Surface RT storage -- unexplained loss

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Using the file explorer I see available space 10.1GB, used 14.8. Drill down further

program files: 1GB
users : 2GB
windows : 8GB

other folders are of small sizes in MBs.

where Did the rest go?

I should have 13GB remaining.

did a disk clean up
recycle bin is empty

Did a reset two weeks ago. Need to do another reset right after as advised by MS support. Surface could not do it because of limited disk space. Had to call support.

Any advice?

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to note which is kind of odd, is that all of the built-in apps have been updated. However Microsoft doesn't remove the old versions of in the windows apps folder. So if you make a new account on your tablet, it will install the factory default versions of the apps and not the updated ones. The way they store stuff on the surface is a bit quirky, I must admit. Needs to be updated for sure.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to note which is kind of odd, is that all of the built-in apps have been updated. However Microsoft doesn't remove the old versions of in the windows apps folder. So if you make a new account on your tablet, it will install the factory default versions of the apps and not the updated ones. The way they store stuff on the surface is a bit quirky, I must admit. Needs to be updated for sure.

Just refreshed my surface, remaining space is 14GB now. Is anyone from MS looking for these feedbacks?

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
added another user without doing anything else -- available space reduced by 1.7GB. I guess MS should have started with 64GB model.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
nope, I sure its behaving exactly as designed, tested, and signed off on.

I have a touch keyboard. The keyboard is not usable coming out of sleep. Is that by design?
After calling Microsoft, I was advised to reset the surface. I did. The problem is not solved. I was asked to reset it again. Surface cannot reset, complaining not enough space. Is that by design? Or should I ask "Is it behaving as designed?"
If all bugs are by design, I have to say that the design is really bad. I hope that you are not a member of surface team. Otherwise, there is no hope.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a touch keyboard. The keyboard is not usable coming out of sleep. Is that by design?
After calling Microsoft, I was advised to reset the surface. I did. The problem is not solved. I was asked to reset it again. Surface cannot reset, complaining not enough space. Is that by design? Or should I ask "Is it behaving as designed?"
If all bugs are by design, I have to say that the design is really bad. I hope that you are not a member of surface team. Otherwise, there is no hope.

Did you follow the instructions to delete the windows.old directory after you refreshed?

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you follow the instructions to delete the windows.old directory after you refreshed?

I know that you asked that question with good intent. However, I am sad being asked that question. It should not be any part of the design that an average user should delete a system folder if that folder serves no practical purpose.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

I did follow instructions from Microsoft support. The keyboard problem is solved after firmware update. I have to replace my keyboard for randomly muting issues. Experience with MS support is good.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I know that you asked that question with good intent. However, I am sad being asked that question. It should not be any part of the design that an average user should delete a system folder if that folder serves no practical purpose.

It's there to let you recover any files you may have forgotten to backup. Windows.old gets created whenever you refresh or upgrade the desktop version as well.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It keeps it in c:\Windows\softwareDistribution\downloads - I routinely purge this directory -

Not a great idea. Windows Update cleans this up every 30 days on its own. Cleaning up this cache preemtively both loses your logs and update installation history (no forensics for troubleshooting or seeing what you've installed when) - as well as clears out updates that have downloaded but not yet installed requiring your machine to re-download them again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3