Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Winfonejunkie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
       #1  
    Quick question for the forum. I'm trying to use my remote desktop app in my Surface RT to access my windows 8 Pro home pc when away from home but having issues. When searching for my Home PC away from home my surface is unable to find it. The app works fine though when at home however. Any tips to fixing this?
  2. kane4fire's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    #2  
    This isn't an issue with the Surface at all. It's your router's firewall. Go into your router settings, forwarding, put in your computers IP (you need to set your computer to a static IP...best done through router settings and the mac address), and forward port 3389 to that IP.

    Should work after that.
  3. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    507 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    #3  
    In addition to what was said above, you'll need to know your external IP as well. This is what you will use to connect when away from your home network. You'll be able to grab the IP when making the routing changes.
  4. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    #4  
    The other advice will get things working but keep in mind though that firewalls exist for a reason. Opening holes does bring along some security risks.
  5. Highdefjunkie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #5  
    Just you logmein (via IE 10) if you are away from your home. Much easier.
  6. Winfonejunkie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by highdefjunkies View Post
    Just you logmein (via IE 10) if you are away from your home. Much easier.
    Could you explain this further?


    Thanks to everyone else for their responses as well!
  7. Highdefjunkie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #7  
    Go to logmein.com

    You install it on your PC and you can access your PC anywhere from a web browser. It's free to boot!!
  8. nasellok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by highdefjunkies View Post
    Go to logmein.com

    You install it on your PC and you can access your PC anywhere from a web browser. It's free to boot!!
    Have you tried LOGMEIN on your surface browser....it is painfully slow, and the screen flickers whenever you move the mouse to click something. I am having similar issues - if someone can help set up static ip on Linksys router, so that i can remote into my computer with my surface it would be greatly appreciated.

    I found a post on XDA that people got remote apps working (note - i am asking for help there too) [GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps - xda-developers ..........this is really what i want to do. If i can get it working, and it is usable, id like to keep the smaller, and lighter surface RT. If not, i guess ill have to return and get the larger, heavier, bulkier, and less battery life surface pro with x86 intel processor. I really want to get it to work, because ideally i would like to no longer buy laptops, i want a desktop, and a surface tablet to remote control my desktop when away. I can get another year out of my laptop, but would like to get it working before my 14 day window of return at MS store.
    Thanks,
  9. illidanx's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    549 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kane4fire View Post
    This isn't an issue with the Surface at all. It's your router's firewall. Go into your router settings, forwarding, put in your computers IP (you need to set your computer to a static IP...best done through router settings and the mac address), and forward port 3389 to that IP.

    Should work after that.
    This is the answer for this thread
  10. nasellok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by illidanx View Post
    This is the answer for this thread
    Any way someone can walk me through setting static ip, and port forwarding with linksys router for this to work. Do I need DynDNS?
  11. illidanx's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    549 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nasellok View Post
    Any way someone can walk me through setting static ip, and port forwarding with linksys router for this to work. Do I need DynDNS?
    See the other post for my answer.

Posting Permissions