Did the digitizer pen not come with the RT version?

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
One of the main selling points I liked about this was to replace my notes with my engineering courses (and being able to download the course pdf and take notes on top of the class notes). I realized I didn't hear anything about this since the release and did a search on it. Does the pen not come with the RT version?

I also read that the system won't behave as well as it does in the "pro" version (Microsoft Surface Digital Stylus Pen).

The above article came out in July...so I'm just trying to verify. So what have you heard about the Pro digitizer interface versus the RT? And does the RT come with a pen? Even if it doesn't come with a pen itself, has anyone used one yet with the RT?

The pen and it's functionality may push me over the edge for waiting on the pro version. I really wanted something to take notes on, to watch my online classes and a few other things. So the RT would have been good enough for 95% of what I needed it for. The taking notes is a pretty big selling point for me. Thanks for your opinion.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the Pro will have included stylus and a more advanced stylus input digitizer that MS is calling "digital ink stylus support" This is not a feature of the RT

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Surface with Windows 8 Pro
Pen input and pen (included with purchase)

Surface with Windows RT
Capacitive pens available
(basically the same type used for iPads and the like)

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
So, this was something that worried me too when I got the Surface. Admittedly, I haven't kept up with Surface updates in the past few weeks so I just didn't realize that there were going to be two versions.

Despite that, I am still keeping my RT version.

I believe the gaps in pen functionality on the RT version can be made up (in the most important areas) with good apps build for that purpose. If you've ever used an iPad, there are a ton of great handwriting/notetaking apps that use capacitive stylus input. Some even have software enabled palm blocking.

I will say that you can still ink on it today, though it just won't be as accurate or mirror the experience that a true digitizer type of stylus will provide. Check out the writing sample included.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think any of the RT tablets has an active digitizer.

That's why I'm getting one of the Atom powered x86 tablets. It's a little more expensive, but many of them come with wacom active digitizers, they run x86 apps, and get similar battery life to an ARM tablet. I wish Microsoft made an Atom powered Surface, because I'd definitely get that.

Last edited:

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Active digitizers are going to be more expensive too, raising the price point of what is ultimately still a tablet. Given the handwriting recognition of the RT is pretty good with my finger, it is likely to be "good enough" with a capacitive pen. If you want the active digitizer though, you'll have to wait for the Surface Pro or get a tab that's not a Surface that ships with one.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Any one use one of them capacitve pens? Any recommendations?

I use one; the Andoit "jot" stylus. Very different than other capacitive stylus in that it's meant to let you write/draw precisely as possible. If you are looking for something more for the sake of operating the screen, selecting icons, etc then regular rubber tipped stylus might be better. Though, I myself don't know the best type of rubber stylus.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Pbankey, do you like the Adonit stylus? I heard it can leave hairline scratches, but I really like the idea of it. Is this true? I'd use it strictly for hand writing notes in class, I hate the rubber tipped styluses as they seem so inaccurate and big to me.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Pbankey, do you like the Adonit stylus? I heard it can leave hairline scratches, but I really like the idea of it. Is this true? I'd use it strictly for hand writing notes in class, I hate the rubber tipped styluses as they seem so inaccurate and big to me.
Haven't used the Andoit a TON but have never had an issue with it. I strongly recommend the classic or pro over the mini versions.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
One of the main selling points I liked about this was to replace my notes with my engineering courses (and being able to download the course pdf and take notes on top of the class notes). I realized I didn't hear anything about this since the release and did a search on it. Does the pen not come with the RT version?

I also read that the system won't behave as well as it does in the "pro" version (Microsoft Surface Digital Stylus Pen).

The above article came out in July...so I'm just trying to verify. .

I get the feeling after reading the review that the "reviewer" has never used a stylus on an active digitiser before; the palm block technology is minor compared to all the other differences using a stylus on the Pro compared to RT versions of Windows.

If you want the device for note taking I would highly recommend waiting for the Surface Pro and get a copy of OneNote; it's a night and day difference using a stylus on the RT and Pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium