- 11-27-2012, 12:25 AM #1
Acer Iconia W510 Windows 8 Pro tablet available at Microsoft's online store for $399 | Windows Phone Central
Anyone thinking of selling their Surface for this Acer? I know is has lesser hardware and no Office, but is being able to run any Windows application a good trade off? I really like my Surface, but I see it's limitations after having it for a month. Well, limitations for what I want to do with it. And at $399, it's a good deal.
- 11-27-2012, 12:36 AM #2
I wouldn't assume the hardware is lesser, the atom in there is a brand new design. Here's a rough idea for how they stack up (the samsung has the same chipset):
Last edited by oldpueblo; 11-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.
- 11-27-2012, 03:23 AM #3
Which apps do you plan to add to a 32GB Windows 8 tablet? Windows 8 will take at least half of that 32 GB by itself not including swap file/cache. Add a few large apps (Office, Photoshop, Acrobat,) and you will find you are limited to MicroSD for file storage and access. I can assure you that will slow down performance and the device is hardly a performance record setter in the first place. I have also seen nothing on Acer's web page or at the Microsoft store to confirm it is any more than a MicroSDHC slot. Throw in as well that you give up the full size USB port for a micro-USB port. That then makes using external drives a bit more of a nuisance. Altogether, I view this as an example of you get what you pay for and what you are paying for is not very much.
- 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM #4
The downside to the Acer is the keyboard dock is 250 bucks. It does add 9 hours of battery life, but now you're talking 650 bucks. For that price I would probably wait and see what the Surface Pro pricing is, or consider an ultra book.
- 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM #7
- By Flippzii in forum General Tablet & Laptop DiscussionReplies: 13Last Post: 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM
- By aldovelco in forum General Tablet & Laptop DiscussionReplies: 13Last Post: 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM
- By jdevenberg in forum General Tablet & Laptop DiscussionReplies: 8Last Post: 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM
- By rx74ray in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 12Last Post: 10-19-2012, 12:35 PM
- By cj-m in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 12Last Post: 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM