Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I am starting a series of videos that will look at every aspect of the Surface RT tablet. I do reviews on different aspects of the device, basic tutorials to learn how to use the device and app reviews on the best, most useful and free apps.

I have previously done very successful videos on the Asus Transformer Prime (150 videos) and the Nexus 7 (100 videos) but I see this as being my biggest project to date since Windows 8 is such a radical departure from previous version that I'll be posting many videos as I learn new and interesting things. Here is a video just to give you a flavour of my work.

I am literally scratching the surface (every pun intended) of this device and will be kicking out a couple of videos everyday for a good few weeks. I'll be updating this thread regularly. I hope you find them useful, entertaining and informative.

Thanks in advance,

vgjfelix

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    And here is an example of the sort of tutorials I will be doing

I won't post any more video yet as I don't want to be accused of spamming. Go to my channel for other videos but by all means comment here.
    Thanked by:
    bhvyang likes this.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    nice videos! really enjoyed them!

Global Posts
    2,511 Global Posts
    I remember all your Nexus 7 videos on AndroidCentral. A lot of users found them helpful when the N7 was first released. For many, it was their first tablet. Anyway, nice job.

Awesome videos, hope more are coming!

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    And that's the topic of this video.

First of all I know this review is completely out of number sequence, I just wanted to put this one up as soon as I did because this topic is important to me.

Font sizes. Once again another tablet fails to deliver when it comes to giving us the freedom to set font sizes how we would like. That's what we do a lot of the time with tablets, and you can always resize fonts in books readers. So why doesn't this extend to apps and the tablet (and I'm talking about tablets in general here) eco system as a whole. Well one app in this video proves it is possible with a brilliant feature.

Thanked by:
    11B1P 
    GSOgymrat likes this.

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Okay, I decided to watch two of your videos here and I only have this to say: Bravo.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vgjfelix View Post
    And that's the topic of this video.

First of all I know this review is completely out of number sequence, I just wanted to put this one up as soon as I did because this topic is important to me.

Font sizes. Once again another tablet fails to deliver when it comes to giving us the freedom to set font sizes how we would like. That's what we do a lot of the time with tablets, and you can always resize fonts in books readers. So why doesn't this extend to apps and the tablet (and I'm talking about tablets in general here) eco system as a whole. Well one app in this video proves it is possible with a brilliant feature.

Hey not sure if this is like this on the BBC app but on the microsoft news app, if you swipe up to bring up the apps hidden menu you can resize the text from there.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541#WP View Post
    Hey not sure if this is like this on the BBC app but on the microsoft news app, if you swipe up to bring up the apps hidden menu you can resize the text from there.
    Ha! I no idea. You could do that in that app. It's a bit strange to have both an app settings options from right swipe and app content options from top and bottom swipes. Anyway the text on large is still to small for my liking in that News app and the Wikipedia and BBC app definitely don't have any options.

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Here begins my App-Snack videos. First one is a simple live clock and date tile:

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts
    As far as the text font size, maybe the theory behind the smaller font was to keep users from having to continously scroll the page. The larger the font, the less lines of text = more scrolling as you read.

Good videos!

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    As far as the text font size, maybe the theory behind the smaller font was to keep users from having to continously scroll the page. The larger the font, the less lines of text = more scrolling as you read.

Good videos!
    It possible I case. But my main point still stands: why am I not allowed to decide that for myself?

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    A quick look on my experiences (so far) of how the tablet lock and unlocks

Thanked by:

You can also pinch to zoom in the Microsoft news app. You can make it HUGE that way. Since the text is also split into several columns, you can make it REALLY big before you need to start scrolling from side to side to read it.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    This video is a quick test about using the tablet in a confined space:

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Today is a quick look at an odd problem with the youtube reply button on the browser.

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    I had a Gmail problem a couple of videos back. Now it's solved!

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts
    Re: Confined Space video

I would think if you are in a limited space you probably are not going to try and use the keyboard. I think using the keyboard is more of a productivity accessory, making it more into the laptop. Maybe finishing up some work. Using the Surface without the keyboard and you're in tablet mode. Wouldn't even try and use the kickstand in the car. Just like you said, prop it up against the steering wheel. I spend a lot of time in my work vehicle. I prop my Kindle Fire up on the steering alot.

I think tablet mode is more for the portability and convenience; lounging in bed, on the couch; killing time in the car browsing WPCentral while the gf is in the restroom, etc. Got a few minutes to kill? Grab the Surface, flip back the cover and beginst killing!

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Just in case you didn't know. You don't have to get an official HDMI cable:

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    This is a video about some of my first impressions tile arrangement on the start screen:

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    This one is a quick look at the lack of uniformity when changing settings. Why is the same option accessed by different methods.

Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Another quick look, this time at frustrating experiences of the App store search function (am I really doing something wrong?):

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vgjfelix View Post
    Another quick look, this time at frustrating experiences of the App store search function (am I really doing something wrong?):

And I've just had another little play with this problem and solved it.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    As I start to get a grip on this operating system, more and more Basics tutorial videos will start to come out. In this one I look at the offscreen swipe gestures (on the startscreen).

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Another quick look, this time at my shrinking storage:

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast