Surface Performance Update

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Starting Wednesday (after installing the new patches) my Surface was becoming a bear to use -- lag, freezing, etc.

I bit the bullet this morning and reset the tablet to factory new. Some interesting observations:

1) The audio from my speakers is now clear as a bell. Previously, I never listened to music through the Surface because everything sounded like "8-bit" MP3s with crackling treble. I had no idea the Surface could sound clear as a bell.

2) I had the issue where pressing Volume Up or Down with the volume rocker would send the volume to 100 or 0, respectively. That is now fixed.

3) Load times have decreased.

If any of you are having these issues -- try a reset. I am thinking I may do one after every patch.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You did a full factory reset or just a refresh? Doesn't that get rid of all of the patches as well?. I'll consider doing this once to fix the volume rocker issue, the other things i haven't had too many issues with.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I do noticed my ie get slower after patch, not slower actually, it's just give fragmented images when it first loads a page. That may be caused by quicker loading as well..other than that I'm find
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else try a full factory reset with performance upgrade success? I'm willing to try a full factory reset, but more input would be nice before I bite the bullet :)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The reset will bring you back down to the initial firmware, and then you need to upgrade again (including your ~500MB Office update). Not sure why anyone would do that.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Just did a full reset and did the update. Everything works much better now. My Surface was laggy, had sound crackling issue, and a few others that didn't go away from just the updates. Reset + update did the trick though. Wish it wasn't the case because my apps and setting have to be re-done, but still works much better overall.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My surface just keeps getting better with the updates although the storage running out quicker..kinda regretted of only getting the 32g version
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

theteerex

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
When I was screwing around trying to get the SD card to get recognized as local storage, I encountered a similar problem. Did a reset and it's been blazing ever since...well blazing for a tablet anyway.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Just did a full reset and did the update. Everything works much better now. My Surface was laggy, had sound crackling issue, and a few others that didn't go away from just the updates. Reset + update did the trick though. Wish it wasn't the case because my apps and setting have to be re-done, but still works much better overall.

thanks for the reply! You too teerex. Just finished my last final, this is a good a time as any to do a full factory reset. I'll let you guys know what happens. Now to make a list of all of my apps, woot!

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to make a list of your apps - your Microsoft account stores that information. When you log back into the fresh system with your Live ID, go to the Store and swipe down - choose "My Apps" and you should see all the apps not installed on your Surface.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, but that list includes ANY app you've installed, free, trial, or paid. If you test a lot of apps, you'll see a ton of junk there, so I could see why a list might be valuable.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to make a list of your apps - your Microsoft account stores that information. When you log back into the fresh system with your Live ID, go to the Store and swipe down - choose "My Apps" and you should see all the apps not installed on your Surface.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, that's actually really cool

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb