Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    Marketplace apps seem to have not changed since launch. Surface picks are almost all the same, Top Free is almost all the same. Even New Releases has a bunch of stuff that isn't new.

Where are the apps?

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    It's only been a week. Give it time.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I mean why do we even have any expectations for any new apps anyway? were still waiting to have the ability to even buy one of the new WP8 Devices.

Do a search for * then sort by release date. The featured apps aren't updated very frequently, but new apps are being added.
    Developer of Brain App for Windows Phone and Windows 8 / RT
    Thanked by:
    ylksa 
    ylksa likes this.
    Personally I thought that with so much riding on an awesome launch that we would see many more top tier apps in the marketplace, especially games. I remember a list that Microsoft put out with about 25 games that were coming for the launch period so hopefully as the weeks go by we will start seeing them. So far I love my Surface so I do not mind waiting.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highdefjunkies View Post
    It's only been a week. Give it time.
    horse manure.....there should be a steady stream of apps! Windows Phone was submitting more apps than this on a weekly basis at launch.

This situation is getting really bad. I mean not even a SINGLE major name release since the Surface came out. The apps available at launch were nice...BUT A BARE MINIMUM.

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    wow...some people are not cut out to be early adopters.

more apps than both android and ipad at launch. Higher quality apps than Android (IMO).

If you can't wait, don't buy a product day 1. Bottom line.

Not true. The apps are coming. I would rather them take an extra week or two to polish them, than release buggy product.

I had emailed the devs on the NoteAnywhere surface version, and they release it this morning, so apps *are* getting released

hang in there

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Most new applications will be pushed through on a single day of the week. Just like the Apple store or the Android store.

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    I was afraid the lack of a Youtube app would annoy me...good thing 3rd party devs stepped up and delivered two great ones imo.

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    Aren't all the Windows 8 Metro apps compatible with Windows RT?

Is the Windows 8 app store as bare with Metro Apps? I have W8 on my computer at home but honestly haven't checked

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post

Is the Windows 8 app store as bare with Metro Apps? I have W8 on my computer at home but honestly haven't checked
    The vast majority are. Its something like 95%.

There are almost 10,000 apps...its not bare...its just missing some that some people want...i guess people want an official twitter app though imo they have always made the worst apps.

Same with Facebook but thats more understandable as the People's app doesn't REALLY let you browse facebook.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts

it actually has MORE because microsoft allows legacy desktop apps to cerify for the store so they show up as listings. Also, all of Microsoft's games collections are x86 only. Deplorable that you can play solitaire and mine sweeper on x86 but not ARM.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    wow...some people are not cut out to be early adopters.

more apps than both android and ipad at launch. Higher quality apps than Android (IMO).

If you can't wait, don't buy a product day 1. Bottom line.
    the whole "more apps at launch" line was lame the first time I heard it. Still is. These days, you HAVE TO have a certain basic catalog of apps at launch. They got the basics figured out, but Microsoft HAS NO CLUE how to run an apps store. And can we stop the quality vs quanity argument. Windows is the largest OS install base in the world so it should have a larger quantity of apps WITH better quality. The indie dreck I'm seeing in the store right now is NOT of better quality than Android. Many of the devs can't even figure out how to publish their store icon correctly, ending up in a "X" for the icon.

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    No. Apps made for Windows 8 Phone will not run on Windows 8 RT.

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    The vast majority are. Its something like 95%.
    Where did you get this info? I hope it's correct but from what I've read Phone apps will not run on RT.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post

Where did you get this info? I hope it's correct but from what I've read Phone apps will not run on RT.
    No one said anything about Windows Phone 8 apps. Reading fail.

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts

Windows 8 != Windows Phone 8

There is no such thing as Windows 8 RT. There is Windows 8 and Windows RT.

Windows 8 = Full OS
    Windows RT = Metro OS
    Windows Phone 8 = Phone OS

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    it actually has MORE because microsoft allows legacy desktop apps to cerify for the store so they show up as listings. Also, all of Microsoft's games collections are x86 only. Deplorable that you can play solitaire and mine sweeper on x86 but not ARM.
    Ok, so now I'm shamefully confused :)

What does it mean that they are certified? Does it mean they will run on Windows 8 with no compatibility issues? And will the Store be broken down into Windows 8, Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Phone apps?

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Ok, so now I'm shamefully confused :)

What does it mean that they are certified? Does it mean they will run on Windows 8 with no compatibility issues? And will the Store be broken down into Windows 8, Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Phone apps?
    No one is talking about Windows Phone 8 apps...Metro != Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    No one is talking about Windows Phone 8 apps...Metro != Windows Phone.
    So when you say Metro, you are talking about Windows Phone 7? Because Metro is not used anymore, correct?

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndschris View Post
    Do a search for * then sort by release date. The featured apps aren't updated very frequently, but new apps are being added.
    This.

There are some days as many as 300 new apps added.

IMO, MS needs to do a better job at featuring new apps.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    So when you say Metro, you are talking about Windows Phone 7? Because Metro is not used anymore, correct?
    ...? Metro meaning start menu apps in Windows 8/RT. It has nothing to do with Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    This.

I'm sure they will do it weekly like google and apple.
    Thanked by:
    NickA 

I check the individual categories and then sort by newly released. The "new releases" section, that you see when you first go to the marketplace, isn't up the minute.

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    This.

This might be it. I'm looking now and there are definitely new apps, but the "new releases" tile isn't updated.

Hitting the text selection header isn't all that intuitive. They should highlight that as an actual link. As of now the header seems just that: a header and not a selectable link

Nearly 2,000 new "ARM/X86/X64" Apps have been added since release. When i first got my Surface there were about 5,000 apps in the store, looking today there are nearly 7,000 which account for a 40% increase in about 1 week.

Honestly I dont feel like I'm missing much because the browser is pretty good. I am able to stream my amazon instant streaming, hulu, HBO GO all from the metro browser sans an app. I'll wait to see what cool must have games come out like Civilaztion but im happy. Also in the states it seems like almost every network is developng or has developed a streaming app (although the CW only supports x64 x86 chipsets which seems weird)

Anyone know how many x64/x86 exclusive apps there are?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast