Microsoft word and games sluggish

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Mobiletechreview and some other reviewers showcased the surface. And when they opened Microsoft word, not only does it starts up slow, it behaves quite sluggish. Pressing on each icons have a delay of about 1second. Sometimes, the icons doesn't even respond. I know this is bearable, but hey, it's Microsoft! They are reputable of using efficient algorithms in their softwares and OSes.
Besides the problem with word, games such as cut the rope, which require very little GPU juice, even began to lag in their frames.
I mean, if games like cut the rope is already so laggy to play on a surface, I doubt it can handle the rest of the games.

P.S. I heard that there is a patch recently, does it solve the problem?

I'm intending to get a surface and throw my iPad away. But the reviews that I've been seeing is scaring me away. What should I do:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
All those laggy videos/reviews of Office are from the Preview version that shipped with the Surface at launch. Microsoft released the final version of Office the same day (or was it the day after?) the Surface was launched and it fixed all of those lag issues.

Microsoft also pushed out two performance updates since the launch of the Surface, the most recent one being two days ago. All reports indicate that the Surface is even faster and more responsive than ever before.

I've had my Surface since launch and I have personally never experienced any of these lag issues. It is a huge improvement over the iPad in terms of functionality, speed, and productivity. Granted, the app market is a little sparse in comparison, but it is growing very rapidly (currently sitting at 10,000 apps, not bad for an OS that's only been out for a couple of weeks). I imagine the big developers will be pushing out their apps sooner rather than later, and the app gap will be filled in short order.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the latest patches GREATLY improved performance. In fact, I dunno how, but it improved performance on my old Dell touchscreen I upgraded to 8 as well, so it must have been something OS level.

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I want to get a surface so badly, but most of the time I'm using it for notes taking. Are there any apps for note taking on a PDF lecture notes?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Surface comes with Microsoft OneNote. Its just about perfect for note taking in class or meetings. It has much to love.

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem of not being able to find the Surface update for Office as well for long time. Go to all your apps and open up Control Panel in the desktop. Find Windows Update (I found it by switching from category view to Large Icons view) and do your update through there. I believe Office shows up as an optional update. It's kind of terrible that Microsoft makes that update available solely through the desktop (just commenting on my experience with it). They need to centralize their update process, in my opinion, to make all updates, both apps and general OS alike, available through one area.

On topic with the post though, the way that I continually test the performance of the Surface after an update or something is through Adera (game on the Store). Microsoft still hasn't optimized RT enough for the Surface to be such that Adera could at least run acceptably smooth on the Surface. It makes the Surface feel old before the new tablet smell has even worn off, so to speak. And I know it's not all RT. Adera should be updated to run better as well, but in my mind, that'll still fall on Microsoft because it's an "Xbox" title. The game has great reviews and I would love to play it, but it runs so slowly and the framerate chugs so much that it's an undoubtedly chore of an experience.

Granted, people can say "Oh well, that's just one app and that the rest are better..." and such and such, but when the Surface is able to run the heaviest of apps smoothly, then these complains with all fade away and the experience trickles down to make everything else just that much more smooth.

GadgetObsessed

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I want to get a surface so badly, but most of the time I'm using it for notes taking. Are there any apps for note taking on a PDF lecture notes?

Yes you can mark up the PDF in the inbuilt reader app and you can then print to OneNote from the PDF, to insert it into OneNote. This inserts the PDF as an image. I use OneNote extensively and it is an awesome app. Really very powerful. Both the reader app and OneNote (two versions UX and Desktop) come included at no extra charge. If you haven't use OneNote I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
If you have a device with a Wacom digitizer, then the built-in Reader app supports very basic annotation. However, since the Surface only has a touch digitizer, any capacitive pen is only seen as another touch input, and you can't use that to write with. There's also a PDF Touch app in the Store that lets you write on PDFs, but I haven't really used that myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss