Is the Surface too expensive?

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand and agree that a Surface RT for $200 was unrealistic, but isn't $500 for the RT (not the pro) without a cover and with only 32GB a bit pricy? To me, it does sound very expensive - especially when you remember that you'd probably want a cover of some kind...

You can get the black touch cover for $100 or one of the colours for $120. 100 to 120 dollars?! :eek: And if you like I want a more traditional typing experience you will have to throw $130 at your tablet.

To sum up, I can personanlly live with 32GB (no way I'm ever going to fill that with apps, documents or pictures anyway), but getting what I need would cost me $629 - why not just buy a laptop then?

I'm not ranting here, I'm genuinely curious as to why the tablet and especially the touch and type cover are so expensive because I don't really get it. :/

Links to Microsoft.com:
http://surface.microsoftstore.com/s...age.Surface?ESICaching=off&WT.mc_id=FY13WinHH

http://surface.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/Content/pbpage.Type_Cover?ESICaching=off

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's on the same levels with an iPad with no equivalent of the touchcover. That said, I think all Apple products are overpriced, but I think the Surface is still within limits due to the the amazing high quality physical design, the keyboard/cover solutions and Office 2013.

Why not buy a laptop? Cos they usually arnt tablets and tablets have their very certain niche to them that laptops often dont fully fill. In addition you'd probably get a much heavier and bigger device that has fans, heats and doesnt have a touch screen.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
To being competitive with Apple, yes they are too expensive by $100. You may not get the keyboard, but you are getting more processor, screen, and app store with iPad 4.

I think the Surface's would have had much more demand at a lower price point even if it was competing with it's OEM's. Microsoft needs that initial push to get into the tablet sphere that it's so far behind in.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft created the Surface, to show OEMs how a device should be made. Its a proof of concept, a tech demo.

Even at this price, several OEMs have been critical of Microsoft making their own hardware.

Hopefully the surface makes the OEMs raise their game, and create some really nice devices too.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
To being competitive with Apple, yes they are too expensive by $100. You may not get the keyboard, but you are getting more processor, screen, and app store with iPad 4.

I think the Surface's would have had much more demand at a lower price point even if it was competing with it's OEM's. Microsoft needs that initial push to get into the tablet sphere that it's so far behind in.

Well said and I completely agree.

I love my surface and didn't mind paying 600 for the tablet and touch cover but we are trying to break into a market that is dominated by Apple so we need to provide consumers with more incentive to jump on board. Let us be honest about the Tegra 3 too. While it has some good to great performance it just cant compete with the Ipad 4 for speed and graphics. So coming out with the Surface for around what the ipad 4 is going for is not going to convince people that are on the fence. If the Surface was priced at 399 for the base model it would put us in a more favorable position and more in line with the new Nexus 10 which also has more power and higher res screen than the surface.

Office is a great incentive for the RT and does add a TON of value in my opinion but I am just not sure the average tablet consumer is going to see it the same way.

I hope I am wrong as I am all in with Microsoft. I have my Xbox, Win8 Pro on my laptop, my Titan Windows Phone (soon to be Lumia 920!!) and of course my Surface!

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft created the Surface, to show OEMs how a device should be made. Its a proof of concept, a tech demo.

Even at this price, several OEMs have been critical of Microsoft making their own hardware.

Hopefully the surface makes the OEMs raise their game, and create some really nice devices too.

I wouldn't go so far to say that this is a proof of concept, or a tech demo. This is a lot of money to pay for a proof of concept. Make no mistake; this is a production, ready for the world device. Microsoft is all in on it. Same thing with the rumored phone they may make. They aren't going to rely on the Asus's, Acers or the likes to make them a success. I like that they are taking control.

If I can twist your words a bit, I think MS meant this to be the standard other OEM's should follow. A solid, well built piece of hardware. It is worthy of the 499.00 price tag and competitively priced considering the 32GB iPad is 100 bucks higher.

I think they should have released a cover similar to the Smart Cover for 40 bucks for people that didn't want the touch/type covers.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is overpriced one bit.

A few reasons, first of all, Microsoft has spent a lot resources and money to design the RT (and PRO). They are a business after all and they need to make money.

Second, this is a first generation device. One should expect to pay out of their nose for it. I guess some people call it early adopter tax. :confused:

I expect pressure from other companies (Asus, Samsung, ...) had something to do with it as well. Imagine if Microsoft priced RT at $400 or $450, it will put price pressure on them.

Just my $0.02.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly it's priced just right. I didn't want Microsoft to set a trend where they immediately slash prices if its not selling mega-millions right off the bat. That's not how your build successful brands.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Honestly it's priced just right. I didn't want Microsoft to set a trend where they immediately slash prices if its not selling mega-millions right off the bat. That's not how your build successful brands.

Exactly. As soon as there is a price cut on any tablet, the blogs start calling it a failure and compare it to the HP TouchPad fire sale.

No need to drop the price like you said. This isn't a cheap Acer Iconia or anything.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. As soon as there is a price cut on any tablet, the blogs start calling it a failure and compare it to the HP TouchPad fire sale.

No need to drop the price like you said. This isn't a cheap Acer Iconia or anything.

That's what people don't get. The only way you build a successful, profitable brand is by:

1. Make a high quality product
2. Price it accordingly
3. Market it well
4. Don't panic when sales are not spectacular right away
5. Be patient.

Cutting prices just signals bargain basement bin time, ala HP TouchPad fire sale. The reason why I don't think Surface tablets will fail in the long run is Microsoft has the cash to produce a 2nd, 3rd generation. Look at Samsung, the kept at it until their Galaxy Phones became fully competitive with the iPhone on a profit-level.

Remember next year there will be a 2nd Gen Surface RT with 1080p display, better SoC and much better app situation. You just have to keep at it, like a spiral.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would it be overpriced? I think the iPad is overpriced but that's just my opinion. One person may have a use for the iPad but I sure as **** didn't! I tried it and was done with it after 6 months. Surface to me is in a whole different league the iPad. If I can do more with my product than the best tablet on the market!

Again it comes to personal use... for me the ability to have folders, have hdmi out, have expandable storage in the sd card.. be able to hook a number of different devices through usb, have a kickstand, and have the option to click in a full keyboard when I want..... is worth far more than all the apps money can buy! ( which I believe if were patient will start showing up as well)

chuks22

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
this thread is pointless. my pocket and yours are not equal. it could be cheap for james and expensive for john. therefore no correct ans to your thread.

Last edited:

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
It's overpriced because it's too high to gain valuable market share. This isn't price slashing, the price should have been $100 less from the start, and now it's too late.

For me, this is more worth it than an iPad, but to the majority of the world, it isn't because of the severe lack of apps (and thus usefulness of the device). I would easily give this device a 9/10 if it weren't for the fact that the processor isn't up to snuff.

Also with V1, you don't pay more cash, you pay for lack of refined user experience and I'm fine with that. This device was made to compete head on with the iPad and I don't think people want to do that. This device should have never been sold without a touch cover just to have a an entry at $400. Most of the device isn't usable without a touch/type cover, so I don't understand why they offered it at all, they should have just made it enter at $400 with the touch cover included. After gaining market and demand, they can do whatever they want with V2.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's overpriced because it's too high to gain valuable market share. This isn't price slashing, the price should have been $100 less from the start, and now it's too late.[/quore]

They're not trying to make a big play for market share. They only sell it through Microsoft Stores.

The Surface is a product that shows what Windows 8 can do on ARM. It's there to set a bar. What kind of example would it set if they had to use cheap parts and shoddy quality in order to bring it to a lower price point?

For me, this is more worth it than an iPad, but to the majority of the world, it isn't because of the severe lack of apps (and thus usefulness of the device). I would easily give this device a 9/10 if it weren't for the fact that the processor isn't up to snuff.

Also with V1, you don't pay more cash, you pay for lack of refined user experience and I'm fine with that. This device was made to compete head on with the iPad and I don't think people want to do that. This device should have never been sold without a touch cover just to have a an entry at $400. Most of the device isn't usable without a touch/type cover, so I don't understand why they offered it at all, they should have just made it enter at $400 with the touch cover included. After gaining market and demand, they can do whatever they want with V2.

Surface isn't a direct iPad competitor. It's also not a direct laptop competitor.

It's something different. It will find its own niche.

People think it's a direct iPad competitor just because it comes in a tablet form factor.

Surface with Microsoft Office is different.

It's the device you can take with you when you go somewhere, instead of taking two devices.

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I found it too pricey too, and it gets worse considering the low-res (by modern standards) display and effective storage capacity.

It's way too overpriced for an underdog.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you're a student and you need something that has REAL MS Word so that you can do your assignments, but you also want to browse the web and play touch based games, what do you do?

Up until now, you've had to have a laptop + a tablet.

If you're a business person taking a business trip, and you need MS Office, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint, but you also want to take something that you can kill time with and play touch based games like Fruit Ninja... what do you do?

Up until now, you've had to have a laptop + a tablet.

Many people out there have a laptop and a tablet, and making the choice between which to take is a pretty common process for them. Often times, they end up taking BOTH.

How much is the convenience of Surface worth to you? How much is the price of a laptop + a tablet?

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Winning Guy said:
Surface isn't a direct iPad competitor. It's also not a direct laptop competitor.

People think it's a direct iPad competitor just because it comes in a tablet form factor.

No, Steve Ballmer himself has stated that the Surface is to compete with other tablet offerings and compete with the leading competitor on price point.

The goal of this device is to show gain tablet market share against the iPad, and also to show OEM's how to not make cheap crap.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
It's way too overpriced for an underdog.

That's the best, most accurate thing posted on here. Because of Google, HP, and BB all selling their tablets for $100-250, people have it in their minds that if it isn't an iPad, it's not worth much more than that. HP single handedly ruined it for everyone else.

As far as being able to use word as a student...lol. You can use Google Doc's to do most tasks that a student could ever want. Same goes for the iPad and buying a separate keyboard. Will it cost more, heck yes. Will it work as well, and you have more games and apps and it all work smoother? Heck yes.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Surface isn't for everyone.

If you'd rather work with Google Docs, have fun with that.

MS doesn't need to be in a position of fear. They have a great product. It is priced competetively for what it brings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077