best Epub reader?

Loxias

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
no, actually this thread is discussing what is the best epub app to use, hence the thread title 'best epub reader?'. Then to further defeat your line of thinking, look at the response below yours.

I wasn't talking about the thread, I quoted his post. Hence, what we (him and I) were discussing. When someone shows me how to get a kindle email without a device I will thank them and apologize for my ignorance. Until then my 'line of thinking' is sound. But there's still no reason to rudely respond to people on here, whether they are right or wrong.

Loxias

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
probably because "Kindle Personal Documents Service is currently not supported on other free Kindle reading applications."

So, it's supported by Android then? Because I have one of those registered as well. It shows 5GB of space available though...

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
probably because "Kindle Personal Documents Service is currently not supported on other free Kindle reading applications."

Amazon.com Help: Kindle Personal Documents Service

Yep that seems to be the case. I noticed I had this capability first when I started using the Kindle app on an iPod touch years ago. I also have it on an android tablet, and I got the $80 kindle device a year ago (nice to have one of those, fyi - they come in handy just often enough to justify the cost if you read a lot of library books... or classics)

Sorry for derailing the discussion!

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't talking about the thread, I quoted his post. Hence, what we (him and I) were discussing. When someone shows me how to get a kindle email without a device I will thank them and apologize for my ignorance. Until then my 'line of thinking' is sound. But there's still no reason to rudely respond to people on here, whether they are right or wrong.

Well it looks like each kindle email is linked to a specific device unfortunately.

Until some other apps mature, I'll stick with Overdrive for epubs or just convert them to pdf using calibre. I'm hoping that the Nook app will allow the opening of drm free epubs in a future update or that Freda or some other reader fixes their font rendering soon.

hingerson

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you! I need a good epub reader that works better! Basically I need ibooks but I will not be going that route I can't see for probably ever again so looks like I will just have to wait for a good epub reader or updates.
my thoughts exactly I didn't want to bring up iBooks as I didn't want people to think I was trolling but that's a great reader but I also wont be going that route... somebody help us lol

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't like this one as much but after the update, there has been a huge improvement!I really like the developer to because on the site for the app it shows what the next version he is working on and what's coming. It loads quick and just works well. I also asked him for some features and bug fixes and he responded to my email very quickly and said he could implement most of them. I like seeing this in a developer because it means he is dedicated to the app and it will get better soon. I think right now for my needs it is the best in the store.

Book Bazaar Reader

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The epub reader options on Windows Store are maturing quickly. Freda had a nice update to allow text sharpness to be controlled which was one of my main complaints with it. Fiction seems really good so far. Now it looks like I need to try Bazaar.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The epub reader options on Windows Store are maturing quickly. Freda had a nice update to allow text sharpness to be controlled which was one of my main complaints with it. Fiction seems really good so far. Now it looks like I need to try Bazaar.

Honestly, that update for Freda is why I gave up on it. Text rendering was so bad, and that setting still didn't really improve it very much. I mean, if the developer thought that was the solution, then it's not something I want to bother with. When you turn the text in Freda to the sharpest setting, the letters are all malformed. When you turn it to the smoothest setting, everything is blurry. None of the other apps works this way.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, that update for Freda is why I gave up on it. Text rendering was so bad, and that setting still didn't really improve it very much. I mean, if the developer thought that was the solution, then it's not something I want to bother with. When you turn the text in Freda to the sharpest setting, the letters are all malformed. When you turn it to the smoothest setting, everything is blurry. None of the other apps works this way.

yeah I can't put my finger on it but Freda has always felt like something is off with it. I do like Fiction but again things are annoying that still need fixes. When I click a link in it and go back to where I left off it changes the page around and never keeps it the same. I find for right now Baazar just runs the smoothest. Every link I hit it goes there almost instantly and when you turn a page it is very smooth and quick compared to a lot of apps.

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Text rendering was so bad, and that setting still didn't really improve it very much. I mean, if the developer thought that was the solution, then it's not something I want to bother with.
The root cause is, I suspect, that Freda is using a Direct2D SurfaceImageSource for rendering text; I did that, in the hope of being able to do more high-performance visual effects in due course. The various 'smoothness levels' that are now available in 'settings' correspond to the range of different anti-aliasing algorithms that Direct2D offers; there aren't any others.
But I agree that the appearance is unsatisfactory - for some fonts and colour schemes, there is no setting that gives really attractive text. I am still working on a resolution for this issue. One possible answer is to rely on image scaling, but that seems to create problems on some ARM devices. If I don't find any other solution, I will just fall back on using XAML controls for rendering (which I think is how the other ebook readers do it).

Loxias

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Bookviser on my phone and love it; would be nice to see what a Win8 port would look like. I downloaded the Overdrive MC app after using Freda and have had much better success with it. For instance, one of the technical books I'm reading the code snippets do not show in Freda but works fine with OMC. Now if only they would allow you to sync books with other mobile devices I'd be in heaven.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I use Bookviser on my phone and love it; would be nice to see what a Win8 port would look like. I downloaded the Overdrive MC app after using Freda and have had much better success with it. For instance, one of the technical books I'm reading the code snippets do not show in Freda but works fine with OMC. Now if only they would allow you to sync books with other mobile devices I'd be in heaven.

I actually overlooked overdrive because I thought it was only for libraries. It is a very good app and actually renders the magazines I read in epub much better than a lot of apps I have seen. But for me I study with them so its just not there yet. Once it has highlighting and notes it might get me to switch but I don't know.

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
the code snippets do not show in Freda but works fine with OMC..
Indeed - I spotted this issue a few days back; the handling of CODE and PRE tags got messed up when I ported the code across from Windows Phone 7. I have a fix ready to release (but it won't be released for about two weeks, because I need to avoid disruptions during a 'promotion' of the app by Microsoft).

BTW I have some partly working code for the 'sharing across multiple devices' use-case too. That (when finished) will be complicated, and I will be asking for help with beta testing. So I'd be glad to hear from any volunteer beta testers who are willing to use Freda on two or more Windows 8 devices and/or Windows Phones. Please email me at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk.

Loxias

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Indeed - I spotted this issue a few days back; the handling of CODE and PRE tags got messed up when I ported the code across from Windows Phone 7. I have a fix ready to release (but it won't be released for about two weeks, because I need to avoid disruptions during a 'promotion' of the app by Microsoft).

BTW I have some partly working code for the 'sharing across multiple devices' use-case too. That (when finished) will be complicated, and I will be asking for help with beta testing. So I'd be glad to hear from any volunteer beta testers who are willing to use Freda on two or more Windows 8 devices and/or Windows Phones. Please email me at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk.

Be happy to help if you'll remind me when you're ready. :D

I read mostly on the Surface but would like to be able to read on the phone when it isn't available. Still on WP 7.5 though. Plenty of Win8 desktops around though.

Dayum

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
How do you guys find using the Surface RT for ereading?
I'm in the market for a new tablet/ereader so I'm trying to figure out what to get.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
For windows 7.5, I use bookvisor. You can upload epub books to SkyDrive, then download the eBook from SkyDrive through the app and add it to your collection.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077