Reverse Touchpad Scrolling Direction?

WilliamButlerOgden

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey, has anyone figured out how to reverse the touchpad scrolling direction? They made it just like OS X Mountain Lion (backwards), and it's irritating me.

I looked through the control panel hardware settings and couldn't find anything, but maybe I missed it.

As a side note, I ordered my Surface with a black Touch Cover, but I had a lot of difficulty typing with it. Went over to the pop-up store here in Chicago and bought a Type Cover and I'm liking it a lot better. If you're debating between the two, definitely get a Type Cover. It has a nice rubberized feel, it's barely thicker than the Touch Cover, and you'll type much faster with it.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't figured a way. But, if you're into flight simulation games at all, think of it in terms of that. You pull down to go up and vice versa. That's how I've trained myself to get used to it at least.

C

corn13read

Why do we need to learn to deal? When something is more comfortable one way why change it?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It is a little annoying but even with the keyboard out, I do a lot of swiping. You could trying using the arrows on the keyboard more instead.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey, has anyone figured out how to reverse the touchpad scrolling direction? They made it just like OS X Mountain Lion (backwards), and it's irritating me.

I looked through the control panel hardware settings and couldn't find anything, but maybe I missed it.

As a side note, I ordered my Surface with a black Touch Cover, but I had a lot of difficulty typing with it. Went over to the pop-up store here in Chicago and bought a Type Cover and I'm liking it a lot better. If you're debating between the two, definitely get a Type Cover. It has a nice rubberized feel, it's barely thicker than the Touch Cover, and you'll type much faster with it.

With respect to your side note, that is a matter of opinion. People should check them out for themselves. Your preference for one over another means nothing with respect what might be best for another person. As someone with a slight dexterity loss in my right hand due to a neck injury, the Touch Cover is far superior for my use. It only responds when I tap a key which means incidental contact (brushing a key with my hand) does not result in stray keystrokes. Just as "mileage may vary" individual preference is really just that and nothing more.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Reverse swiping on a trackpad is completely different than on a touch screen. It makes sense on a touch screen because your brain sees what you are touching and knows you want to push it up. With a track pad you use your 20 year experience of navigating a computer system, in my case at least, to tell you to scroll down to go down and up to go up. Would make no sense to "push" my phone tiles down to scroll down. If there was a scroll bar space in the gutter of wp7.5 then it "could" have made sense to move downward in that area to scroll down. But on a phone you are really pushing stuff in the actual direction you want it to move. On a desktop you are indicating the direction you want to move on the screen. Not sure why there is such a huge difference in the way our brains perceive this but its definitely there.

I think an app or MS really needs to allow people to make the track pad scrolling work like a PC peripheral has always worked.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If you think about it, it actually makes more sense for the trackpad to work this way. Down is down and up is up. Just like it WOULD make more sense for web pages to scroll horizontally and not vertically based on thousands of years in the way we view content. We read left to right or right to left but always horizontally. Yes, there are exceptions to this of course.

However, computers took those paradigms and turned them upside down and we had to learn that. Now, with this... even though it makes sense our brains have been trained a different way and you must retrain it to work how it really does. I got use to it fairly quickly myself.

rhalbert10

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have both covers and recommend the Touch cover if you only get one. With Touch you will leave it on the tablet all the time. It is great to hold flipped back because the keys are nearly flat. It is annoying with the Type cover. With that I take it and off way more and only use if I am about to go into 'power' mode.

Plus, Touch cover is technologically amazing and has personality!!!

S4X

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Check out the app called Trackpad Settings in the Windows Store - allows you to enable/disable the trackpad, scrolling, tap control, and also reverse scroll direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos