 PM
34 12
tools
    Tried this myself and it worked;

Bypassing the Metro IE10 Flash Whitelist | The Verge Forums

Flash is now working on all of my favorite tv stream sites.
    10-28-2012 08:41 PM
    how do u get to regedit?
    10-28-2012 09:48 PM
    how do u get to regedit?
    You don't have to get to it. Ignore the part about the registry.
    10-28-2012 09:53 PM
    I can't find the "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml" directory...am i missing something?
    10-28-2012 10:28 PM
    I can't find the "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml" directory...am i missing something?
    "admin" is just the user that guy created. Your file path will have your windows user.
    10-28-2012 10:44 PM
    Hmm, gotta play with this. I wonder if deleting the file completely has any effect.

I'm less worried about the performance impact as I am the security impact. Although no EXE's means no malware, but we also lose the "Compatibility View" updates for out-of-date sites, and it might break SmartScreen too... not sure, but be careful if you're doing this.

Pick your battles, I guess.
    10-28-2012 10:48 PM
    Hmm, gotta play with this. I wonder if deleting the file completely has any effect.

I'm less worried about the performance impact as I am the security impact. Although no EXE's means no malware, but we also lose the "Compatibility View" updates for out-of-date sites, and it might break SmartScreen too... not sure, but be careful if you're doing this.

Pick your battles, I guess.
    Well that's why I only add sites I frequent in Windows already anyways.
    10-28-2012 10:49 PM
    nevermind, found it through search..and it works! awesome! thanks OP!

I see that on the verge there are a lot of comments abt battery life shortened w/ this...would this only affect the battery life if i go on the additional sites that I added or everything now?
    10-28-2012 10:53 PM

I see that on the verge there are a lot of comments abt battery life shortened w/ this...would this only affect the battery life if i go on the additional sites that I added or everything now?
    10-28-2012 10:53 PM

They are just referring to the sites you add. Because since they have not been whitelisted, there is no way of knowing if their video player causes excess battery usage.
    10-28-2012 10:59 PM
    Flash chews battery life because it's CPU-intensive. If you watch flash on sites that are not "approved", you are likely to have somewhat worsened battery life as you're probably doing this to watch more flash videos ;).
    10-28-2012 11:00 PM
    Gotcha! thanks! this is awesome! When i was playing w/ the Surface at the Pop-up store, a guy came up to me and asked me how i liked it...turns out he's from Redmond and was apparently a part of designing the touch cover. I asked him abt Flash cuz I tried the sites i wanna go on aren't working and asked him whether there was a way to add to the whitelist....he didn't know but said he'll bring it back as a feedback...lol guess it doesn't matter now!
    10-28-2012 11:11 PM
    I cannot find the file or location in the directory... this works for the surface rt right?
    10-28-2012 11:13 PM
    All a site needs to do to get on the whitelist should be to contact Microsoft and ask - it's the same for the other IE whitelists, so I'm guessing (not certain, but guessing) that getting on the whitelist shouldn't be too difficult (just takes time).
    10-28-2012 11:14 PM
    I cannot find the file or location in the directory... this works for the surface rt right?
    yeah, it worked on my surface...i couldn't find it at first but just go to File Explorer and type in "iecompatdata.xml" on the right to search under your "C" and you'll find it
    10-28-2012 11:17 PM
    Ahh I had to unhide hidden files. But it didn't work with putlocker for me.
    10-28-2012 11:29 PM
    Ahh I had to unhide hidden files. But it didn't work with putlocker for me.
    Make sure to delete temp files in both metro and desktop IE. I specifically got it to work with putlocker.
    10-28-2012 11:34 PM
    I entered the link above into my task bar. I was not able to edit the information that was produced. What am I doing wrong?
    10-28-2012 11:36 PM
    I entered the link above into my task bar. I was not able to edit the information that was produced. What am I doing wrong?
    Entered what link into what task bar?
    10-28-2012 11:39 PM
    Entered what link into what task bar?
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml

I opened the folder on my desktop for the hard drive and entered the link above. It sent me to a website with all the domain information but I couldn't edit it.
    10-28-2012 11:44 PM
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml

I opened the folder on my desktop for the hard drive and entered the link above. It sent me to a website with all the domain information but I couldn't edit it.
    You need to open the iecompatdata.xml with a text editor like Notepad.
    10-28-2012 11:48 PM
    I got gorillavid to work. not on metro though only on desktop. yes I deleted my metro history!
    10-28-2012 11:53 PM
    Thanks. Do you mind helping me out with how I do that? I just need to add one site so I can use this with a website that I use daily for work.
    10-28-2012 11:56 PM
    I got gorillavid to work. not on metro though only on desktop. yes I deleted my metro history!
    Strange. Metro IE is the only one I tried gorillavid/putlocker/nowvideo in and it worked with all.
    10-28-2012 11:56 PM
    Strange. Metro IE is the only one I tried gorillavid/putlocker/nowvideo in and it worked with all.
    errr, im sure im doing something wrong... ill play around with it see what I did wrong
    10-29-2012 12:01 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD