Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

I picked up my Surface this morning and my Touch Cover was hanging from my Surface. This is obviously a manufacturing defect and I will be heading into my local Microsoft Holiday store today to have it replaced. Has anyone else had this happen? Pics below.

wp_20121210_004.jpgwp_20121210_005.jpg

nope, i've just test it and it stays fit. but mine is pretty recent, how old is yours?

Global Posts
    2,540 Global Posts
    Damn, that sucks. I dont see any reason why that wouldnt get exchanged though, clearly it's on their end. I havnt heard of this happening to anyone before, only a very small part of the "fabric" coming out of under the connector plastic, but never like this.

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    holy crap haha.

Nah all good over here.

Nice wallpaper you got there :)

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Damn, that sucks. I dont see any reason why that wouldnt get exchanged though, clearly it's on their end. I havnt heard of this happening to anyone before, only a very small part of the "fabric" coming out of under the connector plastic, but never like this.
    Yeah, I've seen the fabric issue. Happened to my friend's Surface. I rarely take the touch cover off too.

Quote Originally Posted by aldovelco View Post
    Nice wallpaper you got there :)
    Thanks! My buddy made it. He actually made a logo for all of us that play BF3 to match up with our Soldier names. :)

BTW, those pics were taken with my HTC 8x...liking the camera.

Global Posts
    1,587 Global Posts
    I am totally shocked that the super strong magnets they used are just attached to the fabric and not to some more robust structure inside the cover. That is unacceptable design and engineering right there.
    lexmarq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    I am totally shocked that the super strong magnets they used are just attached to the fabric and not to some more robust structure inside the cover. That is unacceptable design and engineering right there.
    Yeah, they are held in place by their own magnet. After that, it's just a thin piece of metal with some glue on it.

wp_20121210_006.jpgwp_20121210_007.jpg

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    smooth move there chief! It would be interesting to know your locale/climate.

Global Posts
    1,638 Global Posts
    How did that happen? You said you walked out and it was hanging there? Did a pet get a hold of the device? I'm not doubting your story at all, but it seems like there would need to be some type of leverage to make the cover just rip off like that. I'm just trying to make sure I don't do the same thing. Good luck at the MS store, I'm sure they'll replace it.

Global Posts
    993 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    What would you have them do - redesign that touch cover with little metal hinges? Otherwise, the magnets are obviously always going to be attached to the part that connects to the tablet and there is always then going to be a bit in between that bends back and forth. Saying it is an unacceptable design flaw is the equivalent of saying the human shoulder is an obvious design flaw because if you pull hard enough you can pull the arm out of its socket.

Global Posts
    993 Global Posts
    Personally, everything about the images suggests to me a violent act which usually also implies intent. Sorry but the twisted nature of the connector doesn't look like something that would happen by "picking up" the tablet.

Yeah that happened to mine, I am just sticking it out with some black electrical tape though... :(

...kidding, haha, no hasn't happened!

holy crap, send that back to Microsoft and maybe they will give you two touch covers for your troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    Personally, everything about the images suggests to me a violent act which usually also implies intent. Sorry but the twisted nature of the connector doesn't look like something that would happen by "picking up" the tablet.
    First of all, I didn't do anything jarring to the device. Last night I was using the Surface in bed like always...mostly with the cover as a surface...playing some Wordament. Plugged it in and set it on my night stand. Woke up this morning, pulled the cover off which I only do occasionally and the cover stayed half attached to my Surface. The magnets pulled out of the Surface body. As you can see in the original pictures, the metal was not twisted/mangled like it looks in the 2nd set of pictures. When I pulled the strip of metal (which is VERY thin and malleable) the magnets are so strong that they latched together and it was really hard to pull them apart. No possible way I could do it with my fingers, so I got a little knife and wedged it between the magnets. This is why it's looking a little mangled in the 2nd set of pics.

To answer some of the other questions:

- I would say the Surface was maybe a month old.

- I live near Cleveland and my bedroom is probably around 70 degrees at all times. Also, the Surface was never near a heater or anything that would heat it up causing the glue to loosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    holy crap, send that back to Microsoft and maybe they will give you two touch covers for your troubles.
    So, my Surface is the 64 GB that comes with the black touch cover. I went to my local Microsoft Holiday store today and they exchanged my Surface of course. I asked if there was any way that he could give me a red cover instead of the black one that comes in the box. He grabbed one for me, AND also let me keep the black one! Now, that's customer service. :)

I was planning on returning my Surface anyways because the volume rocker issue was driving me crazy. Almost every time I turned the volume down, it would shoot down to zero and stay on screen. My new Surface volume rocker feels MUCH tighter and I can't duplicate that issue. I wonder if that issue will come back or if it was a specific (or early) run of Surface tabs.
    aldovelco and PHVL like this.

Global Posts
    1,587 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    What would you have them do - redesign that touch cover with little metal hinges? Otherwise, the magnets are obviously always going to be attached to the part that connects to the tablet and there is always then going to be a bit in between that bends back and forth. Saying it is an unacceptable design flaw is the equivalent of saying the human shoulder is an obvious design flaw because if you pull hard enough you can pull the arm out of its socket.
    Uh, I would have them put a bend in the metal and then extend it under the keys a little ways and glue the metal to the bottom of the keys. That would transfer the force to a much larger area than a thin strip of metal held in place by a seam of the cover material.

Hey, anyone want to trade my black touch cover for a type cover?

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    When you pull the keyboard from the Surface, make sure you have one hand on the keyboard, and pull straight up on the Surface. I've seen people "peel" the Surface from the keyboard, from one side to the other. That seems to put stress on one side of the magnets, which then causes it to rip out.

Global Posts
    1,587 Global Posts
    I hate when I HAVE to do things a certain way for it to not "break" a faulty design. Putting super strong magnets in the cover and supporting them with only the cover material is just poor engineering. Luckily its the only poor engineering on the whole unit it seems.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lildrgn View Post
    When you pull the keyboard from the Surface, make sure you have one hand on the keyboard, and pull straight up on the Surface. I've seen people "peel" the Surface from the keyboard, from one side to the other. That seems to put stress on one side of the magnets, which then causes it to rip out.
    if adhesive tape is really all that's holding the magnets in, peeling or straight pulling is not going to solve the problem of the lack of proper adhesive.

I had the same thing happen to my surface last night. I unfortunately was told I cant bring it to the pop up store and have to wait for them to send a new one. luckily it still works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast