Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    So does anyone know the best one for surface? I wish Microsoft made an app. The one I tried from the app store was pretty pathetic.

Global Posts
    8,064 Global Posts
    I use Freda right now, but font rendering in it is pretty bad. It's just that the rest of the alternatives either don't load all of my books, or look or work even worse than Freda.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I use OverDrive Media Console. It has the best font rendering by far, but it doesn't have much in the way of options or features.

I also use Freda, for now I think is the best you will find.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    yeah Overdrive works nicely

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Actually, the lack of an epub reader is keeping me from purchasing the RT. Can anyone say if it would be possible to do either of the following:

1. View an epub in Microsoft Word (maybe with a plugin)
    2. Convert an epub (perhaps with Calibre) into a word-readable document (and hopefully preserve most of the formatting)

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Just echoing what everyone else here is saying, but Freda is currently the only one that I can use because it supports hyperlinks where others do not. I prefer Book HD and Caesura for their rendering and some other unique features and interface, but I have to have hyperlinks. Book HD is probably the best otherwise IMO.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by docfreed View Post
    Actually, the lack of an epub reader is keeping me from purchasing the RT. Can anyone say if it would be possible to do either of the following:

1. View an epub in Microsoft Word (maybe with a plugin)
    2. Convert an epub (perhaps with Calibre) into a word-readable document (and hopefully preserve most of the formatting)
    uh dude, we are listing apps that do epub. You have no excuse not to get a Surface now.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks all I'll try the ones mentioned and see what works best for me.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    wow after trying those apps they leave much to be desired... that's really disappointing. hope Microsoft steps up and gives us one.

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
    wow after trying those apps they leave much to be desired... that's really disappointing. hope Microsoft steps up and gives us one.
    I'm with you! I need a good epub reader that works better! Basically I need ibooks but I will not be going that route I can't see for probably ever again so looks like I will just have to wait for a good epub reader or updates.

You could go epub to mobi, then use the kindle app. I like the kindle app :)

FCI Technology Blog - Small Business Technology Blog, Vancouver Canada

Edit: you'd need to send the book to your kindle account using the email to kindle service...

Freda is the best and actively being developed so more functionality and compatibility will come fairy quickly. The dev even outlined a rough schedule of when certain features/items would be fixed/added over the next year.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Quote Originally Posted by johninsj View Post
    You could go epub to mobi, then use the kindle app. I like the kindle app :)

FCI Technology Blog - Small Business Technology Blog, Vancouver Canada

Edit: you'd need to send the book to your kindle account using the email to kindle service...
    This is what I want to do, unfortunately the Kindle is tied to my wife's account. May be worth it just to buy a cheap used Kindle to be able to do this.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    What?!? You don't need a kindle device to have a kindle account. Smh. Where do you people get your tech advice?

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    What?!? You don't need a kindle device to have a kindle account. Smh. Where do you people get your tech advice?
    Am I the only one that reads almost all your comments as rude?

No, you don't need a kindle device to have a kindle account. But you need a kindle device to get a send to kindle email account which is what we're discussing. Maybe you should not make comments if you don't know what you're talking about? SMH

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post

No, you don't need a kindle device to have a kindle account. But you need a kindle device to get a send to kindle email account which is what we're discussing. Maybe you should not make comments if you don't know what you're talking about? SMH
    I have a send to kindle email and I've never bought a kindle device, I've only dl'd the app before on an android device.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts

no, actually this thread is discussing what is the best epub app to use, hence the thread title 'best epub reader?'. Then to further defeat your line of thinking, look at the response below yours.

Quote Originally Posted by HooDooMagic View Post
    I have a send to kindle email and I've never bought a kindle device, I've only dl'd the app before on an android device.
    Consider yourself lucky then. No where on my account does it list the kindle email and using the Send to app on the PC asks me to register a device. Everything I've read in researching this since I got my WP device has shown I would be elated to be wrong about this so if you can tell me how to find and or get one I'll by you a beer.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    probably because "Kindle Personal Documents Service is currently not supported on other free Kindle reading applications."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...20#pdocarchive

no, actually this thread is discussing what is the best epub app to use, hence the thread title 'best epub reader?'. Then to further defeat your line of thinking, look at the response below yours.
    I wasn't talking about the thread, I quoted his post. Hence, what we (him and I) were discussing. When someone shows me how to get a kindle email without a device I will thank them and apologize for my ignorance. Until then my 'line of thinking' is sound. But there's still no reason to rudely respond to people on here, whether they are right or wrong.
    Thanked by:

probably because "Kindle Personal Documents Service is currently not supported on other free Kindle reading applications."
    So, it's supported by Android then? Because I have one of those registered as well. It shows 5GB of space available though...

Amazon.com Help: Kindle Personal Documents Service
    Yep that seems to be the case. I noticed I had this capability first when I started using the Kindle app on an iPod touch years ago. I also have it on an android tablet, and I got the $80 kindle device a year ago (nice to have one of those, fyi - they come in handy just often enough to justify the cost if you read a lot of library books... or classics)

Sorry for derailing the discussion!

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I wasn't talking about the thread, I quoted his post. Hence, what we (him and I) were discussing. When someone shows me how to get a kindle email without a device I will thank them and apologize for my ignorance. Until then my 'line of thinking' is sound. But there's still no reason to rudely respond to people on here, whether they are right or wrong.
    Well it looks like each kindle email is linked to a specific device unfortunately.

Until some other apps mature, I'll stick with Overdrive for epubs or just convert them to pdf using calibre. I'm hoping that the Nook app will allow the opening of drm free epubs in a future update or that Freda or some other reader fixes their font rendering soon.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    I'm with you! I need a good epub reader that works better! Basically I need ibooks but I will not be going that route I can't see for probably ever again so looks like I will just have to wait for a good epub reader or updates.
    my thoughts exactly I didn't want to bring up iBooks as I didn't want people to think I was trolling but that's a great reader but I also wont be going that route... somebody help us lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast