Surface touch / type keyboard issues?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So I just got a Surface RT (LOVE IT!) I didn't get the one with the touch keyboard because I thought I would like the type keyboard more.

Well all they had were touch so I got the Surface tablet without a keyboard and bought a touch keyboard. It took some getting used to but it was OK. However every other time I rebooted or swung the keyboard to the backside and back again it wasn't recognized. I would check device manager and it wasn't there. I had to unplug the keyboard and then back in for it to show up. Sometimes I had to do that 3 or 4 times before it would show up.

So I returned the touch keyboard because they got in the type keyboard and yes, I like the type MUCH more.... However the problem is still there. If i swing the keyboard to the back or after a restart the keyboard isn't recognized. I REALLY don't want to return this Surface because everything is flawless so far. Obviously the keyboard connector is OK because I am typing this post with it. I am thinking of doing a soft reset of my surface (The one that saves all media but restores the OS) but I am just curious if anybody else has this issue or if there is some kind of easy way I can get the surface to recognize the keyboard if it isn't.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It is a software issue. Have you checked windows update. I had the same issue and software updates solved the issue.

I did check windows update and installed 17 updates. I didnt check again. I just restored it to factory defaults so ill do the updates again and check again. Thanks for the info!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So i did a system refresh (keeps apps and media but reinstalls the OS) and that didnt work. So I did a full reset to factory defaults and so far so good, keyboard is working as expected and is recognized every time i flip it around :)

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody have any issues with the mouse on the Type Pad jumping all over the place when you place your finger on the touch pad?

matt nachtrab

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I am having issues with my type keyboard as well. Some of the keys stop working randomly. Earlier in the week, the numbers wouldn't work. Now the A will not work. I also have to re-seat the keyboard a lot to get it to detect. Curious if anyone has had this happened and how they resolved. Not sure if the contacts need cleaned every once and a while. I'll update the thread as I troubleshoot and try to resolve.

matt nachtrab

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So this morning I turn on my surface pro to wake it up. When I start using it, the 1,2,3,4,5,6 keys will not work. I unplug the keyboard and plug it back in... still doesn't work. Put it back to sleep with the power button, wake it up, same keys do not work. When I used the soft power on the screen and hit sleep, then woke it up, all the keys began to work. If this works every time, at least I can use my keyboard.

I have not been able to do windows updates as suggested earlier in the thread because my surface pro is supported by internal IT and updates are not accessible to me.

-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs