How do you set up POP & IMAP email accounts?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if its just whether the feature is unavailable on the surface RT or if im doing something wrong but when i go to set up a POP mail account through the add accounts setting in the mail app an error message pops up saying mail doesnt support POP accounts. I want to link my work emails to my surface - i can do it on my WP8 anyone know a reason why it wont do it on W8 RT or if theres a mail app that will let me do it?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it's one of the imponderables of Windows 8, both the x86 and RT versions. The option to add a POP account seems to exist solely so that the system can tell you that it's not supported.

Microsoft has very intelligent reasoning to support this decision, but one that I neither fully understand or accept, given that it's perfectly possible in WP8.

There's a way of confabulating a sort of solution by linking to a gmail account, but the downside is all new outbound mail will come from the gmail account's email address.

All you can really do is stick with webmail and hope that either a Microsoft or third party solution arises.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - It does seem strange to have the option there only to deny you its use. We can only hope its an option for the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3