Surface and Movies/DVD's

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

So we have had a Surface since day one and love it. My partner has finally been persuaded to give up his iPad. Yay!

Now he is going away tomorrow for a week and has decided to that he wants to rip a DVD (that we own, I hasten to add) to load onto his his Surface to watch on the plane ride. Problem is that neither of us have any idea how to go about doing this at all. A quick Bing search reveals a myriad of dubious pieces of software that all offer to do this for us, most with dodgy english translations. I'm reluctant to try any of those....

Any suggestions as to how to go about this? It's very well touting the device as a great way to watch movies, but how the blazes to get one on there for a plane ride....

Cheers,

DavidM

ndschris

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend some software called Handbrake, it's free to download. Just make sure you select MP4 as the video container format rather than MKV, that way you'll be able to play it on Surface in the Videos app.

jonldevries

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i have ripped several using handbrake and vlc on the mac for my surface and it works fine, make sure you know how to tweak the sounds (or maybe boost them when you encode if you can)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3