Acer W510 vs Surface RT

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Which apps do you plan to add to a 32GB Windows 8 tablet? Windows 8 will take at least half of that 32 GB by itself not including swap file/cache. Add a few large apps (Office, Photoshop, Acrobat,) and you will find you are limited to MicroSD for file storage and access. I can assure you that will slow down performance and the device is hardly a performance record setter in the first place. I have also seen nothing on Acer's web page or at the Microsoft store to confirm it is any more than a MicroSDHC slot. Throw in as well that you give up the full size USB port for a micro-USB port. That then makes using external drives a bit more of a nuisance. Altogether, I view this as an example of you get what you pay for and what you are paying for is not very much.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Which apps do you plan to add to a 32GB Windows 8 tablet? Windows 8 will take at least half of that 32 GB by itself not including swap file/cache. Add a few large apps (Office, Photoshop, Acrobat,) and you will find you are limited to MicroSD for file storage and access. I can assure you that will slow down performance and the device is hardly a performance record setter in the first place. I have also seen nothing on Acer's web page or at the Microsoft store to confirm it is any more than a MicroSDHC slot. Throw in as well that you give up the full size USB port for a micro-USB port. That then makes using external drives a bit more of a nuisance. Altogether, I view this as an example of you get what you pay for and what you are paying for is not very much.

There a time tracking/invoice app that I'd like to use on a tablet (I'm a developer and it would help when visiting clients). There's also a financial app I use that syncs the desktop version with my iPad. There's nothing in the RT store that fits my needs for this situation, and I have years of data invested into this system.

The downside to the Acer is the keyboard dock is 250 bucks. It does add 9 hours of battery life, but now you're talking 650 bucks. For that price I would probably wait and see what the Surface Pro pricing is, or consider an ultra book.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
There a time tracking/invoice app that I'd like to use on a tablet (I'm a developer and it would help when visiting clients). There's also a financial app I use that syncs the desktop version with my iPad. There's nothing in the RT store that fits my needs for this situation, and I have years of data invested into this system.

The downside to the Acer is the keyboard dock is 250 bucks. It does add 9 hours of battery life, but now you're talking 650 bucks. For that price I would probably wait and see what the Surface Pro pricing is, or consider an ultra book.

Surface Pro won't be less than $999, guaranteed. Though I would still choose it over an ultrabook (even the dirt cheap ones) given how nice the formfactor of Surface Pro is.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
From the reviews of the W510 that I've read, I think you will be very disappointed in build quality going to the W510 from the Surface. I would also not be surprised if the screen is worse on the W510.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
From the reviews of the W510 that I've read, I think you will be very disappointed in build quality going to the W510 from the Surface. I would also not be surprised if the screen is worse on the W510.

Yeah, I tend to agree after looking more into it. And it's not 399.00 anymore. The low price for a full W8 tablet is what initially attracted me. But the keyboard dock being 250 bucks is a deal breaker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans