Run remote x86 apps on your surface - AMAZING

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
- This thing just keeps getting better and better - and to think I debated returning it a few days ago.
REMOTE APPS KICK ASS - you do not need to do anything in the registry to make them work !!!
Running Autocad, Photoshop, Sketchup, Rhino.......all with minimal lag!!!!

See the following links on how to do this:
[GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps - xda-developers
How to enable remote apps in Windows 8 and Windows RT ? Mattalter's Blog

This is nice but my PC is still using windows 7 :-s .

Edit: and it needs windows 8 enterprise

Edit: Actually it seems like this works on windows 7 ultimate and that's exactly what I'm using now. Will test it once I got home. Thanks for the link.

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Waiting on a DLL hack/drop fix (Like MediaCenter stuff in Windows Vista) rip the DLL/files from ENT to Pro to enable it. Reg keys and all that can be made no problem.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Can I use it with Windows 8 pro?

If you are referring to Teamviewer Touch, it absolutely does not require Windows 8 Enterprise. As for the hack described, anything that includes as its second step: "Disable the firewall in Windows 8 for all networks." will generally not be high on my list of options....

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have it working with XP Pro sp3, runs photoshop, AutoCAD...save uTorrent files direct to your tablet, but the program is run on your server with next to no lag what so ever. Seems you can stream music from your server without lag, but don't try to do video, that def doesn't work, however you can upload direct to your local Surface drive.....And I didn't realize that when I set up remote desktop, the Surface automatically shows full access to the network server through explorer....so basically, as long as you have internet connection, your running a full portable desktop computer, should you need it to do that. Im surprised MS isn't advertising this more, this is why people should buy this device......that and the new modern ui is really great. Its lacking in the app department, but as I see it, it makes no difference, because im lugging a extremely mobile, portable version of my home / office computer. Modern UI is pretty great too, I set up separate users for myself and my wife, each account login syncs to each of our accounts, can be completely personalized, different apps. Once Gameloft, and EA games come out, this will be a tough device to beat, I really don't understand the negative reviews, this thing gets 5 stars from me.

Its pretty bad ass, probably the device ive been waiting for. And to top it off, I use the thing with typecover on my lap all the time, which is what people keep saying that it doesn't work.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Might be something good for the office but not for home use. Unless you spend the extra bucks on the Enterprise version.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Is the remote app that much faster than a remote desktop session when on the same network? I have photo editing software that could benefit from a little extra precision when remoting in, but my experience so far is that the remote desktop app is outstanding, especially from Win8 Pro to the RT.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Is the remote app that much faster than a remote desktop session when on the same network? I have photo editing software that could benefit from a little extra precision when remoting in, but my experience so far is that the remote desktop app is outstanding, especially from Win8 Pro to the RT.

There is a slight noticeable difference. The main benefit is that you can pin the program "icon" to your desktop or start screen, and automatically launch the program instead of launching remote, and going to start menu, launching program, etc.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If you are referring to Teamviewer Touch, it absolutely does not require Windows 8 Enterprise. As for the hack described, anything that includes as its second step: "Disable the firewall in Windows 8 for all networks." will generally not be high on my list of options....

I see Touch just went release. Not seeing what's different, but good news I guess. Only problem is, you have to use Tv8 on computers as well. Teamviewer 8 on PC still has a few issues - it stops one of my W7 PC's booting properly for example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99