Twitter clients

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I've been trying every Twitter client app in the Windows 8 store on the Surface RT, and they all suffer from the same issue. It seems like they all start to choke with a large number of tweets in the stream. The scrolling begins to stutter, and if you keep going you end up on the Desktop, starting all over. There is definitely a performance issue of some sort, that I don't see in other types of apps. Have others experienced this?

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I use tweetro and have experienced none of these issues. sometimes when the app is just starting I need to wait a few seconds before I can scroll but that's about it.

Griffinx

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The twitter situation for RT Is diabolical. None of the clients I've tried from the store are able to preserve their place on the timeline so I can read my timeline in chronological order. I hope Plume is released for RT

checkit20

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using MetroTwit and it's easily the worst Twitter experience I've ever had on a device, PC, phone, whatever. Having said that, it has improved slightly since today's patch but still not a great experience.

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
Yesterday's updates do seem to have helped scrolling performance across the board. Cowlick seems smoothest right now, but still has the annoying behavior where a quote does not insert the name of the person you are quoting after the RT. This behavior is standard in every other Twitter client I've tried. I'm still waiting for any one of them to hold your place in the stream after an update.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Tweetro has been pulled from the marketplace due to the token limit, yes? I attempted to use it after it stopped working, so I wouldn't know. Does it have good list support? Does it save your place in the timeline after closing the app for a few hours and then reopening it? When you refresh, again does it save your place? How's the scrolling, smooth?

If tweetro work for you, great. Unfortunately, it's not an available app. The ones I keep using are Rowi and Metrotwit. Both are an incredible compromise right now. In fact, I find myself using my phone to check twitter now, even if I'm using my Surface.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I want to like metrotwit, but there are some things that drive me crazy. First, no auto-complete when using @, and I like having the timeline snapped to the left, and every hour or so it just freezes and does not update. As the post above states, I just have been using my phone as well. If twitter wants everyone to use their app, they should just make one for every platform and drop the limits on those platforms it does not support.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe nobody wants to develop a good twitter app. Maybe I'm in the minority, but what I want most from a twitter app is to be able to read tweets from my main timeline and lists, from oldest to newest tweet. It's amazing that none of the w8 twitter apps can do this.

About once a week I give them another shot. This morning I woke up and attempted to catch up with my Timeline with all of my RT clients: Rowi, Cowlick, and Metrotwit. Just like every morning, I was scrolling back over hours and hours of tweets. Metrotwit crashed as always. Eventually I ask why and grab my phone.

My big fear is, two of the apps (Rowi and Cowlick) are made by wp7 devs whose apps provide these features. Does that mean w8 RT apps are more difficult to code? Or are the devs just trying to accomplish something different with their design? Frustrating.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Nobody wants to develop a good new twitter application anymore due to the whole neutering twitter has done to new applications. Tweetro was a good twitter app that ended up being popular and look what happened to it as it quickly hit the token limit. Same thing is happening on ios and android where the only twitter apps in use are the already out ones (tweetbot,plume, offical ones)

Tweetbot ran into this with their new mac application since they couldn't beta it without it using up tokens. This led them too have to price the application at $20. This mess is probably why Carbon for android hasn't comeout even though it was supposed to hit soon after the death of the windows phone client was announced. But the guy was probably going to have a problem getting into a crowded market anyway (offical twitter,plume,tweddle,boid, tweetster, ubersocial, slices) and the only real adoption Carbon was going to have on android were from former webos guys and guys who really like design.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah twitter really f-ed over all the 3rd party clients. I know twitter is making an official app but its absurd they would do this. I luckily got Tweetro before it was pulled, but there is Tweetro+ coming out soon that you will have to pay for.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I will gladly pay for good software. That said, what twitter is doing is insane, they should allow these third party apps IF they put in the promoted tweets that twitter gets paid off of. I understand it is a business, but just busting over the people that created your ecosystem is asinine.

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Do any of the clients stream new tweets as the arrive? I used tweetbot on my iPad at work during the day but now I have a Lumia 920 in the charging stand and I'd like it to be streaming twitter during the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)