Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    If so, what is it? Extended warranty? How is it activated?

Since there is nothing on the Canadian site worth ordering, I thought I'd put my 50.00 credit towards that.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    If so, what is it? Extended warranty? How is it activated?

Since there is nothing on the Canadian site worth ordering, I thought I'd put my 50.00 credit towards that.
    It's like AppleCare. It's a 2 year warranty for issues like, spills, and technical problems. I got it as I will be on the go with my Surface a lot. I believe it's tied to the actual device as I was not required to activate it.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 w/ 128GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

My Blog: PixelWin

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

I passed on it, I will purchase it when I get the Surface Pro.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Doesn't it already have a one year warranty? I'll buy the extended after one year. And does the Canadian site not sell the sexy Nixon travel case?

Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Doesn't it already have a one year warranty? I'll buy the extended after one year. And does the Canadian site not sell the sexy Nixon travel case?
    You only have I think 14 days to purchase the warranty iirc (unlike Apple).

EDIT:

My bad, you have 45 days to purchase http://surface.microsoftstore.com/st...ESICaching=off

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dos101 View Post
    You only have I think 14 days to purchase the warranty iirc (unlike Apple).

EDIT:

My bad, you have 45 days to purchase Microsoft Store Online
    I plan on upgrading to the Pro otherwise I'd do it

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Ha. No. The cupboard is pretty bare this side of the border.
    My next phone...
    Developer

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Has anyone had success actually purchasing it? I preordered and wanted to add complete. Called the store and they said to go to myservice.surface.com, register, then buy the plan there - but everytime I go to checkout, the page just bombs. Anyone had any luck?

I purchased mine over the phone because I couldn't figure out how to do it on the website separate from the tablet. But they got my e-mail address wrong over the phone so now it's on a separate account from the account that I purchased my Surface on.

I've called and asked how to activate it but nobody can tell me the answer to that.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    What do you mean, you're going to upgrade to the Pro? Is there an upgrade option, or you're just going to buy it separately?

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Yeah, I ordered it today from the online storefront in the Surface section. It automatically tried to order another device, but I removed it and my transaction went through. I just need to verify the Microsoft Complete is linked to my surface. I'll have to get a hold of sales support Monday I suppose.

I was successful registering my surface on the myservice site as well, and it says I have warranty until late January 2014. Weird.
    My next phone...
    Developer

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post

I was successful registering my surface on the myservice site as well, and it says I have warranty until late January 2014. Weird.
    I've only registered, haven't tried the purchase yet, but my warranty also lists Jan 2014. Perhaps some sort of first-wave time chunking going on? Or a presale bonus? Who knows.

When I looked for it on the storefront under the Surface section, there was no option to buy without a device (didn't try adding to cart then removing), but when I called the number it listed, the guy said he could see it in his purchasing system but couldn't add it to a cart. He put me on hold a few minutes, then gave me the site to go to.

I tried the support chat, the guy said 'whats the price' - I told him $99, he said 'oh, they must be selling them now' and said to try it later. Guess I'll hit the phone again next week.

Go to myservice.surface.com, register your device then click the button to purchase an extended plan.

Like the two posters above me, I did it through the store front which I am very certain is. NOT the correct way to buy it. I'll have to also call on Monday and make sure they can link the warranty correctly.

Again, do not get the warranty only through store front.
    Last edited by pbankey; 11-03-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Developer

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My problem is that as soon as I try to purchase it (through myservice.surface.com), I get an error. I get the plan, it asks me to read the terms and accept, and as soon as the billing page opens, it says 'an error occurred' and the payment type dropdown is empty.

Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saedude1983 View Post
    What do you mean, you're going to upgrade to the Pro? Is there an upgrade option, or you're just going to buy it separately?
    He means the Pro version of the Surface tablet. There's only one Microsoft Complete warranty option you can buy.

So, I called the support line to get assistance with making sure the warranty I purchase through the front-end of the store is linked to my retail-purchase Surface.

I got transferred once and the woman on the phone explained that since the warranty I bought was linked to the account that I bought the Surface on, it shouldn't matter.

I still have concerns. What if I bought two surfaces? How would they know which Surface the warranty applied to? I'm just not convinced that they have linked my specific warranty to my specific device. However, I do have the order history and all the details so I am sure they could resolve it if I ever had a claim.

She seemed a little confused, though...

I ordered it on a store, just charged me on the receipt

I check the surface.com site and I have extended warranty till 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pbankey View Post
    So, I called the support line to get assistance with making sure the warranty I purchase through the front-end of the store is linked to my retail-purchase Surface.

I got transferred once and the woman on the phone explained that since the warranty I bought was linked to the account that I bought the Surface on, it shouldn't matter.

I still have concerns. What if I bought two surfaces? How would they know which Surface the warranty applied to? I'm just not convinced that they have linked my specific warranty to my specific device. However, I do have the order history and all the details so I am sure they could resolve it if I ever had a claim.

She seemed a little confused, though...

Okay, story time.

I got a call back from MIcrosoft Store Online today after submitting my warranty registration issue TWO MONTHS ago. Just a little background -- this took four phone calls and two emails to get to this point.

So, I get a call back and in a very awkward phone conversation with the rep, find out their "solution" to my issue is to issue me a refund for the warranty. Fine. Without putting up a fuss with the rep, I just said go ahead to get it over with. I cannot believe it took two months to get that answer back from them.

She puts me on hold for about 4 minutes (the hold music is some strange trance/dubstep fusion, by the way) and then gets me back on the phone:

"Thank you for holding, sir. Just wanted to let you know that our policy states that the warranty has to be purchased within the 30 day window of original purchase of the Surface tablet. Unfortunately your warranty was purchased on November 3rd which goes beyond the 30 days. . . however we will process the refund anyway".

Um, wrong. I purchased the tablet on Oct 26th, on release day, so it's impossible for it to be out of that window and I thought it was 45 days anyway, not 30? This whole conversation was extremely awkward and I felt like the rep had no idea what she was trying to do or say to me the entire time.

So, hoping the warranty purchase page I was supposed to use that was DOWN last time actually works, I'm going to see if I can repurchase my warranty. I'm almost going to put money down that it won't work now because it'll see my surface purchase and registered back in October and tell me I am past the warranty purchase window.

This was such a complete customer service disaster.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    cool story bro