Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    I also was going to hold out for a pro which is what the surface should be but with only 4-5 hours of battery life in not spending $800 on it. That's justcrazy.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    but let me guess, you'd go spend that money on a 11" Macbook Air that gets similiar battery life.
    Thanked by:
    Flagz 
    justop26 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    i have my opinion about it based on countless reviews and articles.
    that is your problem, and disqualifies you from any further input. The majority of us here are actual OWNERS. You don't get what the Surface RT is about, then you go on to pooh pooh the cost of the Surface Pro. You are obviously here with an agenda, go away.
    justop26 likes this.

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I think once these things are in the brick and mortars, interest will pick up. Just yesterday I had mine set up at work and someone came by and asked all kinds of questions about it. "I have seen a lot of commercials about it, but I have not seen them for sale anywhere. I want to replace my Xoom."

That will probably turn into a sale when she sees them on display in a store. She was concerned about it being wifi only since she has data on her Xoom through VZW, but I told her that she could transfer her data plan to a wifi hotspot device and not only be able to use that data for her tablet, but any wifi capable device. She seemed very interested in this idea.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    or just tether via phone, you know, the way most people do it.

The biggest problem is if she strolls into the store and, just as I predicted, finds a disheveled display with a broken or dead battery Surface laying there with uninterested employees shuffling by.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    What do you mean by mature? Its windows!
    It's Windows RT, not Windows 8. It's about as mature as WP7.0 was two years ago.

And before the fanboys jump in with this "you don't know what you're talking about" BS that's been so prominent in this thread, I owned a Surface RT for several weeks before sending it back.

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I don't, I was planning on purchasing one because I have win 8 at home and l920 but the surface is handicapped. I've read every review and have been to the ms store in Manhattan to play with one. Its underpowered and expensive for what it is especially compared to the nexus. Microsoft should have put a clovertrail in it. Also the reason ms didn't make it cheaper was to coddle the OEMs, Acer,dell,Asus etc. If the surface was $350 or $400 with the touch keyboard its a perfect sell even with its limited market.
    the look and feel of the of the device is perfect but because its meant to challenge the iPad and its type of software it need to be priced lower. Also Ms including office was a nice touch but having the desktop built in to use 2/3 applications is useless.
    its not a terrible device just one that wasn't implemented to its fullest. If you have one and think its great than that's wonderful, i have my opinion about it based on countless reviews and articles. If i wasn't on the 6 train I'd type a little more , gonna be entering a subway tunnel so this is gonna be short
    Countless reviews and articles mean dyck compared to user experience. And user experience is not spending 30 seconds on a store playing with a non maintained non updated device. I was playing with a couple of Android tablets at a store and they were incredibly laggy and choppy. Probably because Bif pulled it out of the box, powered it up and put it on the display table without updating it first.

I have owned the Surface since day one and it is always updated and runs like silk. So the reviews mean **** to me. My experience is worth more than some random blogger that is considered an "expert" because he wears thick glasses and has a self satisfied smirk in his pictures.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker View Post
    It's Windows RT, not Windows 8. It's about as mature as WP7.0 was two years ago.

And before the fanboys jump in with this "you don't know what you're talking about" BS that's been so prominent in this thread, I owned a Surface RT for several weeks before sending it back.

And that means what? Your opinion is more qualified than mine because I like my Surface? I don't know which is worse: fanboys or those that are so wrapped up in calling anyone who doesn't complain a fanboy.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    don't feed those things that we can't speak of....

But his statement is categorically false.

Windows 8 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows RT is Windows 8 compiled for ARM with only a limited desktop and no legacy app being the practical differences. Saying anything else is a LIE. You can conduct all of the same OS management functions with RT as you can with Windows 8. Windows RT even offers a few things Windows 8 doesn't such as device encryption. As such, Windows RT on your Surface IS as mature as Windows 8 on a PC.

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    I agree to a point. But Reviews matter. Not scores but the written (typed) words. When the majority of reviews state the same thing pros or cons, then deciding if the negatives would affect your use of the device how can that be wrong or how can an individual have a "bad" opinion. Yes I played with a surface only 3 or 4 times since release but that doesn't matter. I have windows 8 at home I know the software. I was referring to the device itself and what I feel it can and can't do for me . If you like the device and it suits your needs that's wonderful but in my eyes and most people who cover tech feel Microsoft shot themselves in the foot due to pricing, false storage advertising (even tho there's microsd) useless desktop, no legacy apps, poor camera,poor CPU choice. can't blame them for the lack luster market since its a new platform.

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    For those of you who don't own a Surface RT, and base your conclusion on reviews, here is a good article for you to read:

Never Trust Laptop and Tablet Reviews - LockerGnome

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    See, you are just regurigtating the same talking points of the reviews. The storage is not falsely advertised (it does contain a 32Gb SSD), useless desktop? the desktop is used for managing all the underbelly aspects of Windows RT....just like in Windows 8...seems pretty useful to me! no legacy apps, get a Pro...oh but you won't because it costs less that a MBA with the same battery life. Poor Camera...so you are one of those silly people I see holding up a tablet taking pictures? The camera is fine for Skype. Poor CPU choice? More like PROVEN CPU choice that MS isn't even taking full advantage of.

I'm surprised you didn't regurigtate the tired talking point of no apps, but I've only seen that brought up in the most idiotic of Surface reviews.

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts

Ahh, it took 30 posts before the "F" work came out. That's right, I'm talking about fanboy. The term you use for someone who doesn't agree with your opinion, right?

Take note of some of the posts here: "fanboys" are giving facts, not opinions based on an article they read. And for that matter, I don't see any fanboyism going on here. You can't just pop into a thread and say a product is "handicapped" without expecting some sort of backlash. And the backlash comes because the poster didn't have anything to back up his/her post. We're all intelligent here, list reasons why you think and feel the way you do and we can have an intelligent discussion. But coming into a thread acting like a 14 year will get you no where.
    Last edited by NickA; 12-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    v10type-r and inteller like this.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    don't feed the....

It does really seem lately that there have been a lot of negative responses in our threads. I feel like these ppl have nothing better to do than attempt to cause frustration and negativity in our communitiy.

My thoughts? I love my Surface RT. Absolutely LOVE IT. It does everything that I want it to do, I researched its capabilities before buying and made the decision based on my needs.

I sometimes wonder if Apple employs these ppl to post negative comments on their rivals threads.. what this really says to me is that Apple and its customers are scared, and to us Surface owners it makes us smile to see the big cat pee its pants. Maybe they have too much spare time because its hard to do much on that an iPad? Especially considering it can't be as productive as a Surface.

I apologize if this comes off as rude, but I'm just tired of seeing our forums bombed by these negative nancys
    Last edited by v10type-r; 12-12-2012 at 11:10 AM.

I think you guys are being far too defensive about your purchase, I think most people in this forum would like to see the Surface succeed. If someone is taking issue with it it's because we are being fairly realistic, most people here are not plants by Apple to undermine Microsoft's tablet success (really???). Personally I have a Lumina 920 and bought a new computer with Windows 8, and currently I'm unimpressed with a fair number of things so far (Metro is underwhelming, and Xbox music is a fail so far). As a Windows System Admin I currently can't see Win 8 rolled out to the Enterprise.

If Microsoft wants to compete needs to hit grand slams, right now Surface, Windows 8, and Windows 8 mobile need to work (pretty much flawlessly). Articles have been written about this, MS needs major wins if they want people to abandon Apple or Google. I have a fair share of my fingers in Apple's pie and moving to MS has had major pain points just so far, I also do not want to own a brick in 6 months if MS changes strategies. I'm looking at some Windows mobile 7 users, 7.8 is hardly what they expected for a device less than a year old.

If MS priced the Surface lower and had more apps for the RT product maybe I wouldn't be so skeptical.

I love my Surface, too. It's everything I expected to get in a tablet and then some more.
    v10type-r likes this.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgallipeau View Post
    I think you guys are being far too defensive about your purchase, I think most people in this forum would like to see the Surface succeed. If someone is taking issue with it it's because we are being fairly realistic, most people here are not plants by Apple to undermine Microsoft's tablet success (really???). Personally I have a Lumina 920 and bought a new computer with Windows 8, and currently I'm unimpressed with a fair number of things so far (Metro is underwhelming, and Xbox music is a fail so far). As a Windows System Admin I currently can't see Win 8 rolled out to the Enterprise.

If Microsoft wants to compete needs to hit grand slams, right now Surface, Windows 8, and Windows 8 mobile need to work (pretty much flawlessly). Articles have been written about this, MS needs major wins if they want people to abandon Apple or Google. I have a fair share of my fingers in Apple's pie and moving to MS has had major pain points just so far, I also do not want to own a brick in 6 months if MS changes strategies. I'm looking at some Windows mobile 7 users, 7.8 is hardly what they expected for a device less than a year old.

If MS priced the Surface lower and had more apps for the RT product maybe I wouldn't be so skeptical.

if people were posting factual statements I wouldn't have to be defensive, but I will not let people get away with lies and half truths.

lowering the price of the Surface would cause people to immediately think it isn't as good as the iPad, then they would go and buy the iPad. It is a premium device and needs to be priced as such. Want to buy a device based on price? Get an Acer, and you will get every bit of what you paid for (ie not much)
    v10type-r likes this.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    The disconnect between reviewers and users is at a crazy level with this device. I am writing this right now on my surface, and have been grabbing this device everywhere I go. The longer I have had it, the more I use it and the better it gets for me. If you go over to gdgt.com and look at the reviews of the surface it is funny. On the left side is the "professional" reviews and on the right side are peoples reviews who own the device. There is what a difference there.

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    Nope, that's a term I reserve for people who are so emotionally tied up in their toys that they can't think rationally about it anymore. The kind of people who get angry whenever someone post a contrary opinion. The kind of people who immediately turn to personal attacks at the slightest whiff of someone who isn't as irrational about it as they are.
    Then you are not describing me. I have multiple tables/phones on each OS. It's my job, I have to. So I look at these devices and ask how they can make me money, not which one I'm emotionally involved in. And speaking of that, you don't really see that level of emotional involvement with Windows; it's mostly the Android and iOS camps.

The only issues I have here are people that come in and make blanket statements like "the Surface RT sucks" and similar. And it's worse when they don't even OWN the device. Most of those types of comments come from members who troll the unread posts and jump into forums sections, make a comment and continue on. Other people may have fount out the devices just wasn't for them, and think because it didn't work for them it won't work for anyone.

There is clearly no one tablet or OS that is better than the other. Some can do things better, but it all come does to what your needs are. So again, just because you returned your Surface RT, doesn't mean people here can't think rational anymore. And calling people fanboys will get you flamed every time.
    v10type-r likes this.
    Ok let's stop with the trolling and keep the thread on topic. If you can't do that then don't post or get an infraction /ban.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    you can close the thread its purpose has been served.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12