I just returned my Surface

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't take it. I really want the Pro so that I can give up my 2009 MacBook Pro. I love the RT 100% as a tablet, but when I play Xbox Music while browsing for instance, there is noticeable delay when I skip tracks.

I see small amounts of lagging when doing other things as well, like a few games. Not as crisp as I would like. Also, when plugging in a second monitor over HDMI. Just not the performance I want. The RT is a big tease to me. It just makes me want the Pro. Can't wait till it comes out.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
But this is why you buy I product after its been on the market for sometime. Then they have the kinks worked out.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with waiting for the pro. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your RT. I wish I had one.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Early adopters of any product will experience the initial kinks. I too am excited for the pro! The RT is only too ease the wait time for me! Lol

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
But this is why you buy I product after its been on the market for sometime. Then they have the kinks worked out.

I wouldn't say the RT has kinks as far as my concerns were. I just think my experience would be served better if it had the Intel i5 processor that the Pro will use.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Or not. See: iPhone 5 with scuff gate, losing WiFi at random times, maps that are an exercise in hilarity etc.

The adopters of the Surface II are not guaranteed perfection either. As technology changes, problems don't.

Mine is great actually - but then I don't place any unrealistic expectations on it either (I'm not saying the op is btw). It's a tablet - it suffers limited performance because it's components are limited.

I'm good with that.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I understand perfectly. I want a pro too... too many desktop applications I need.

I love my Surface, but there are software imperfections that I cope with while I wait.... And they will be fixed.

For now, though, it's still very useful for 75% of my needs, and I'm mesmerized by the hardware. :)

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Early adopters of any product will experience the initial kinks. I too am excited for the pro! The RT is only too ease the wait time for me! Lol

Wow. If I recall you were bouncing off the walls waiting for your device to arrive. Now you want to toss it for the pro?

Your prerogative I guess. I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow. If I recall you were bouncing off the walls waiting for your device to arrive. Now you want to toss it for the pro?

Your prerogative I guess. I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.
Haha I won't deny that! You should see what I was carrying around to my class before my surface! Had an hp pavilion with a broken fan that was louder than a streetbike! Thoroughly excited to be carrying around the surface in place of that anchor!

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Soooo battery life is a non issue. I'm sure the pro will get whopping 4-5 hours.
GL with the pro.

Lol I sure hope it's not 4-5 hours but greater. I would still accept that as a tradeoff for the hot bottom and sweaty keyboard of my MacBook over 4-5 hours.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Question for people waiting/wanting the pro: why not just pick up a Windows 8 notebook? Something like the Lenovo Yoga? Or are you looking for something smaller?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Question for people waiting/wanting the pro: why not just pick up a Windows 8 notebook? Something like the Lenovo Yoga? Or are you looking for something smaller?

I like the form factor of the Surface Pro, but I dislike RT. I have a traditional laptop, but I want to replace it with something more portable. I will check out some of the OEM's offerings, but I still believe that I will opt for Surface Pro due to its form factor.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I like the form factor of the Surface Pro, but I dislike RT. I have a traditional laptop, but I want to replace it with something more portable. I will check out some of the OEM's offerings, but I still believe that I will opt for Surface Pro due to its form factor.

Same here. I don't like the design of what's out there. The Surface does it for me.

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the alternative to RT, the CloverTrail devices?

They cost about the same, are fanless, same or longer battery life and run all existing windows programs. Even the size and weight is similar.

MS is not releasing one, but just about everyone else is, should be showing up anyday now...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the alternative to RT, the CloverTrail devices?

They cost about the same, are fanless, same or longer battery life and run all existing windows programs. Even the size and weight is similar.

MS is not releasing one, but just about everyone else is, should be showing up anyday now...

I want an Ivy Bridge device, not a Clover Trail device.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I consider myself torn between the Pro and the Asus Taichi which I find to be an incredibly gorgeous device! Surface will be more compact but the Taichi will be a fantastic laptop and a great tablet whereas the Surface will be a great laptop and a fantastic tablet! Mostly comes down to pricing between the too as well as the initial reviews of them.

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I consider myself torn between the Pro and the Asus Taichi which I find to be an incredibly gorgeous device! Surface will be more compact but the Taichi will be a fantastic laptop and a great tablet whereas the Surface will be a great laptop and a fantastic tablet! Mostly comes down to pricing between the too as well as the initial reviews of them.

Guess it comes down to if you want a primarily a laptop or tablet.

For something that will primarily be a tablet even a 11.5" seems large.

That's why the Pro looks best to me.

If I was looking for laptop first 11.5-13" would be great.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro