Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. alansari_ammar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    I really don't want to ask a stupid question here but I (through my journey waiting for the Surface since announcement) never realized that Flash wasn't supported on the W8 RT, is this true?

    I hated so much on iPad not supporting flash and thought this would not be an issue with Windows (even RT version) at the end of the day its Windows and Flash player is pretty standard.

    When trying to install Flash in both Metro and Desktop mode I get directed to a support page where it talks about website not be on the list of compatibility or something.

    I stumbled upon this problem when trying to view a few channels on LiveStation website and a few other websites.

    Anyone can elaborate on this or is that it for Flash on W8 RT? Thanks,

    here is a link if you would like to test through Surface
    http://www.livestation.com/en/bbc-world
    Last edited by alansari_ammar; 11-06-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add link
  2. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    #2  
    Surface RT has "limited Flash", meaning that flash only works on sites MS has whitelisted. Flash is a major security risk and all that, however you can do some tweaking and edit the whitelist yourself.

    Try this: http://forums.wpcentral.com/surface-...lash+whitelist
  3. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    205 Posts
    #3  
    It supports flash on almost every common site. The smaller sites for obvious reasons are not included unless the applied to be on the whitelist through microsoft. If you are wondering, which many people are, some porn sites/streaming sites work some don't. There is a workaround by editing the actual xml file that contains all the whitelist information and adding the site there. It works but has a detrimental effect on your battery life. But if you are ok with that then by all means do it.

    An important side note is that a flash update has just been released today, don't really know what it will do, currently downloading and installing.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    It supports flash on almost every common site. The smaller sites for obvious reasons are not included unless the applied to be on the whitelist through microsoft. If you are wondering, which many people are, some porn sites/streaming sites work some don't. There is a workaround by editing the actual xml file that contains all the whitelist information and adding the site there. It works but has a detrimental effect on your battery life. But if you are ok with that then by all means do it.

    An important side note is that a flash update has just been released today, don't really know what it will do, currently downloading and installing.
    idk if you could say its "detrimental" to the battery, I actually haven't found any difference in battery life compared to the whitelisted sites!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  5. Gken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    205 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    idk if you could say its "detrimental" to the battery, I actually haven't found any difference in battery life compared to the whitelisted sites!
    I forget what thread I read and tested it also. But some sites use poorly written flash advertisements or just poorly coded flash in general. Which then uses more cpu, which in turn uses more battery power. Again it depends on which sites you want to go to. But yeah it is a cool workaround, and for most sites that don't have too mand ads and stuff it is GREAT! Honestly I find myself using my laptop less and less.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    I forget what thread I read and tested it also. But some sites use poorly written flash advertisements or just poorly coded flash in general. Which then uses more cpu, which in turn uses more battery power. Again it depends on which sites you want to go to. But yeah it is a cool workaround, and for most sites that don't have too mand ads and stuff it is GREAT! Honestly I find myself using my laptop less and less.
    ahh I haven't encountered sites with flash ads, I can definitely see that as a powerhog!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  7. alansari_ammar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #7  
    I actually applied the method above and it worked but my question would be What other parts of the surface would change from stopping the automatic update to the xml list? or is that it just I would not have the latest of websites list? what about this flash update which I did not get an update notification on on my Surface?
  8. #8  
    it will affect only the list. I haven't installed the flash update yet, but pull over the charm bar and go to your pc settings and check for updates
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  9. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #9  
    Flash does not control the IE whitelist. That is handled with IE.

    IE determines what is and isn't allowed. Not Flash.

Posting Permissions