"Kindle for Windows 8" Question

Kidderkat

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Oy, I'm going to sound cheap.

Since I've gotten my Surface, I've been leaning more and more toward selling off my Kindle Fire. The issue that I'm having is that I don't know where the content folder is on my Surface and while I would rather use my Surface to read, I have no clue where to transfer my .mobi files on it. And I didn't exactly buy these books... so there's that. :blush: While I love my Kindle, I'd prefer not to have two devices to carry around.

Has anyone found it (yet)? I was able to find it on a friend's Galaxy Note Tab, but no such luck on the Surface.

Thanks!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Oy, I'm going to sound cheap.

Since I've gotten my Surface, I've been leaning more and more toward selling off my Kindle Fire. The issue that I'm having is that I don't know where the content folder is on my Surface and while I would rather use my Surface to read, I have no clue where to transfer my .mobi files on it. And I didn't exactly buy these books... so there's that. :blush: While I love my Kindle, I'd prefer not to have two devices to carry around.

Has anyone found it (yet)? I was able to find it on a friend's Galaxy Note Tab, but no such luck on the Surface.

Thanks!

So your first post is to ask for help in using illegally acquired ebooks, thereby violating user agreements on all sides? I guess there is no where to go but up in this case. I also do sincerely hope no one steps up to aid and abet....

Kidderkat

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
So your first post is to ask for help in using illegally acquired ebooks, thereby violating user agreements on all sides? I guess there is no where to go but up in this case. I also do sincerely hope no one steps up to aid and abet....

While I do sincerely appreciate and enjoy your judgemental undertone, I was just asking if it could be done. Seeing as someone already posted that there may be an app that could do that, I really don't see how my question was any better or worse than the app developer's intent. And the fact that the app was allowed to be posted in the Marketplace in the first place with its capabilities, both obvious and potential, leads me to believe that this really isn't a very far-fetched concept.

There's a whole subforum on this site dedicated to developing for and hacking Windows Phones, which violates user agreements as well, But I digress. I got my answer from another user, and I'm willing to try it out and not press the issue as it isn't that big of a deal.

As for this being my first post, I joined after thinking this would be a friendly and helpful community, as most Microsoft product fan-bases tend to be. Thanks for the reality check. ;)

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
don't see how my question was any better or worse than the app developer's intent.
Think I'd better set you straight regarding the app developer's intent there!

Freda is not an app for ebook piracy, and I in no way condone piracy. Freda is an app for reading DRM-free books in EPUB (also TXT and FB2) formats. It doesn't include any tools for removing DRM protection, so if you have a DRM-protected book, Freda will not be able to read it.

Plenty of publishers (Baen and Tor, to name two) are now publishing their books in DRM-free EPUB format - recognising that in real life, DRM-protection is (a) really easy to circumvent, for anyone who knows how to use Google, and (b) a royal pain in the ass for people who have bought a book, and want to be able to do reasonable things like moving it onto a new PC/phone/whatever when they upgrade.

For your particular case, Freda won't help directly, because it can't read MOBI/Kindle format. But there are programs that can do the format conversion (the best of them is Calibre)

jesmith2013

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I assume you have solved the problem of Mobi files under Windows 8 by now.
However, just in case you haven't seen it, there's the free Book Bazaar Reader app at the Windows Store, for Windows RT and Windows 8.
This can handle Mobi files (and Epub and FB2). .
You can import books from files on the local machine.
I put my Mobi files on a USB memory stick, so I wouldn't end up with two copies on my Surface PC.
I can now read my Mobi files on my Surface RT, without problems.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I still prefer having a dedicated reading device and will be keeping my Fire, although I probably won't be upgrading. BTW, not all Kindle apps are alike. For instance, my Win 7 app has a Spanish dictionary that gives me a right-click Spanish definition when reading a novel in Spanish. My RT did not have that and even my Fire doesn't. I called Amazon at one point and even they were surprised that the Win 7 app had that, and after a 5-minute hold, the associate confirmed and apologized that the Fire did not. So, make sure that the RT app has all the facility you need before dumping your Fire.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I know this is tangential to the topic but I too have thought about circumventing the DRM on my Nook books because Barnes and Nobles will not provide an app for Windows Phone. I have a Nook Simple Touch that I love and I use the Nook app on Surface RT. Let me say I have never circumvented right management before. I don't torrent music or movies, I pay retail for all my books, magazines, movies, etc. I spend hundred of dollars a year on e-books from Barnes and Nobles and I should be able to read my purchased books on my phone. I have emailed Barnes and Nobles to see if an app is even in the works and received no response.

I have considered switching to Amazon Kindle and buying a $139 Kindle Paperwhite but even that would not solve the problem. The WP Kindle app is basic-- one font, no dictionary, no notes, no highlighting-- but does work... most of the time. The Kindle app on RT, however, is crap and the Kindle Store has never worked.

So the choice for now is either Nook that works on RT but not on WP or Kindle that works on WP but not RT. :angry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb