Managing Music

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Looking for some help here, this question is primarily based around my Surface, though -

I use iTunes as my primary music software on the PC - and do not use the Xbox Music except to shuffle songs around for my Windows Phone.

Now I want my music on my Surface. The Xbox Music Cloud appears to have found about 1/5 of my library (shockingly low number, I listen to mainstream commercial garbage). So that is cool. I did not have to do anything. But, I want the rest of my music on the Surface.

Also, how do I get Xbox to recognize my songs? I will use a well known example of a song I used to secretly love, until I found out everyone secretly loved it, Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe. How the heck can MS not find this!

I see my Music syncing options as:

1. Buy an Xbox Music Pass. The limitation here is that I will be maintaining two music services - am I correct to assume Xbox Music cannot go on the iPod (iTunes)? Would have to maintain two separate collections.

2. Physically move my music onto the Surface with a USB or something...? Limitation: this seems inefficient.

Do I have other choices? SkyDrive?

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Many songs purchased on iTunes in the past were drm protected, could that be the issue?

I think those only play on Apple devices?

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
xbox video is no where near the mess Music is right now.

The issue is they tried to bring both streaming and your collection to one app....but have zero way of managing your collection.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Music app should have been a direct port of Zune, without all the Zune logos and branding.

Zune is PERFECT for managing music.

The Xbox Music app is the worst thing since iTunes.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
xbox video is no where near the mess Music is right now.

The issue is they tried to bring both streaming and your collection to one app....but have zero way of managing your collection.

While I understand how Xbox video could be fine for some..try having hundreds of movies and tv shows that the Zune tagged correctly and organized. Now they are just thrown into one giant mess. Furthermore, there is no way to even begin to start organizing the mess. If they had an ape for a beta tester and a library of more than 20 songs and 5 videos, he could have told them both these programs were a nightmare.

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
While I understand how Xbox video could be fine for some..try having hundreds of movies and tv shows that the Zune tagged correctly and organized. Now they are just thrown into one giant mess. Furthermore, there is no way to even begin to start organizing the mess. If they had an ape for a beta tester and a library of more than 20 songs and 5 videos, he could have told them both these programs were a nightmare.

Ah, i have a minor video collection that i don't really go into often so i can see why it isn't bothering me.

That sucks...hopefully a 3rd party company steps it up if MS does not.

O.f.f.r.o.a.d

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
There is "Music Info" App that looks promising... just bought it for the Surface AND Windows 8 PC. I think the guys are even working to have it work with a remote control for the big screen so it'll work on a 10" screen as well as a 60' screen... :cool:

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
There is "Music Info" App that looks promising... just bought it for the Surface AND Windows 8 PC. I think the guys are even working to have it work with a remote control for the big screen so it'll work on a 10" screen as well as a 60' screen... :cool:

Fantastic tip! The app blows Xbox Music out of the water! Still can't edit any of your files metadata, but I have only found two problems out of 1000's of my songs. Thanks again for the suggestion... love it. Reminds me of why many of us fell in love with the Zune software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb