things that can/should be improved on

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
  1. Printer installation. I have a network printer installed on my router. Surface is not able to detect it. I have to traverse deep into control pannel to install it. Package it into a single place.
  2. List all active apps -- swip from the left edge and pull back is weird. It should be simpler than that.
  3. APP settings --- swip from the bottom should be removed. When the onscreen keyboard is showing, swipe from the bottom has some strange behaviors.
  4. Closing active app. Swipe from the top to the botton requires too big a motion. If I have 32" screen, that is a lot of effort.
  5. Stock apps --- make them killer apps. Consider them part of your OS and they are best commercials.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
  1. Printer installation. I have a network printer installed on my router. Surface is not able to detect it. I have to traverse deep into control pannel to install it. Package it into a single place. I have had great success so far with printers, detected all of them. Make sure printer is on the RT supported hardware list
  2. List all active apps -- swip from the left edge and pull back is weird. It should be simpler than that.It still is Windows so hit the Win-key + tab or alt-tab to go through your open apps
  3. APP settings --- swip from the bottom should be removed. When the onscreen keyboard is showing, swipe from the bottom has some strange behaviors.it works, but i can see point here
  4. Closing active app. Swipe from the top to the botton requires too big a motion. If I have 32" screen, that is a lot of effort.this is the most ridiculous thing I have read on this board and that is saying something. if it is that hard when you have your active apps open on right click and choose close.
swipe has an e

1. Stock apps --- make them killer apps. Consider them part of your OS and they are best commercials.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think this should be titled your wish list, or things you think should be improved. Given you mention a 32 inch screen, I would also think this is your Windows 8 wish list, not Surface RT. Last I checked the Surface tablet comes in one size only. Personally, I have had no problem installing any printer either at my home or office in either Surface RT or Windows 8. If you are talking about a Windows 8 machine, there is a simple solution to installing any printer. Double click on the installer program as in any other x86 version of Windows. The rest of the list are subjective likes and dislikes. With that said, you can be assured that the gesture based interface is not going anywhere. Tiles aside, it is one thing that is an immediate differentiator and I have yet to encounter a person who hasn't commented on how much easier it is when demonstrated. With respect to wanting a list of running programs, you can always pin task manager to the start screen and have one tap access to a far more robust task manager than on anything other platform (go to all apps and then select task manger and pin). Of course if you really want a list, you can always buy an Android tablet. Granted, you will also find that closing a program off the Android program list sometimes only removes the name (dig a little deeper into the archaic menu system and it is not uncommon to find the program still in memory) but to each their own. Again though since you mention 32 in screens, this would appear to be about Windows 8 anyway. Good luck finding any other fully touch enabled OS that supports screens of that size, although scaling up Android or IOS to 32 inches would probably be rather amusing (hand sized icons, grossly distorted app displays, insanely big black bars, etc.).

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I found it annoying on my surface

i find it perfect and intuitive. What I have noticed that if you put your surface in a case that covers up the edges of the display, your ability to perform the necessary gestures is severely limited. A colleague got one for Christmas and promptly put it in a case. this diminished the user experience greatly.

dmandWP

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
List all active apps -- swip from the left edge and pull back is weird. It should be simpler than that.

It really is different strokes for different folks because this is one of my favourite features. A simple little move with my left thumb and I see my active app list, and it takes less than a quarter of a second to 'bring up the list. I am not sure what could be simpler than that (well I suppose changing the settings so all you need is a single swipe from the left would be easier, but I Iike the standard 'switch to last app' for a single swipe). And once the list is up it is a simple task to use my thumb to switch to a different app in the list. In quick succession I just switched to my email app, and then my music app, and then back to writing this and the round trip took less than a couple of seconds, and was all done with just my left thumb! For me this is an absolute killer feature.

danieljhb

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Swipe from right, go to settings, change pc settings, go to general (from list on the right side), Under "App switching" turn OFF "When I swipe in from the left edge, switch directly to my most recent app".

Bam!

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Swipe from right, go to settings, change pc settings, go to general (from list on the right side), Under "App switching" turn OFF "When I swipe in from the left edge, switch directly to my most recent app".

Bam!

didn't even look at this thanks for the tip. I have to look around more cause I usually know everything about my device lol.

I find closing apps a little annoying on larger screens such as TV's but you get used to it quickly. printers are a non issue to me as it is far more frustrating to try setting up one on an iPad. Every printer I have tried has connected with Surface

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99