Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    So I know that we will be getting VLC for windows RT and 8 at some point of time in the future but for now are there any other media players to play videos or is the built in video player robust enough to play all sorts of files?

Secondly for iPads and android tablets you can plug them into your computer and transfer files over. I understand that the surface is sort of built as a computer on its own but is there a way to transfer files from your regular computer to a surface?

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    You can get mobile.HD in the market for .mkv files. For transferring files I just use windows shares, if you have a usb cable I'm sure you can just plug that in as well, although I've never tried myself.
    I either transfer via the Micro SD card or via my network.

If you are looking to play files and you know you will have Internet access I would recommend setting up Plex. It will transcode the videos on the fly and then you don't need to transfer the files or use another media player.

I've only played mp4 files on my Surface. I just drop them in my SkyDrive folder.