Just bought a Surface..few questions

Beyond Fire

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone a couple days ago I bought a 32gb surface tablet, and so far it's pretty awesome. It's my first win 8 device but I'm already getting the hang of things. That being said I do have a couple questions regarding this tablet.

Is there a cable to directly connect it to a computer? I'd imagine it would have to be a USB to USB but I can't seem to find one. If not what is the best way to transfer files to and from the computer? I know I can use an external drive but that just seems cumbersome having to go back and forth between the computer and tablet.

When I go to update apps, is there a way to see a change log? Or do I need to just check the app page for said app? That would also be quite annoying having to navigate to each app separately just to see the change log.

And my last question has to do with Mobile.HD application. I purchased the app with the most recent update, and for some reason it will have no problems playing MKV files for certain shows but will not play MKV files of others. Can't seem to figure out the issue with that. Is there another form of MKV that it's not compatible with? I don't even know how to tell what kind of audio file my files use.

Thanks in advance.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone a couple days ago I bought a 32gb surface tablet, and so far it's pretty awesome. It's my first win 8 device but I'm already getting the hang of things. That being said I do have a couple questions regarding this tablet.

Is there a cable to directly connect it to a computer? I'd imagine it would have to be a USB to USB but I can't seem to find one. If not what is the best way to transfer files to and from the computer? I know I can use an external drive but that just seems cumbersome having to go back and forth between the computer and tablet.

When I go to update apps, is there a way to see a change log? Or do I need to just check the app page for said app? That would also be quite annoying having to navigate to each app separately just to see the change log.

And my last question has to do with Mobile.HD application. I purchased the app with the most recent update, and for some reason it will have no problems playing MKV files for certain shows but will not play MKV files of others. Can't seem to figure out the issue with that. Is there another form of MKV that it's not compatible with? I don't even know how to tell what kind of audio file my files use.

Thanks in advance.

I've been using a thumb drive to transfer photos from the desktop to my Surface.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Go to control panel on your home computer and search home groups. I haven't set this up because IT policy on my work computer. So if it doesn't work, I apologize. You should be able to set up a "homegroup" and share just about any files between Surface and whatever is on the network. You can't setup homegroup on Surface, but you can join a home group. Its file sharing at it's most complex. It can be a pain to set up.

It may not be your cup of tea, but I use Skydrive. I have my entire work computer, Surface, and Lumia 920 backed up to Skydrive. It can be a pain to get setup and going, but when you do it's awesome. Pics and videos auto upload from phone. You can download from anywhere to any device. Upload from computer and download to Surface. I was skeptical at first but now that I've done it I can't live without it. All my music is there as well. You can't stream it, but you can download it. And depending on your internet connection it is just as fast as thumb drive or home sharing.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Homegroup man..only thing you ever need to do is type in the pin and bang! You can even see the movies stored in your desktop without moving it to your surface..
Sent from Lumia 920

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
In regards to app change log when there is an update at the bottom there is a button beside the install button, " view details" that will take you directly to the change log. Note that this doesn't work if two or more apps are selected at a time. just unlselect all but one and the button comes up and you can click that.

Last edited:

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. First create a pin and use the pin on other devices. Unfortunately, you cannot share your content on your surface.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Skydrive desktop app installed on my traditional PC. I have a file structure set up that has all my files and music that I want to have access to anywhere. So if I want to copy something to my Surface, I just grab it through Skydrive.

I don't know about the change log... I think its up to the developer to list it on the app page. Maybe there's an app that can pull that info together? Lol... Or someone can make such an app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3