Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
       #1  
    There was this finnish article on the local tabloids (which is funny, Surface isn't even available here officially) about how there is a widespread problem with TouchCover's getting ripped from the seam (not totally sure which seam, but I guess they mean where the fabric meets the magnetic connector-thing). And "a lot of users complain about this same issue, so it's not just a single case".

    I havn't ran into a single complaint about defect of this kind here, while plenty of others. Have an WPCentral folks had theirs rip?

    Mine is still pristine, but I was just wondering cos I was really surprised that this was apparently a wide spread problem, while it hasnt been complained about on WPCentral, while just about every other possible defect has it's own thread here :D
  2. DougB541#CB's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    #2  
    I did but I just went to the MS store and they replaced it no problem.
  3. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
       #3  
    Yeah, at least the article mentioned that MS store replaces it. The comments had a few "Typical MS quality!!11" kinda stuff, to which I commented that it happens to any and all manufacturers, the difference between MS and Apple in this case is that Apple claims it's either normal or the users fault, while MS just replaces the faulty product with no excuses :D

    I rarely take my touch cover off though, it's enough for me that it flips behind the device so it's out of the way. But it's good to know that there is a chance for this to happen to be a bit careful when taking if off or simply just not take it off unless necessary. So far the only time I took it off was when my fiancee wanted to play Wordament and I knew she wouldnt use the keyboard anyways, so I took it out of her way.
  4. dmandWP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #4  
    My touch cover has this problem. If you have your touch cover on and are using your Surface like a laptop, then it is where the cover meets the surface directly under the capacitive windows button. It is most noticeable when you flip the cover to the back. I will try and post some picks later, and I will report on how my call with Microsoft goes.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Yeah, at least the article mentioned that MS store replaces it. The comments had a few "Typical MS quality!!11" kinda stuff, to which I commented that it happens to any and all manufacturers, the difference between MS and Apple in this case is that Apple claims it's either normal or the users fault, while MS just replaces the faulty product with no excuses :D

    I rarely take my touch cover off though, it's enough for me that it flips behind the device so it's out of the way. But it's good to know that there is a chance for this to happen to be a bit careful when taking if off or simply just not take it off unless necessary. So far the only time I took it off was when my fiancee wanted to play Wordament and I knew she wouldnt use the keyboard anyways, so I took it out of her way.
    yeh same. mines always attached and sometimes im afraid moving it back and forth is going to wear it down, but the thing still feels and acts just like it did when I unboxed it!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  6. BotanicalStig's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandWP View Post
    My touch cover has this problem. If you have your touch cover on and are using your Surface like a laptop, then it is where the cover meets the surface directly under the capacitive windows button. It is most noticeable when you flip the cover to the back. I will try and post some picks later, and I will report on how my call with Microsoft goes.
    Mine has the same problem, right at that weird dimple, it's coming apart. Never once left the house, taken care of like a baby. My Microsoft store is 2 and a half hours away, so I won't be exchanging it. Just have to deal with it.
    Thanked by:
  7. dmandWP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #7  
    I have included 2 pictures. One is a shot from the front with the Surface setup like a laptop. The other is a close up when the cover is flipped to the back.

    I called the store I bought it from and they sent me to Surface support at 1-855-883-8672 (mods - I hope it is ok to post a toll free support number).

    The person I talked to mentioned that they are seeing a few of these cases. He said he would set up a product exchange, where they send me a new touch cover and I then send the old one back. As we has trying to do this he said the system was misbehaving and that he could not get the Product Exchange option to appear on his screen, and he would have to escalate the problem. Someone from Microsoft will contact me in the next 48 hours. He apologized and assured me that my problem would be taken care of, even after I made sure he knew that I bought the Surface in the Palo Alto California store but live in Canada.

    I was initially told that if I could take it back to the store it would be exchanged immediately. Since the store is 1000 miles away I said that would not be possible until my next business trip in January. That is when he said that is not problem, we can do this through the mail.

    I am very confident that my problem will be taken care of. I can accept a manufacturing defect in a new product if the company responds promptly, admits there is a problem, and offers a replacement. In this case I got all that plus at least 5 ' I'm sorry this is happening, I hope it is not hurting your Surface experience'. I still need to see how this ends, but so far the experience has not changed my opinion of my Surface.

    One last note, the young man that helped me got a good chuckle when I thanked him and said I was glad he did not tell me I was holding it wrong :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front-view.jpg   closeup-coverflippedtoback.jpg  
  8. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #8  
    Interesting. I have manhandled my cyan touch cover since getting my Surface at launch and it still looks pristine. Probably pulled it off and on nearly 100 times already (no, I have not swung it around by its cover) and flipped it forward back and wherever continually. I also have a type cover and it uses a similar manufacturing process; either RF or Ultrasonic sealing of the seams. Hard to tell from the images but wondering if the splits are occurring near a seal area, meaning they used a little too much heat/pressure/dwell during manufacture.



    Also, anyone with a problem, can you share your touch cover color? Might help with troubleshooting the problem.

    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  9. docbot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandWP View Post
    I have included 2 pictures. One is a shot from the front with the Surface setup like a laptop. The other is a close up when the cover is flipped to the back.

    I called the store I bought it from and they sent me to Surface support at 1-855-883-8672 (mods - I hope it is ok to post a toll free support number).

    The person I talked to mentioned that they are seeing a few of these cases. He said he would set up a product exchange, where they send me a new touch cover and I then send the old one back. As we has trying to do this he said the system was misbehaving and that he could not get the Product Exchange option to appear on his screen, and he would have to escalate the problem. Someone from Microsoft will contact me in the next 48 hours. He apologized and assured me that my problem would be taken care of, even after I made sure he knew that I bought the Surface in the Palo Alto California store but live in Canada.

    I was initially told that if I could take it back to the store it would be exchanged immediately. Since the store is 1000 miles away I said that would not be possible until my next business trip in January. That is when he said that is not problem, we can do this through the mail.

    I am very confident that my problem will be taken care of. I can accept a manufacturing defect in a new product if the company responds promptly, admits there is a problem, and offers a replacement. In this case I got all that plus at least 5 ' I'm sorry this is happening, I hope it is not hurting your Surface experience'. I still need to see how this ends, but so far the experience has not changed my opinion of my Surface.

    One last note, the young man that helped me got a good chuckle when I thanked him and said I was glad he did not tell me I was holding it wrong :lol:
    Yes, my cover has done exactly the same. No store here in the uk so returning it would be a hassle. A careful use of flexible super glue has done the trick nicely ��
  10. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    #10  
    I haven't had it happen to me yet but I can see the weakness right where the connector is. I've been taking off the touch cover lately when using it in tablet mode and I assume that's why it hasn't ripped yet.
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  11. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,560 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,564 Global Posts
    #11  
    when you take it back do they give you color choice? Could be a clandestine way to get a bundle black exchanged for a red or cyan.
  12. BotanicalStig's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #12  
    My black touch cover has the same problem in the above pictures. My cyan touch cover, is fine. I may call in a replacement. I don't want to drive 2.5 hours into charlotte again.
  13. #13  
    I've had my cover run over by a few cars at 60mph and it has a tiny tear at the corner but works perfectly fine
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
  14. shaunydub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    #14  
    My black touch cover is starting to go on in the middle where it connects.
    Anyone from the UK have the issue & know how we can get a replacement seeing as there are no MS stores over here?
  15. derek533's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #15  
    If it is just an issue with the black touch cover, I wonder if it has something to do with the extra layer of felt like material and how it's all bonded together?
  16. chuks22's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #16  
    i'll be watching this thread
  17. #17  
    I have a cyan touch cover and just below the connection point the cover material is starting to come away. The keyboard still functions fine, looks to be superficial but it's a little disappointing considering the cost. I am in Oz so I need to send it back if it gets any worse, no MS stores here. I am however tempted to use some silicon to glue it back in place as the silicon will give it flexibility.
  18. DougB541#CB's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetObsessed View Post
    I have a cyan touch cover and just below the connection point the cover material is starting to come away. The keyboard still functions fine, looks to be superficial but it's a little disappointing considering the cost. I am in Oz so I need to send it back if it gets any worse, no MS stores here. I am however tempted to use some silicon to glue it back in place as the silicon will give it flexibility.
    I'm sure that would work. I think its less, design defect, and more bad run of covers. My replacement has been fine.
  19. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    #19  
    I have the cyan as well but no problem so far... because of the problems though I am being a little cautious and not bending it back. honestly for the price of the touch cover I have found it to be a little bit cheap feeling. The mouse area is already showing the color is wearing and I have had it only a week

    don't take it wrong having a keyboard with a mouse and cover all wrapped into one is just awesome. but for the money I hope the next version is a little bit more high quality
  20. RedLine78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #20  
    I have original black touch cover included with my Surface RT and no issue here so far after two weeks of usage.
  21. #21  
    We have one cyan touch cover and black type cover and no issues to report...
  22. DubiousPig's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #22  
    My original black touch cover had the issue right in the middle of the seam and although it didn't affect functionality it was a real eyesore, especially for a completely new device that I want to show off! Anyway I received my replacement two days ago and so far it seems to be holding up well but I am consciously being very cautious about how I hold it when the cover is folded all the way back. I'm confident that MS will replace it if this one also has an issue but I really don't want to go through the whole process again seeing as I'm in the UK and it took over a week to sort out.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog @ www.ataleoftwocats.co.uk
  23. shaunydub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousPig View Post
    My original black touch cover had the issue right in the middle of the seam and although it didn't affect functionality it was a real eyesore, especially for a completely new device that I want to show off! Anyway I received my replacement two days ago and so far it seems to be holding up well but I am consciously being very cautious about how I hold it when the cover is folded all the way back. I'm confident that MS will replace it if this one also has an issue but I really don't want to go through the whole process again seeing as I'm in the UK and it took over a week to sort out.
    Hi,
    I am in UK also...what did you do to get a replacement?
    Did you have to send your old one back?

    I need a new one but am concerned about the process / shipping of return etc.

    Thanks

Posting Permissions