Windows RT Conundrum

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Here's the conundrum with Windows RT.

I wanted a tablet where I could have more productivity on. The Android and iPad tablets just didn't do it for me. Their Microsoft Office equals just didn't feel good enough for me. So when the Surface and Windows RT was announced with Office and a fill working browser (not mobile), I was sold. I pre-ordered on day one.

Now that I own it, I often feel like I want more from it now. Sure, I enjoyed my time with my Android tablet but it never felt like a complete solution. Now with the Surface and RT, I find myself wanting a full version of Windows now rather than just RT. It is odd because I was OK with a mobile OS like Android and here we have a mobile OS in Windows RT with more productivity power yet I don't feel completely satisfied. I want to fire up one of my classic GOG games from time to time as "app store" games just don't do anything for me. I want a
little more power in some of my apps.

So perhaps it does boil down to the app Store. Yeah, there's the argument that you don't need apps but Windows RT NEEDS some quality and powerful apps. Everything seems half baked. The mal app, XBOX Music and many others just feel half way made.

At the moment, I am considering a decent touchscreen Windows 8 laptop and letting my Lumia 920 meet my mobile needs. Though I want to be patient on Windows RT but I do not see a
lot of excitement about RT thus far.

And I am a full supporter of the new "8" ecosystem...this isn't a flame post but wanted to discuss the future of Windows RT.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
You pretty much summed it up. The OEMs stance on the ARM Windows 8 tablets has been very lukewarm and with the clover trail chips coming I think the whole point of the RT will become moot very soon. The only place where ARM tablets could fit in is if they would come in at a considerably lower price point. But so far that has not been the case.

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT has a bright future IMO. The next generation ARM processors such as the Tegra 4 will be very powerful and still sip power. As it stands, Intel is trying to hit lower power consumption figures while ARM is trying to hit higher performance. The two are converging upon each other in power usage and performance, however, ARM has the advantage when it comes to power usage at the moment. Windows RT tablets that will be released in 2013 will be lighter and higher performing than the CloverTrail equivalents.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
MS isn't even using the 5th battery saving core of the Tegra3 yet. When that happens you will see battery life soar and the Surface will be extremely relavent.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I do like my Surface...nice design and the idea was great. But as a power user, I may end up passing it down to my wife and getting her a magenta keyboard and I may pick up an ASUS VivoBook S200E...seems to be a good touch screen laptop for the price (on a budget for sure right now.) I could live with being stuck with 4GB on my laptop. Or just be patient with it and see where it goes. I would like to see better gaming on it. Again, I am not a gamer but when I do game, want more than Angry Birds, Plants Vs. Zombies, solitaire, etc. To me, the Windows RT screams for ports and remakes of the Myst series...just sayin'!

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I do like my Surface...nice design and the idea was great. But as a power user, I may end up passing it down to my wife and getting her a magenta keyboard and I may pick up an ASUS VivoBook S200E...seems to be a good touch screen laptop for the price (on a budget for sure right now.) I could live with being stuck with 4GB on my laptop. Or just be patient with it and see where it goes. I would like to see better gaming on it. Again, I am not a gamer but when I do game, want more than Angry Birds, Plants Vs. Zombies, solitaire, etc. To me, the Windows RT screams for ports and remakes of the Myst series...just sayin'!

If you like Myst, you will like Adera, check it out, first episode is free on the Windows Store.

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a desktop for my desktop apps. My surface for my mobile apps...PLUS office.

I want to see improvements in the Mail/Xbox/Music apps...but this is the same for the x86 versions as well...they just aren't well made apps.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a desktop for my desktop apps. My surface for my mobile apps...PLUS office.

I want to see improvements in the Mail/Xbox/Music apps...but this is the same for the x86 versions as well...they just aren't well made apps.

True...I have a powerful desktop for my desktop apps so I can develop or do video editing...I don't mind so much the focus on mobile type apps for RT but yeah, they need some work...especially Mail...surprised we've not seen another mail client yet. And I do utilize VPN and remote desktop a lot on my Surface...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am still finding I want my legacy apps/games...I want to downsize some and not have so many gadgets/PC's...as someone who works for a place that has 90% Excel spreadsheets with much of them having VBA, Surface RT may not cut it for me since I need VBA access and macros. Of course, I can always remote desktop into my main PC and work on my full Windows 8 machine there... :)

Would love to load my GOG games on it... :(

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you are saying. i replaced my iPad (gave it to wife) with the RT and it is leaps and bounds better for what i do. it has gotten me closer to a laptop replacement when i travel but i would say it is 80% there where the ipad was 50%. what is missing for me is the abilit to host a webex meeting and present content from the device, also a file sync and Share app Syncplicity is missing as well. I feel like be 80% of a laptop has made me desire the full funtionality of a windows 8 tablet. I am now working on getting VMware view setup on it (not sure if i will be able to load the app as it is in preview and needs to be side loaded) and think that will get me the rest of the way. if that does not pan out i will look to getting a surface pro, though i am not sold on the extra weight and shorter battery life.

i was also hoping for more apps around productivity but it has only been 3 months. i will give it another quarter then reevaluate. i have been reaching out to companies that dont have RT apps asking for them to bring them out. hopefully they will see some demand and opt to support the platform.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I hear what you are saying. i replaced my iPad (gave it to wife) with the RT and it is leaps and bounds better for what i do. it has gotten me closer to a laptop replacement when i travel but i would say it is 80% there where the ipad was 50%. what is missing for me is the abilit to host a webex meeting and present content from the device, also a file sync and Share app Syncplicity is missing as well. I feel like be 80% of a laptop has made me desire the full funtionality of a windows 8 tablet. I am now working on getting VMware view setup on it (not sure if i will be able to load the app as it is in preview and needs to be side loaded) and think that will get me the rest of the way. if that does not pan out i will look to getting a surface pro, though i am not sold on the extra weight and shorter battery life.

i was also hoping for more apps around productivity but it has only been 3 months. i will give it another quarter then reevaluate. i have been reaching out to companies that dont have RT apps asking for them to bring them out. hopefully they will see some demand and opt to support the platform.

Don't anyone get me wrong. I want Surface and Windows 8 tablets to succeed. But as my title says, this is a Conundrum. Do I want a I didn't feel as productive on my Android tablet and for sure the Surface RT is better. But now that I am teased with "almost Windows 8" (or basically, pure Windows 8), I feel like I am now wanting my older games and Visual Studio to run on it so I feel totally productive and not have to have a separate laptop. I am in the process of consolidating my gadgets so I have less. I feel that my Windows Phone 8 does quite well as a touch device and I am strongly considering selling my surface for a hybrid laptop for work and fun. Sometimes a tablet almost feels redundant with a smartphone (especially when you compare an iPad and iPhone...basically the same device.)

And on the subject of apps...Windows RT is going to need killer apps to succeed. I don't think it is going to sell on keyboard and Microsoft Office alone.

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't a Surface Pro better suit your needs? I have no desire for that, but it sounds like you might. If you need anything more, you might as well have a laptop.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't anyone get me wrong. I want Surface and Windows 8 tablets to succeed. But as my title says, this is a Conundrum. Do I want a I didn't feel as productive on my Android tablet and for sure the Surface RT is better. But now that I am teased with "almost Windows 8" (or basically, pure Windows 8), I feel like I am now wanting my older games and Visual Studio to run on it so I feel totally productive and not have to have a separate laptop. I am in the process of consolidating my gadgets so I have less. I feel that my Windows Phone 8 does quite well as a touch device and I am strongly considering selling my surface for a hybrid laptop for work and fun. Sometimes a tablet almost feels redundant with a smartphone (especially when you compare an iPad and iPhone...basically the same device.)

And on the subject of apps...Windows RT is going to need killer apps to succeed. I don't think it is going to sell on keyboard and Microsoft Office alone.

Seriously dude, just go get a x86 machine if you are just going to revive thread and continue to moan about lack of legacy apps

chuks22

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
if u need more from rt, then u need a pc, Simple!!!
rt if fine, a fresh OS, and ppl moaning after 3 months.
I remember IOS & android at 3 months old, makes me think RT is gold.
The future is RT, The future is ARM.

btw, HTC making two 7/11 inches RT devices

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Got the VMware view client installed and it is money. Now have the full functionality of my remote windows 7 desktop and access to all my work apps when i need it. But have the benefit of a light weight tablet with 10 hours of battery life. Plus the touch cover and mouse and easy vga out for hooking up to a projector. The Surface with this configuration blows away the iPad i had, no comparison on functionality.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Yoga and loved it (touchscreen, Windows 8 Pro, small ultrabook that converts to a slate). But I found all I needed was the Surface RT. Sure, if you need x86/x64 apps, you've gotta get a non-ARM device - and I highly recommend the Yoga or any of the revised Samsung Series 7 they released at CES. A wee bit pricey, but incredible machines that are ultra slim and easy to carry (+10 hours of battery!).

But since I found myself not needing x86/x64 apps - and I don't have any games I want to play on such a device (real gaming needs my mouse and my big screens), I'm happy as a clam with my Surface. While everyone seems to have a few things they don't like about the Surface, the only hard one to swallow for me is the lackluster Email app. As it is now, I love this Surface machine 90%. If they would greatly enhance the email app, I'd be at 100% satisfaction. For now, I'm happily sending emails, editing full documents via my personal SkyDrive, managing work docs via SkyDrive Pro, giving presentations via real live Microsoft PowerPoint (nearly impossible on an iPad - even with the right connector) and have an awesome keyboard that's always hinged to my Surface. I love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999