Touch cover a bit crap :(

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the problems I am with touch covers.

My understanding is that the following should be true:

Attach touch cover, put stand out, put on desk, give it a couple of seconds and keyboard will work.
Close touch cover, screen will go off
Open touch cover, keyboard will work
Flip touch cover round the back, keyboard will be disabled
Flip touch cover back round, keyboard will work

None of the above works reliably on mine. Sometimes I'll have to flip the cover around several times, turn the screen on and off with the power button or remove/reattach the cover a few times. It will then work for a while. It does however very rarely turn the screen off when i close it.

I've had the touch cover replaced by MS to no avail.

Is this a wide spread issue (ie the software is ****e), I haven't read anyone else saying this... or is something wrong with my Surface :-(

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Attach touch cover, put stand out, put on desk, give it a couple of seconds and keyboard will work.

None of the above works reliably on mine. Sometimes I'll have to flip the cover around several times, turn the screen on and off with the power button or remove/reattach the cover a few times. It will then work for a while. It does however very rarely turn the screen off when i close it.

Is this a wide spread issue (ie the software is ****e), I haven't read anyone else saying this... or is something wrong with my Surface :-(

Writing this on my Surface with TouchCover. All of the above work just fine for me. I dont think it's a widespread issue, but I've heard a handful of similar reports here. Chances are either the touchcover or your Surface is defective. You live any close to an MS Store?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
mine was having those exact issues, they tried to change the touch cover and that wouldn't help, then they exchanged my surface for a new one, old touch cover still wouldn't work, then they changed that with a new one too, now everything works fine.

probably a bad batch of both out there, but really happy with the customer service i got at the msft store.

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for making me sure that I'm not just being a bit crazy or that the product is plain poor.

It's clear that the Surface must be faulty so I'll arrange to have it replaced with Microsoft and then (hopefully) one of the two touch covers I have will work perfectly!

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for making me sure that I'm not just being a bit crazy or that the product is plain poor.

It's clear that the Surface must be faulty so I'll arrange to have it replaced with Microsoft and then (hopefully) one of the two touch covers I have will work perfectly!

Let us know how the exchange goes. I hope the next one works much better for you.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Both my touch and type covers work perfectly. And yes, I love being a beta tester. Got three software programs (two well known brands) not playing nice with my new Asus i7 desktop running Win8. Trying to help support figure it out. **** happens. Even Forrest knows that.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, and every other product released now a days. There's such a rush to get things out. This product seems pretty solid though so I'm not sure what you mean.
Not to mention, being a "beta tester" for Microsoft is much better than other companies! I mean, I would call everything Zune beta and boy did I love that experience! I think Microsoft treats their "beta testers" right with upgrades and perks. I mean a couple times I got an email giving me free ms points or free month of Zune pass for being a long time Zune owner!

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention, being a "beta tester" for Microsoft is much better than other companies! I mean, I would call everything Zune beta and boy did I love that experience! I think Microsoft treats their "beta testers" right with upgrades and perks. I mean a couple times I got an email giving me free ms points or free month of Zune pass for being a long time Zune owner!

yeah I have had soo many beta feeling products lately its not even funny! To be honest the quality on a lot of things in my eyes has just gone down even with all the advancements cause the products are soo mass produced. Surface is really good to me though, doesn't feel like it was rushed at all! to be fair the first gen ipad i had was very good to, but to me had less components that all worked together like surface has

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well anyone who actually buys a Surface RT right now is a glorified beta tester....

Anyone who buys any tech product on any day is a glorified beta tester, whether that product is a first release or some later update. Do you have a point or are you just making sure you have had some internet visibility?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who buys any tech product on any day is a glorified beta tester, whether that product is a first release or some later update. Do you have a point or are you just making sure you have had some internet visibility?

I never had any issues with my 1st gen iPad, never ever ever ever. I felt like a got a perfect finished product. Guess what, no problems with 2nd or 3rd gen iPads either!

Some splitting Surface Touch Covers reported

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I never had any issues with my 1st gen iPad, never ever ever ever. I felt like a got a perfect finished product. Guess what, no problems with 2nd or 3rd gen iPads either!

Some splitting Surface Touch Covers reported

The iPhone 5 is making up for it though, isn't it? Crap maps, scuff gate, problems with wifi and on it goes. And it's 5th generation.

Wow.

You have zero credibility.

Common iPad problems: how to solve them | News | TechRadar

Yup. No problems at all.:straight:

yaoye78

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you have a faulty one... why not contact MS for a replacement.

Mine works great. Closing touch cover does not necessary immediately turn off screen though (I tested it in the dark).

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft are shipping a replacement Surface on Monday. Sending back the faulty one separately. Good customer service.

Hope this one works!

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just received the replacement. The difference with the keyboard is huge. Has worked every time I've tried to use it, exactly as it should.

I'm retaining a little healthy skepticism and will see how it goes by the end of the day but very pleased with MS support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99