Slingbox on Surface RT

mrbjfunk

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
For anyone interested, Slingbox seems to be working on the Surface by going to this link within the Slingbox website:

Slingbox Player

The only problem is, it only works in the desktop version of IE 10. Anyone have any idea why it's not working in the Metro version??

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
For anyone interested, Slingbox seems to be working on the Surface by going to this link within the Slingbox website:

Slingbox Player

The only problem is, it only works in the desktop version of IE 10. Anyone have any idea why it's not working in the Metro version??

Thanks for that!
Probably the only think I thought I couldn't do with my Surface.
Where did you get that link????

When I went to the main site it wanted me to install an app which of course wouldn't install - and that was in the desktop browser.

mrbjfunk

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I found it on another forum. Was so happy when I got slingbox working. Like you said, it was the one thing that was left to be desired with my Surface.

mrbjfunk

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
This does assume you have one of the later models of Slingbox as I just get an unsupported message, oh well time for an upgrade anyway :)

Actually, I have an old Slingbox Solo I bought in 2008. It should work on what you have. I would try upgrading your Slingbox's firmware and see if that does the trick. You should be able to do that with either the desktop software or the normal web player on a regular Windows machine.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have tried the embedded player in the desktop browser and it works fine over my home network...ie when in the house. I tried over internet sharing on my Nokia 920 to get off the home network and it didn't work. Anyone else have this problem or able to access it outside of their home network??

mrbjfunk

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I have it working when tethered to my Lumia 920. The embedded player doesn't work outside your home network unless port forwarding is set up on your router for the slingbox. I believe the port for the slingbox is set to 5001 by default.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have it working when tethered to my Lumia 920. The embedded player doesn't work outside your home network unless port forwarding is set up on your router for the slingbox. I believe the port for the slingbox is set to 5001 by default.

I was thinking after I posted that that I do know the port forwarding is working.
It was working fine on my Transformer Prime and is still working on the WP8 app on the 920.
I will need to try a few other non home networks but I am quite puzzled.

mrbjfunk

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same thing. My port forwarding wasn't setup, but everything worked fine with all my other devices, even slingbox.com. The embedded player, however, needs to have the port forward manually configured on the router to work.

mrbjfunk

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, make sure you hit the disconnect icon when you want to disconnect. If you just close out the window, the slingbox thinks it's still connected to something. After that, you can't reconnect unless you unplug the box. Screwed me over when I was away for a weekend.

johnny77777

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, can you be specific as to how you set up the port forwarding here? I had this working perfect after setting up port forwarding on the network of where the slingbox is set up while I was on the same network as the slingbox last week, however now that my Surface is not on the same network as the actual slingbox, I'm getting the "We're sorry, but your current web browser, operating system, or the combination of both is not currently supported by the SlingPlayer plug-in. Please click here for more information." message.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give.

technodude

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Prior to early February the embedded Slingplayer approach was working fine on my Surface RT. Since then Adobe has coordinated several cumulative Flash patches with Microsoft that address potential security risks and these patches have the effect of rendering the embedded Slingplayer inoperative. I have implemented all the whitelist and registry modifications but nothing solves the issue except uninstalling these patches as they arrive. The latest patch reference number is KB2824670 released yesterday. Same result. Also requires inhibiting auto updating via a registry setting so I don't have to uninstall the latest patch daily. I'm sure the Flash security patches are important and would rather have the latest fixes but also want to use my Surface with the Slingbox. So, after explaining this experience I'm curious to know if others are experiencing the same problem and, more importantly, has anyone found a solution.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

clarity1981

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm still having no problems connecting to the Slingbox Embedded Player though the desktop browser, even after yesterday's latest patches. Still doesn't work in Metro IE10 and I doubt it ever will. When you try to start the player in IE10, what happens exactly?

technodude

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
clarity1981, thanks for the feedback.

Noting your ability to use embedded slingplayer with all the latest Flash patches I took it upon myself to completely restore my surface to factory software load and proceed to reinstall all patches from scratch. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem and I still need to uninstall latest Flash patch for the player to function. What happens when the patch is installed is rather odd. The player behaves normally establishing a connection (upside down horseshoe screen) and will display Slingbox Directory with my device. If I perform the network test I obtain excellent bandwidth performance and the player recommends using Best Quality so everything seems fine. However, once I click my slingbox the horseshoe screen reappears as it should but takes an excessive amount of time 'Optimizing' then eventually comes back with the No Video Detected screen. I know the slingbox is operating correctly via my laptop and, after I uninstall the patch, my surface will work as well. Also makes no difference whether I connect locally on my wireless LAN or remotely or reduce quality setting. Perhaps something in the router but 5001 port is correctly forwarded and all works well either locally or remotely as long as the patch is not installed on the Surface. Soooo, still looking for ideas.

Mikenew234

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I refreshed my Surface RT and it worked and then when I shut down it started a Windows Update. After that, it would not work again. I don't understand how to remove the Adobe Patches. Can you explain??
Thanks, Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)