Help with Remote Desktop!

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Quick question for the forum. I'm trying to use my remote desktop app in my Surface RT to access my windows 8 Pro home pc when away from home but having issues. When searching for my Home PC away from home my surface is unable to find it. The app works fine though when at home however. Any tips to fixing this?

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
This isn't an issue with the Surface at all. It's your router's firewall. Go into your router settings, forwarding, put in your computers IP (you need to set your computer to a static IP...best done through router settings and the mac address), and forward port 3389 to that IP.

Should work after that.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
In addition to what was said above, you'll need to know your external IP as well. This is what you will use to connect when away from your home network. You'll be able to grab the IP when making the routing changes.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The other advice will get things working but keep in mind though that firewalls exist for a reason. Opening holes does bring along some security risks.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Go to logmein.com

You install it on your PC and you can access your PC anywhere from a web browser. It's free to boot!!

Have you tried LOGMEIN on your surface browser....it is painfully slow, and the screen flickers whenever you move the mouse to click something. I am having similar issues - if someone can help set up static ip on Linksys router, so that i can remote into my computer with my surface it would be greatly appreciated.

I found a post on XDA that people got remote apps working (note - i am asking for help there too) [GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps - xda-developers ..........this is really what i want to do. If i can get it working, and it is usable, id like to keep the smaller, and lighter surface RT. If not, i guess ill have to return and get the larger, heavier, bulkier, and less battery life surface pro with x86 intel processor. I really want to get it to work, because ideally i would like to no longer buy laptops, i want a desktop, and a surface tablet to remote control my desktop when away. I can get another year out of my laptop, but would like to get it working before my 14 day window of return at MS store.
Thanks,

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This isn't an issue with the Surface at all. It's your router's firewall. Go into your router settings, forwarding, put in your computers IP (you need to set your computer to a static IP...best done through router settings and the mac address), and forward port 3389 to that IP.

Should work after that.

This is the answer for this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99