Surface compared to iPad in audio performance

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Great video. But seriously, audio is my only Surface disappointment so far. Volume is just too low. Didn't expect deep, rich sound. But also didn't expect to be running at 100 and straining to hear a video with some background noise in a room. Been checking around to see if my device has a problem, but nothing yet. Ordered a BT wireless speaker that I will keep nearby to boost the output. But I would rather they tweak the volume level a bit with an update.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Great video. But seriously, audio is my only Surface disappointment so far. Volume is just too low. Didn't expect deep, rich sound. But also didn't expect to be running at 100 and straining to hear a video with some background noise in a room. Been checking around to see if my device has a problem, but nothing yet. Ordered a BT wireless speaker that I will keep nearby to boost the output. But I would rather they tweak the volume level a bit with an update.

There was a thread posted yesterday about volume. If you go to Control Panel and the audio properties, you'll see a few more settings, including bass enhancer and stuff like that. It makes a world of difference. I'll look for the thread...

*Edit: Here's the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/surface-windows-rt/199989.htm

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There was a thread posted yesterday about volume. If you go to Control Panel and the audio properties, you'll see a few more settings, including bass enhancer and stuff like that. It makes a world of difference. I'll look for the thread...

*Edit: Here's the thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/surface-windows-rt/199989.htm
yeh its not a substantial difference with the tweak however :/

the surface does not have bad audio, it has great audio! just the speakers suck.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for that. Was reluctant to turn on Loudness as it usually lowers volume, but guess I may need to tinker a bit.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Omg put your Surface in your sink when its playing music! The way the sink directs the sound makes the music sound sooooo good!!! (Ps: don't actually turn the sink on)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
sorry, but I had to revive this because I can honestly say the best experience ive ever had with audio is right now listening through the surface!

Although the speakers on the Surface are quite soft, the audio it outputs is fantastic! Ive never enjoyed listening to music as much as I am right now. It outputs such a strong, full and clean sound, better than any phone, tablet, or computer I have ever used!

Anybody else have as nice an experience as I am??

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the speakers are fine, just that they are directed away from the user due to the design of the sides. I was sitting next to my SO and got a complaint that my music was too loud, and I had it on 58. I think sound is being directed away from the Surface. Nothing can really be done about that since it is a design choice.

I use my Jabra Halos though and the sound with those is always great!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think the speakers are fine, just that they are directed away from the user due to the design of the sides. I was sitting next to my SO and got a complaint that my music was too loud, and I had it on 58. I think sound is being directed away from the Surface. Nothing can really be done about that since it is a design choice.

I use my Jabra Halos though and the sound with those is always great!
yeh exactly, they are actually directed the compete opposite direction of the user because of the way the sides are angled backwards.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so basically, devise "ears" that clip or magnetically attach to the sides and direct the sound forward. I noticed a difference just by cupping my hand behind the speaker.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
so basically, devise "ears" that clip or magnetically attach to the sides and direct the sound forward. I noticed a difference just by cupping my hand behind the speaker.

I'm a hand cupper as well. Seems I have to do that on all my devices, except when I had the Galaxy Note 10.1. The speakers were right there on the front of the bezel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12