Drop it like it's hot

Panasonic's Toughbook CF-33 is a ridiculously rugged 2-in-1

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Can you handle the truth?

What Apple's latest iPad ads say about Microsoft and Windows

Forecast is cloudy

Windows 10 Cloud will run Win32 apps, but only from the Windows Store

Excessive in a good way

GTX 1050 in a 15-inch convertible? Lenovo went there

Windows goes galactic

Revealed: Samsung's Surface Pro-like Galaxy Book, running Windows 10

We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  1. kendric84's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I was having trouble getting my Surface to recognize my Touch Cover so I rebooted. When it came back up I had four rows of tiles on my Start screen. (See pic)

    I'm 99% sure there is no setting for this and it's controlled by the OS based on screen resolution. Am I crazy?

    Unfortunately, I rebooted again and the fourth row went away :( I think I would actually like having four rows.

    Anyone else seen anything link this?
  2. pinbak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Yes, I restarted mine yesterday and it did the exact samething!! Also, I restarted it again and the 4th row went away. I then went looking for a setting or something to make it this way but couldn't. Be nice to make it that way permanently!
  3. Stormwatch342's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Registry editor hack

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

    Right click in the main window, select New, and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. Now, rename it to Layout_MaximumRowCount. and then open the key to set the custom maximum number of rows. You can restart or log off your computer to implement the changes. On a monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution, you can get up to 6 rows of tiles on the Start Screen.


    [HL]Top 20 Windows 8 Tweaks, Hacks & Tips[/HL]
  4. Stormwatch342's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Just wanted to note I have not tried or tested this. Use at your discretion.
  5. kendric84's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwatch342 View Post
    Registry editor hack

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

    Right click in the main window, select New, and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. Now, rename it to Layout_MaximumRowCount. and then open the key to set the custom maximum number of rows. You can restart or log off your computer to implement the changes. On a monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution, you can get up to 6 rows of tiles on the Start Screen.


    [HL]Top 20 Windows 8 Tweaks, Hacks & Tips[/HL]
    I assume it's some sort of glitch but glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing it.

    Thanks for sharing this tweak!
  6. kendric84's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwatch342 View Post
    Just wanted to note I have not tried or tested this. Use at your discretion.
    I tried it and it didn't work. I also tried changing the other values that seemed to be related to row count, "Layout_MaiximumAvailableHeightCells" and "Layout_AvailableHeightCells" but after a reboot they were set back to their original values.
    theefman likes this.
  7. Stormwatch342's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Possibly only works on x86/x64 or screen resolution takes priority.
  8. Skaughtto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Didn't work for me either - a 4th row would be nice.
  9. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,222 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,610 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    On start screen go to settings charm. Click Tiles at top. Click the slider to more tiles.

    This is on my desktop win8 pro. If you don't have this setting option then its a desktop setting that can be changed
  10. Skaughtto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    On start screen go to settings charm. Click Tiles at top. Click the slider to more tiles.

    This is on my desktop win8 pro. If you don't have this setting option then its a desktop setting that can be changed


    Not an option :(
  11. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,222 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,610 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Sucks, must be a pro option only.
  12. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,416 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,395 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Sucks, must be a pro option only.
    No, the "Show More Tiles" option is based on the resolution and size of the display.
  13. DougB541#CB's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I guess its an option still in the OS but locked out to users with lower resolutions...but I guess a bug sometimes that still changes the amount.

    Interesting...btw, did anyone else have a Windows RT update today? I did but have no idea what the update was for.
  14. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,222 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,610 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, the "Show More Tiles" option is based on the resolution and size of the display.
    What is odd is that my 1080p does not have the more tiles option, but when I use my 1440 screen I get that option. Actually on my 1080p I get 6 tiles vertical and on my 1440 I get 7 tiles. So definitely resolution based. 7 must be the maximum though because when I set my 1080p to portrait I can still only get 7 vertical tiles.
  15. SonofNun's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Hello all,

    Last week, I discovered how to get four rows of tiles on a Surface. Unfortunately it is only temporary, but it is interesting nonetheless. I do wish there was a way to permanently set four rows as the default.

    Here's a link to my post: How to get four rows of tiles on your Surface RT JG's Tech Thoughts

    Thanks,
    Joshua
    @sonofnun
  16. Eric Hon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofNun View Post
    Hello all,

    Last week, I discovered how to get four rows of tiles on a Surface. Unfortunately it is only temporary, but it is interesting nonetheless. I do wish there was a way to permanently set four rows as the default.

    Here's a link to my post: How to get four rows of tiles on your Surface RT JG's Tech Thoughts

    Thanks,
    Joshua
    @sonofnun
    I also was able to replicate the 4 row tiles as you described. it goes back to 3 row tiles after the tablet is in sleep or lock mode.
  17. dev_sec's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Permanent resolution:

    .reg begin -->

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
    "MonitorSize"="15.4"

    <-- end

    Reboot after adding the reg value.

    One more thing - after doing this, flip to portrait mode, swipe Settings -> Tiles -> "Show more tiles" to enable a total of 9 rows in portrait.

    Note that this only affects the modern ui; and, only scales to the minimum permittable font scaling for the actual resolution.
    Last edited by dev_sec; 01-05-2013 at 09:31 PM.
  18. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,416 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,395 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Does that affect anything else in the OS?
  19. dev_sec's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Nope - this only affects the modern ui; and, only scales to the minimum permittable font scaling for the actual resolution.
  20. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,416 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,395 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Thanks for that registry hack, but I gave it a try and as it turns out, it makes the onscreen keyboard tiny, so I can't use it.
  21. fc000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Thanks for that registry hack, but I gave it a try and as it turns out, it makes the onscreen keyboard tiny, so I can't use it.
    Yup, noticed this as well. Keyboard becomes tiny and unusable.
  22. MDboyz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    From other post, changing the MonitorSize to 13.1 will work too. The keyboard is still visible in good size.

    Quote Originally Posted by dev_sec View Post
    Permanent resolution:

    .reg begin -->

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
    "MonitorSize"="15.4"

    <-- end

    Reboot after adding the reg value.

    One more thing - after doing this, flip to portrait mode, swipe Settings -> Tiles -> "Show more tiles" to enable a total of 9 rows in portrait.

    Note that this only affects the modern ui; and, only scales to the minimum permittable font scaling for the actual resolution.
  23. dakranii's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    528 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    I just did 12.1, which I read is the smallest you can do. It works for me. the keyboard is slightly smaller than normal, but it works for me. I can always switch back. But a 4 row looks great, Iove it!
  24. fc000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dakranii View Post
    I just did 12.1, which I read is the smallest you can do. It works for me. the keyboard is slightly smaller than normal, but it works for me. I can always switch back. But a 4 row looks great, Iove it!
    Yup that's right, saw on XDA that 12.1 gives you a more usable on screen keyboard. It's perfect.
  25. Jake_M's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,639 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    I turned my Surface on today and I have 4 tile rows. I didn't do this mod. ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

";