Metro/ModernUI apps ignoring passwords in Vault

tomm1ed

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My Surface RT (64GB) finally arrived yesterday and after 1.5hours of installing updates (and just looking at that beautiful device :p) I finally got to play with out. After one day of use I have found a rather irritating bug, which really sucks. The Metro apps (like Video) are completely ignoring the username/password I added to the Password vault, which causes an error when trying to play a file from my WHSv1 machine.
To test, I created a local account with a username/password combo which the WHS machine knows, allowing me to play the videofiles. What's irritating is that I can't add my WHSv1 shares to my libraries because WindowsRT tells me they are 'not indexed', which means I have to start every video from the friggin' desktop. (and the funniest part of all; my Windows 8 laptop has no problem whatsoever adding those same shares to it's library!)

298341.png
(The error is in Dutch and says 'Unable to play file. Unsupported file type. It plays perfectly if I copy it to my C: first)

I already tried adding drive, mounting them using mklink, but nothing seems to work except forfeiting the use of a Microsoft account and creating a local account.
298341.png
(The error when adding the UNC to my library)

I added the required credentials to my Vault and can browse the share perfectly in Desktop mode and the files play on a local account, but I would prefer to use a Microsoft Account. Does anyone have any insight and/or a solution?

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

tomm1ed

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried adding the share as a folder instead of a mapped drive? (This should allow the indexing)

Do you see any errors on the WHS Event logs when your get the errors on this side?

I have shares mapped to my RT with no issues, and play video without any errors.

*PS. Also check out How Do I Access Shared Folders on Windows Home Server With Permanent - Microsoft Community
to make sure the credentials are setup properly.
Thanks for your input! By switching to a local account (renaming my account to the same username as on the WHSv1) and back to a Microsoft Account I am now able to play video files from my WHSv1, but unfortunately I have to open them from the desktop. Still unable to add them to my library. The thread on answers.microsoft.com you pointed to is regarding WHS2011 (which is based on Windows2008R2 which presumably is indexed according to Windows RT). Unfortunately I still use WHSv1...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Libraries are a failed implementation and it is time for MS to own up to as much. They need to have an option called "Allow this location to manage its own index" and ignore that stupid index setting. My Hipserv box indexes its files just fine, but because it doesn't conform to the Windows Search 4.0 API Windows won't play with it. It is a very arrogant "old Microsoft" way of doing things that needs to stop.

tomm1ed

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Libraries are a failed implementation and it is time for MS to own up to as much. They need to have an option called "Allow this location to manage its own index" and ignore that stupid index setting. My Hipserv box indexes its files just fine, but because it doesn't conform to the Windows Search 4.0 API Windows won't play with it. It is a very arrogant "old Microsoft" way of doing things that needs to stop.
This is the exact problem. I am now updating my WHSv1 to WHS2011 (already bought the key, but put off updating for quite some time) Must say I am impressed by WHS2011, but still in the process of copying back my files so haven't tested it with the Surface yet. Will update :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb