Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Itís been roughly a month since release day now and I was wondering how everyone is getting along using the Surface? Has the newness worn off and it sits in a corner not being used or is it now part of your daily life?

I have a few more weeks till I get to finally use mine and wonder how everyone else is liking it.

CoopII

PIN
    No
    Still love mine. Being used more than my Windows 8 laptop and my Nexus 7. Sometime this week, my ISP will update my mail server so that it'll work properly with IMAP and I'll be completely happy.

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    I've only had mine for half a month, to be precise (there was a holdup at Miami customs, so I only got it Nov 13th or so). I'm loving it. I use it daily at the hospital and managed to impress my attending and resident by showing them multiple PDFs for review articles + management protocols + looking for info not on an app, but on Nelson's Pediatrics book itself :D

All in all, I'm loving it and I know I'll get the most of it. Now, my 5-year old laptop is another story...

I've been using it a lot more. Over time, it's been finding new ways to fit into my lifestyle.

I am not a big tablet user in general, but I've been grabbing it when I want to go to the web quickly or play a game. I haven't used the keyboard that much because I haven't had to really do any work on it.

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Have only had mine just over a week so cant comment on a months use but what i can tell you is this. I cannot put it down and cannot imagine my daily life without it.
    I picked up the OS really quickly all the reviewers that complain about it being complicated are probably the same ones that said the lumia 920 was too heavy. My 3 year old daughter had the swipe gestures worked out in an hour and it took the battery running down for me to get it off of her. Its a solid device with a solid OS.

Am using it as a third monitor at work for media and social networks it sits nicely between my main monitors and keyboard so its within easy reach. My commute disappears in a midst of gaming and at home its on hand for cooking, using smartglass with the xbox and its usually in my hands checking social feeds in the ad breaks on TV its like its got its own gravitational field. Its not without its shortcomings and I am under no illusions that there are things to be improved. But I wouldnt swap it for anything.
    I love the Surface hardware without question but I am a tiny bit dissatisfied with Windows RT and its ARM optimization. I think MS has some more tweaking to do to make it run faster. When I compare my Surface to Samsungs Ativ with the Atom the Samsung just does everything faster. In some cases much faster. The Tegra 3 in the Surface should have the power to tear through this OS so I think it is just optimization. I would also like to see the mail app improved A LOT.

Overall though I am happy I bought it. In time I am sure MS will improve everything about the software.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Still lovin it. It is starting to show a few problems. The keyboard doesn't always work. Have to disconnect and reconnect. Also doesn't always wake when keyboard opened. IE10 is not so great. RT can't handle drop down menus on websites. I hope it will be fixed with update. It has completely replaced my laptop for personal use. WP8 phone sync/transfer app is limited, but gets the job done. The HDMI connection is hit and miss with certain TVs. Haven't had the time to trouble shoot yet. It is a new generation so I expect problems. But overall I haven't found any deal breakers. It will never replace my work laptop, but for play, it covers everything and even excels in some areas. I do wish the screen was a little better resolution. Hopefully next Gen will get a little better.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I got mine on launch day and there has not been a day that I haven't used it. It replaced an old iPad 1 that crashed constantly, so I mostly use Surface for crash-free web browsing. I read news, Skype with friends, and get some work done remotely with Office 2013 software (I just worked on my 2013 Excel budget file last night while in bed). I save everything to either a USB flash drive, or more recently started putting everything to SkyDrive then grabbing the files at work. I also stream Hulu and Netflix.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, .........you get the idea..........

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    It has usurped my laptop as most used device. I haven't run into any real problems yet, but drop downs are problematic. I'm not sure if it's a Surface ore an IE issue. Also some links need to be zoomed before I can click them.

Otherwise a solid piece of hardware. I'm pretty happy over all.
    My next phone...

Quote Originally Posted by adesonic View Post
    Love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, .........you get the idea..........
    This.

I hardly even use my desktop PC any more a month in! I can't imagine life without my surface now.
    Thanked by:

I can't wait to get mine.... Stupid Christmas gift I can't use yet.... Anyways I am curious if it works with my Express-Vu movie/tv website and lots of stuff I am sure as soon as I turn it on I will have a ton of update to complete.

CoopII

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    Love it...rave about it...have gotten 3 separate people interested in buying one.

Global Posts
    1,417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopII View Post
    I can't wait to get mine.... Stupid Christmas gift I can't use yet.... Anyways I am curious if it works with my Express-Vu movie/tv website and lots of stuff I am sure as soon as I turn it on I will have a ton of update to complete.

CoopII
    Dude, if it is wrapped up waiting for Christmas, keep in mind you're gonna be 2 months down with your warranty and you haven't even used it yet. If you develop any issues with it, don't you want as much of your warranty available as possible? You really need to get it out and start using it, for the sake of the warranty!

I really really love it. It's now my main computer at home, and I use it as a portable device at work sometimes. Two devoted Apple users have expressed positive opinions about it (but they haven't bought one yet). The biggest problem for me is that I'm supposed to give it to my mom by the end of January....

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I have only had it for one week. As someone who works in IT, most of what I do is e-mail and connecting to other machines/devices to do work on them. The Surface actually works very well for both. Today was the first day where I decided I would just carry my surface as my "machine". So far so good. I do wish that there was an Outlook for RT, but the combo of mail/cal/people does do the trick. I could always log into my server via OWA if need be.

I know there will be some quirks that bother me, but I am enjoying this machine A LOT! Using the touch keyboard, and a Bluetooth mouse seems to be a great combo.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    Dude, if it is wrapped up waiting for Christmas, keep in mind you're gonna be 2 months down with your warranty and you haven't even used it yet. If you develop any issues with it, don't you want as much of your warranty available as possible? You really need to get it out and start using it, for the sake of the warranty!
    In my estimation, most things that fail usually are subject to "infant mortality" - that is, they tend to fail within the first few days. If they don't during that time, they tend to last.
    My next phone...
    I came across this review on Zite. He waited the full month to put out his full review and it is well worth the read. Spoiler alert.......he loves it!!!

A month with my Surface RT Ľ Encosia
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Funny with my iFad I would use it a few times then forget about it but with the surface my right finger hurts from using it so much.

I was one of the lucky ones and got mine on 2nd Nov as promised! In fact, typing this on my surface....its been to Mexico and back without a hitch and although it is a little large to use as a Kindle, I downloaded the app used it by the pool and had a lot of queries about what it was. I am lost without it.....it is beautiful and best of all?.....it doesn't begin with "i"
    alaskanjackson likes this.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Still lovin it. It is starting to show a few problems. The keyboard doesn't always work. Have to disconnect and reconnect. Also doesn't always wake when keyboard opened. IE10 is not so great. RT can't handle drop down menus on websites. I hope it will be fixed with update. It has completely replaced my laptop for personal use. WP8 phone sync/transfer app is limited, but gets the job done. The HDMI connection is hit and miss with certain TVs. Haven't had the time to trouble shoot yet. It is a new generation so I expect problems. But overall I haven't found any deal breakers. It will never replace my work laptop, but for play, it covers everything and even excels in some areas. I do wish the screen was a little better resolution. Hopefully next Gen will get a little better.
    Got it launch day and love it but I have to agree with a few points stated above. The KB does have issues at times, I hope there are some more browser options soon (Google Chrome would be amazing), and drop down menus on websites simply dont work. It can not replace my desktop for work but for everything else its my go to device.

Other than the need for more apps/games which hopefully will come soon I am very happy I got rid of my iPad and moved to Surface.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    Tried that and wife said I can wait. Followed by why do you think I got you one anyways then complains about the $50 coupon she has at Microsoft store and there is nothing to buy in the Canadian store and coupon doesn't work in the US one.
    11B1P likes this.
    I've posted on the subject a few times...Our old laptop and Mac have not been used since we received ours (3 weeks). Our three kids love them so much that we ordered two more for the older kids for Christmas. We had three generations on Skype using my surface yesterday, the quality of the audio and visual was better than Ipad (according to my brother). My mother (75 yr old) didn't have any issues with using Skype. I have had a couple of apps that I had to reinstall, beyond that they have operated s advertised....submitted from the surface RT.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopII View Post
    Tried that and wife said I can wait. Followed by why do you think I got you one anyways then complains about the $50 coupon she has at Microsoft store and there is nothing to buy in the Canadian store and coupon doesn't work in the US one.
    lol have you taken a look at the yorkdale store?.. checked it out the other day, its really nice. still not a lot to buy but better than the pop up store.

I am really enjoying my Surface and am happy that I grabbed it on day 1. Won't be looking at another tablet... until the Surface 2 comes! :)

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    It's dead.

I just wanted to support MSFT, but no way does the Surface replace my iPad. I can't understand how the iPad graphics "not just gaming all of them" are just so more fluid.
    No other tablet seems to able to reproduce the silky smooth animation transitions. Truth the Surface is DOA and going no where fast. Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

MSFT should have just put WP8 on a tablet and called it a day.

Every time I go from my Surface to my iPad its like going from VHS to BluRay. :)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast