Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Well, this is annoying...

I just found that I can get the Samsung 500T from the US shipped to me with a keyboard dock for $50 more than the 64GB Surface RT...

$50 isn't much of a spread between the 2 devices..

Samsung vs Microsoft
    Intel Atom vs Tegra 3
    Win8 vs WinRT
    Plastic vs VaporMag
    Hard keyboard dock vs Touch cover
    Digitizer vs No-digitizer?

Everything else seems to be about on par..
    Last edited by v10type-r; 11-27-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Getting around the white list isn't a hack lol. You just add your own sites to the local whitelist file and tell ie to not update the file on it's own. I watch all my show streams and sports streams on my rt.

The build quality of the surface vs anything Samsung makes should be a guiness world record for quality gap. I don't buy 500 dollar plastic tablets. And windows 8 pro on a tablet is pretty meaningless when you are stuck with an atom processor. You can't run any decent games on it so you basically just get legacy apps that are mostly replaceable in the windows store.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v10type-r View Post
    Again, I don't want an iPad. I have a Lumia 920 and I want to have 1 ecosystem, Win7 (or Win8) on my PC, WP8 and either a Win8 tablet or WinRT tablet.

I like the Samsung 500T, but at $699 with no keyboard dock it is quite expensive. I think the dock (if I can get one) is around $175ish. Which makes the 500T closer to $900 when compared to the $700 Surface RT.. I have no legacy programs I want to install either, I have my PC for those tasks.
    The one ecosystem dream is a nice idea, but the reality of it does not work out so well (at least not yet). You really gain nothing by limiting yourself to one ecosystem (especially since the Windows and Windowes Phone ecosystems are not really one, but rather two separate systems in reality). Quite the opposite - you lose access to a mature tablet ecosystem (iOS) that is, and let's be frank about this, years ahead of Win RT.

You can have the best of both worlds - WP on your phone and iOS (or Android) on your Tablet. But it's up to you.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    IOS is trash filled with 600k of mostly trash. And windows rt is nothing like WP8 so there is no overlap there.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    IOS is trash filled with 600k of mostly trash. And windows rt is nothing like WP8 so there is no overlap there.
    Thanks for the mature answer, that really added to the discussion.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 likes this.

And trying to sell an iPad to someone that's said twice they didn't want one adds to the discussion how?
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    NickA and v10type-r like this.

Good thing I don't succomb to peer pressure lol.

I'm going Surface RT 64GB. It fits me needs perfectly. The 500T is nice, but to me its no better than a cheap netbook/laptop that will get bogged down in time and might be more susceptible to viruses etc.
    paulm187 likes this.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Not considering the all-christened measure of number of apps as to which tablet is better, I've been using a Surface since launch day and I also own an iPad.

Hands down, the Surface is far and away better than an iPad with so much more functionality. Example, the very first time I booted it, it found my network laser printer and automatically installed the drivers so I was able to print out of the box. Very few printers support "air print'. Also, don't discount how much functionality that USB port adds to the device. Usability wise, consider the fact that I can swipe away on the screen, decide to type an email, and just flip the cover over to expose the keyboard and use it like a mini-laptop. Then, fold it right back into itself and use it as a tablet again within 3 seconds never having to connect a keyboard to it.

The thing is built like a tank. The casing feels great in your hands, and it is every bit as premium feeling as the iPad is. The screen is gorgeous with vibrant colors and text is crisp and easy to read.

Now, if you wanna talk about apps we can, but just remember, that Windows RT has so much functionality baked into the OS that a lot of the popular apps on iOS aren't necessary on the Surface. Performance wise, the Surface is so smooth and fluid and IE10 is much faster rendering webpages than Safari or Atomic Browser could ever dream of.
    Thanked by:
    v10type-r likes this.

Thanks! I just ordered the SanDisk 64GB Class 10 microSDXC card off amazon.

Now I just need to decide if I want to spend $100 and get the 64GB over the 32GB... It's going to be shared between my wife and I, so we will have multiple users.. I'm feeling that since I can't install apps on the microSDXC, that the 14GB of free space on the 32GB version might be a little tight after time..

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts
    I like it though now and then, I miss my ability to fire up my classic game emulators (Amiga Forever, C64 Forever) and playing GOG.com games. But it has replaced my laptop for sure.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Well there is one "Myst" style game that the name currently escapes me, but it takes up 1gb in and of itself. Most games don't, that is the rare exception but it is definitely a good game and fun to play (and free!!).
    Developer

Thanks! I just ordered the SanDisk 64GB Class 10 microSDXC card off amazon.

Now I just need to decide if I want to spend $100 and get the 64GB over the 32GB... It's going to be shared between my wife and I, so we will have multiple users.. I'm feeling that since I can't install apps on the microSDXC, that the 14GB of free space on the 32GB version might be a little tight after time..
    The same app installed on 2 accounts does not cost twice the space. They simply create another profile for the 2nd user.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derek533 View Post
    Performance wise, the Surface is so smooth and fluid and IE10 is much faster rendering webpages than Safari or Atomic Browser could ever dream of.
    I am sorry, but that is simply not true:

Surface RT gets crushed in Peacekeeper browser benchmark
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post

Dude, go away. As I stated in response to another of your posts: you don't own a Surface. You are relying way too much on what blogs say. We actually own and use the device, that's why we say things like we do. We have first hand experience.

All your posts here trash the Surface. Well, most of your 17 or so posts do. And your ambiguous blanket statements make no sense and cause conflict. I've seen similar posts from you on iMore. btw, the whole Mobile Nation single sign in has caused a lot of troll posting.

Anyway, go out and buy the device, use it, and then come and comment. You have nothing to offer otherwise, ok??

IE10 does not support several of the tests in Peacekeeper, so on those portions, it is equivalent to having scored a zero. Not a fair comparison against a browser that supports all the tests.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Dude, go away. As I stated in response to another of your posts: you don't own a Surface. You are relying way too much on what blogs say. We actually own and use the device, that's why we say things like we do. We have first hand experience.

All your posts here trash the Surface. Well, most of your 17 or so posts do. And your ambiguous blanket statements make no sense and cause conflict. I've seen similar posts from you on iMore. btw, the whole Mobile Nation single sign in has caused a lot of troll posting.

Anyway, go out and buy the device, use it, and then come and comment. You have nothing to offer otherwise, ok??
    I provided real world test, you offered us nothing but snake oil. Respectable sites have proven over and over that the Surface lacks in the performance department, like:

AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll take Anand's opinion over yours, thank you very much.

And no, I don't own a Surface. I compared both the iPad and the Surface. And guess what, I picked the iPad. As far as I know, that is not a crime but everybody's right.

Quote Originally Posted by martinblank64 View Post
    IE10 does not support several of the tests in Peacekeeper, so on those portions, it is equivalent to having scored a zero. Not a fair comparison against a browser that supports all the tests.
    While that is true, it actually shows another weakness of the IE browser - you can't blame other browsers that they have a superior featureset than IE. :) But to be fair, we of course have to take into account that the iPad runs on superior hardware - so it has an advantage on that front.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 likes this.

I provided real world test, you offered us nothing but snake oil. Respectable sites have proven over and over that the Surface lacks in the performance department, like:

AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll take Anand's opinion over yours, thank you very much.

And no, I don't own a Surface. I compared both the iPad and the Surface. And guess what, I picked the iPad. As far as I know, that is not a crime but everybody's right.

While that is true, it actually shows another weakness of the IE browser - you can't blame other browsers that they have a superior featureset than IE. :) But to be fair, we of course have to take into account that the iPad runs on superior hardware - so it has an advantage on that front.
    Dude.. You still here? I owned both an ipad and a surface for a short period of time. The reason it was short was that after a week of using the surface i realised the the ipad is a childs toy and stuck it on ebay. The best thing about the ipad is the money i got for it paid for the surface. And snake oil? Hows that reality distortion field holding up under Tim Cook?

And linking review sites? Please... Ive yet to find an unbiased review anywhere on any product available. If everyone believed the reviews everyone would own iphone5's and be getting lost with iOS 6 because apparently its a perfect phone and a perfect OS. Form your own opinions fella, wake up and stop being a sheep.

Bottom line is the guy wants an opinion on the Surface rt not links to reviews. If you dont own a surface you can't really comment as your opinions are based on someone elses views
    Last edited by martinmc78; 11-28-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Oh please...
    I meant for Windows RT OS
    martinblank64 likes this.

Again, I don't want an iPad. I have a Lumia 920 and I want to have 1 ecosystem, Win7 (or Win8) on my PC, WP8 and either a Win8 tablet or WinRT tablet.

I like the Samsung 500T, but at $699 with no keyboard dock it is quite expensive. I think the dock (if I can get one) is around $175ish. Which makes the 500T closer to $900 when compared to the $700 Surface RT.. I have no legacy programs I want to install either, I have my PC for those tasks.
    Mate, you will not be disappointed with the Surface RT it works well for what it does. The Samsung 500T running the new Intel Clover Trail chipset is exciting but trust me, at the moment you don't want to be running desktop apps on anything but an Intel Core ix processor based tablet. The performance is not there yet and remember desktop apps are not designed with tablets and mobile computing in mind. For running desktop apps one will be better off with a hybrid-ultrabook. Even the Surface Pro which will be running an Intel Core i5 chip will be heavier and very likely have a fan thus noise & heat. Since you don't want to run desktop apps, the Surface RT will more than meet your requirements.
    Last edited by paulm187; 11-28-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Well, this is annoying...

I just found that I can get the Samsung 500T from the US shipped to me with a keyboard dock for $50 more than the 64GB Surface RT...

$50 isn't much of a spread between the 2 devices..

Samsung vs Microsoft
    Intel Atom vs Tegra 3
    Win8 vs WinRT
    Plastic vs VaporMag
    Hard keyboard dock vs Touch cover
    Digitizer vs No-digitizer?

Everything else seems to be about on par..
    Read the review here for the Samsung 500T Samsung’s Ativ 500T: Not the Windows 8 tablet you’ve been waiting for | ExtremeTech

I don't think it will be the best choice at the moment.
    Banned

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Dude.. You still here? I owned both an ipad and a surface for a short period of time. The reason it was short was that after a week of using the surface i realised the the ipad is a childs toy and stuck it on ebay. The best thing about the ipad is the money i got for it paid for the surface. And snake oil? Hows that reality distortion field holding up under Tim Cook?

And linking review sites? Please... Ive yet to find an unbiased review anywhere on any product available. If everyone believed the reviews everyone would own iphone5's and be getting lost with iOS 6 because apparently its a perfect phone and a perfect OS. Form your own opinions fella, wake up and stop being a sheep.

Bottom line is the guy wants an opinion on the Surface rt not links to reviews. If you dont own a surface you can't really comment as your opinions are based on someone elses views
    By an unbiased review you obviously mean a favorable review, so I am not gonna argue about that with you. I have a Windows desktop machine, a Windows notebook, the Xbox 360 and a Windows Phone. The iPad is the only Apple product I own. I made my choice platform agnostic I just wanted the best tablet experience. For me (and most people) the iPad offers that. I'm glad you enjoy your Surface, that's honestly great for you. But other peoples needs may vary.

By an unbiased review you obviously mean a favorable review, so I am not gonna argue about that with you. I have a Windows desktop machine, a Windows notebook, the Xbox 360 and a Windows Phone. The iPad is the only Apple product I own. I made my choice platform agnostic I just wanted the best tablet experience. For me (and most people) the iPad offers that. I'm glad you enjoy your Surface, that's honestly great for you. But other peoples needs may vary.
    Doesnt have to be favourable just realistic - alot of reviews are skewed from the start from them being performed on pre-release devices and they are just opinions of the reviewer at the time. Ive taken to waiting until Joe Public gets hold of the device and they start posting there own product reviews before i make any decisions on tech nowadays.
    Also gotta put out an apology you were coming across as a bit of an isheep and it got my back up a bit. The recent ipad upgrade was the last straw in the apple coffin for me Ive had iphones and ipods in the past (+2years ago) along with the recently departed ipad that just didnt do the job anymore and have come to hate apple as a company. Same old BS year on year and everyone just laps it up.
    Theres just things the ipad cant do when you comare it to the Surface. The multitasking just makes you wonder how you ever got on without it. Having my twitter feed on 1/3 screen and facebook on 2/3 for example. You can get so much more information in one go on one screen. Sitting in meetings with the kickstand out recording whats going on while making notes, the camera placement just makes you wonder why hasnt this been done before? Its a means of entertainment as well as a productivity device and has the power to do both at once. The ipad just cant keep up with that at the moment.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    i've been an ipad unlimited 3g owner since day one only just upgrading to an ipad2 this year.
    I also ventured into the whole blackberry playbook thing with a 16 and then 64GB device.Several of us at work jumped on the Playbook bandwagon looking at the hardware specs especially as the price point got better but the software just never came about.I recently gave away my 16 PB to coworker and have been unsuccessfully trying to locally sell my entire 64GB PB setup for months. It seems that the BB is going the way of the startac for corporate connectivity as more folks convert to android and ios phones.

Earlier this year i converted from a slow 3g tmo bold to a 4G Nokia Lumia and have been very impressed with the WinPhone OS on a small form factor. So much so that i was willing to give Win8 preview a go and eventually gave up on the PB for a Surface RT.

You can't argue the build quality of the Surface versus the majority of its competitors and even though its as heavy as the Playbook is somehow feels more comfortable in hand because if its thinness.
    Nothing like popping out the kick stand and going at it versus fooling around with cases i'm surprised no one figured this out especially the integrated keyboard lids of which i have both and prefer the type lid. The surface has just about everything I need to replace my laptop with exception of the following two items.

The first is a Cisco VPN IP Sec certified client that my employer will support that will allow me to use the surfaces remote desktop feature to VPN to my work computer where I can do just about any task I can do at work on the road. I wasn't able to do this with my Playbook although I could do this with my iPad but the screen resolution sucked.

The second is the ability to use Go-to-Meeting, Go-to-Webinar, or Webex which is how most companies communicate or conduct remote training these days. Again I could not do this on my Playbook as good as that hardware was on the web and with multitasking.

As far as apps, I could care less. As long as I can get on the internet (which is also a weakness of the Win8 browser), I have access to most everything I need other than a good email client and media player (both of which are also weaknesses in the Win8 environment). But most of what I do in in MS Office so having a pure MS Office app versus a "compatible" one makes a huge difference. Until we go to Office 365 I think this will always be a differentiator for enterprise users.

Right now my ipad2 sits gathering dust wasting its unlimited 3g connection and my toshiba ultrabook is on the verge of doing the same as i also experiment with this new Samsung Chromebook as another option of running thin as you run remote. As as beautiful as the integration of Chrome is across platforms, it just isn't going to replace the microsoft dominated the platform of enterprise anytime soon although for allot of smaller businesses it makes sense plus the price point is so good you could buy one for everyone in the office without blinking an eye. But Chrome somehow just seem to fit with my assigned Droid Razr Maxx work phone. While the Surface seems to fit with my Lumia personal phone.

And that is why the Surface with Win8 Pro will struggle with an starting price point over $1000. At that price you might as well get an Air and dual boot it like most frequent fliers in the office have done or just get a new super thin win8 pro ultrabook.

I think the new Win8 phones like the Nokia 920/HTC 8X (although battery life seems to be more important for road warriors these days) and these Surface devices will pop up more and more as the wardrobe of choice for the traveling enterprise worker.

Although the Surface isn't perfect, its a good start. But then again Microsoft doesn't have a good track record with these types of ventures.
    All I have to do is look at my 32GB Zune HD which I bought for its brilliant screen resolution and OS and worry about the future of such MS devices.

But this is just one of a million opinions you have to sort from

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I don't want to get in the middle of a pissing match, but I do want to offer a few points. One, the Anand review was Oct 23 meaning he was reviewing the pre-release. Less than one week after release, MS put out a substantial patch and firmware update that solves much of the lag and flash performance issues. Also Office software was updated to full version which removed performance problems there. For me, I honestly don't care if the iPad is better performing, it does not have the features I need to conduct my business. Surface is the first tablet to give me what I've been wanting from iPad for so long. Example, most of the websites my company uses for backend finance, accounting, invoicing, payroll, etc. all require IE. I tried every browser I could find on iPad but they never worked. Surface they work. The full Office software gives me the ability to work on complex files like redlined contracts and complicated budget files with pivot tables, etc. It is also a bonus that I can use USB flash drives or SD memory card.

So I won't argue that iPad is more mature and performs better, but it does not have the features I need to be most productive.
    Thanked by:
    v10type-r likes this.
    My review is this.

Surface does more. I rely on the Surface at school, I can not with the iPad.

At school i do a lot of typing. Surface has a great keyboard, iPad does not (you can buy one, i haven't used any that I like)

Even if you can find a good keyboard for the iPad, you gotta use something to type to. Windows has Office. In class, a teacher puts a Word document online containing instructions for a project. On the Surface i can easily download and open it in Word for RT.

I've typed many assignments on my Surface and have been able to print to a WiFi printer very easily! (no apps needed, no setup AT ALL). Even if i didn't have a WiFi printer, its not a big deal cause i can just move it over to a flash drive.

Surface blows the iPad out of the water when it comes to usability. My Surface has completely replaced my laptop at school, I could never say the same about my iPad!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Thanked by:
    v10type-r likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast