Does WiFi stay on when you turn off the screen?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, does anyone know if Wifi stays on with the Surface RT even when you turn off the screen (not shut down). For example, if I'm downloading something and the screen turns off after a minute, will the Surface continue downloading? What about when you sleep it?

Also another question. Is there a keyboard shortcut for adjusting brightness and toggling Wifi for the Touch cover?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can stream music while the screen is off.

Also, WiFi and brightness is under settings in the charm bar. Probably easiest way

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So it appears that wifi does stay on. Does that mean I should turn off wifi when I plan to turn off the display for a long time to save battery?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
,Yes the Surface has connected whatever, meaning it stays connected even when your screen is off or the cover is closed. So same as a phone with data turn on. The Surface will continue recwive mail and other updates while asleep via WiFi.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
,Yes the Surface has connected whatever, meaning it stays connected even when your screen is off or the cover is closed. So same as a phone with data turn on. The Surface will continue recwive mail and other updates while asleep via WiFi.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Yea that' explains why the battery isn't lasting that long. I thought it was suppose to last like 8 hours but I'm getting less and I haven't used it that much. I just wish there is a faster way of toggling wifi (like a keyboard shortcut). Currently there are 4 steps to toggle wifi (at least on the Surface). Is it possible to assign a keyboard shortcut on the touch cover to toggle wifi?

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yea that' explains why the battery isn't lasting that long. I thought it was suppose to last like 8 hours but I'm getting less and I haven't used it that much. I just wish there is a faster way of toggling wifi (like a keyboard shortcut). Currently there are 4 steps to toggle wifi (at least on the Surface). Is it possible to assign a keyboard shortcut on the touch cover to toggle wifi?

It's designed to have the wifi left on, as someone above said it has a new unique connected standby feature which hardly uses any power.

Your excessive battery drain is more likely to be caused by multitasking and not shutting down applications when you're finished with them, particularly the browser, which seems to max out the CPU checking even simple things like gmail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05