Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Cornbean7077's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #26  
    Thanks for the info guys!!!
  2. Highdefjunkie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.

    Google doc's will suffice for 99.9% of all students. Quick Office or even some of the iWork's app's is an adequate substitute for people being productive on the iPad.
    I find this hard to believe, because I only read a few people here and there returning it. In fact it was quite the opposite at the store I was at (which was packed) and the sales guy said this is our third restocking.
  3. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.
    LOL. So you are basing your "number of returns is staggering" statement from some dude you know that works in one store? Wow, those are some solid facts. So you have a store employee, and a line of customers. Hmm, sounds like a good enough sample size to me.
  4. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.

    Google doc's will suffice for 99.9% of all students. Quick Office or even some of the iWork's app's is an adequate substitute for people being productive on the iPad.
    I dunno that last statement you made is pretty broad. I just had someone ask me at a Starbucks about formatting his resume on his ipad and I really tried to help him. Anyone who does serious document work appreciates Word, no matter what version it is since the shortcuts and general format is the same. In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.
  5. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    I dunno that last statement you made is pretty broad. I just had someone ask me at a Starbucks about formatting his resume on his ipad and I really tried to help him. Anyone who does serious document work appreciates Word, no matter what version it is since the shortcuts and general format is the same. In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.
    And it's not just Word. It's comical sometimes the way a Google presentation formats some of my PowerPoint presentations. And the other intangibles like you mentioned; shortcuts for example, just can't be duplicated. Google Docs is useful for quick and dirty work, but for any kind of serious word processing it's really hard to beat Word.
  6. Cornbean7077's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #31  
    So, it says it's in stock, but everytime I add it to cart, it gives me an error. Why Microsoft? D:
  7. Cornbean7077's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #32  
    I ordered it!!!! :D
    NickA likes this.
  8. bpgui's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #33  
    Picked one up last night at the St. Louis galleria. I was waiting for the Pro, but after spending a good deal of time playing with the display models* my wife mentioned she'd like one, so I got to buy an RT now, and when the Pro comes out, give it to her and I get the pro.

    *during which time several people bought one, and I didn't see a single return
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.
    There's one guy left at my firm that still uses Wordperfect.
  9. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpgar View Post
    There's one guy left at my firm that still uses Wordperfect.
    Let me guess, he runs that next to Lotus 1-2-3?
  10. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA44 View Post
    And it's not just Word. It's comical sometimes the way a Google presentation formats some of my PowerPoint presentations. And the other intangibles like you mentioned; shortcuts for example, just can't be duplicated. Google Docs is useful for quick and dirty work, but for any kind of serious word processing it's really hard to beat Word.
    Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?
  11. emigrating's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?
    Are you seriously suggesting that Google Docs is a replacement for Office? ****, it's not even a good replacement for the Office Web Apps.

    Anyway, back to the original topic - shifting them from stores to the fulfillment center wouldn't do anyone any favors and there are very good reasons why they are no longer allowing pre-orders of [temporarily] out of stock models. As for there being a high return-rate, this is the first I've heard of this, could you please provide me with the details of store in question so I can look into this?
  12. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?
    What @emigrating said above this post. I'm not going to run down a list of features that Word has the GDocs does not. I'm not saying GDocs is a bad tool, but it's simply not a replacement for MS Word. And they are not trying to be a replacement, just an alternative when you need to do some basic editing.
  13. Jason De Castro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #38  
    Has anyone ordered a surface that isn't out of stock? If so how long did it take to ship? Im a very impatient person :)
  14. DonMorris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #39  
    I am wondering the same thing. I placed an order for the 64GB model in the UK this morning and my order process has not changed all day; Status: In process.

    I can wait but would like to have an estimated date at the very least.
  15. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMorris View Post
    I am wondering the same thing. I placed an order for the 64GB model in the UK this morning and my order process has not changed all day; Status: In process.

    I can wait but would like to have an estimated date at the very least.
    Has your credit card been charged? Normally they won't charge it until it ships. Also, some members here reported that even after their Surface got delivered, their order status still said Processing.
  16. DonMorris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Has your credit card been charged? Normally they won't charge it until it ships. Also, some members here reported that even after their Surface got delivered, their order status still said Processing.
    The funds have been reserved but no actual charge has taken place. I'll keep an eye on the money then, thanks ;)
  17. emigrating's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMorris View Post
    The funds have been reserved but no actual charge has taken place. I'll keep an eye on the money then, thanks ;)
    I think they are back on track now so delivery should only be a couple days at within the UK.
  18. DonMorris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #43  
    Well it arrived this morning :) No email confirmation and the money has not yet left my account.

    By pure chance I was working from home today when the UPS man delivered it.

    It is still early days but overall I am very happy with my purchase.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

";