Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree11Likes
  1. MSNY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
       #1  
    And dissing the Surface RT and Asus products and such..sites like cnet.com, zdnet.com, pcworld.com and more. Does Apple fund these sites in return of good apple reviews or are they just that in love with Apple?
  2. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #2  
    im going with these tech writers are mostly fanboy/fangirls that have unnecessary year 2000 hatred towards anything microsoft, who from a different perspective is writing these articles just to get page clicks since a lot of people now a days are trained to think hating on microsoft is a cool thing to do

    being a bit unfair with that statement, but it seems to work on a lot of CNet writers quiet well
  3. enjoylife949's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    #3  
    With all the cash that Apple has saved up I would be willing to bet that they fund popular review sites in some way. Sometimes the bias is so blatant that I cannot think of another explanation.
  4. jaimeastin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    362 Posts
    Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    #4  
    They are not getting paid a dime from apple? Apple is too arrogant and uptight to pay... Apple has them where they want them though...

    Apple is the juggernaut... People are (1) biased and feel like they are Ina special apple club and (2) afraid to say anything negative toward apple. Shoot, that might be a directive from the top.

    Apple has so much mindshare and sheep out there that the media is afraid that if they say anything negative about apple, people will turn away.

    Those same type of people are the journalist too. They almost feel like they are in the special apple club and every win for apple is a win for them and their pocket...

    Apple has their mind share to the point they can't even do a job... Just be factual, yet they be personal aspects to the table and will not let them go. Every review out there are so blatantly biased and you see that the reviewer put no heart in it as all the things listed would not be if they had used it. They are all copy cat review of other negative publications... People see that with so many similar reviews, it must be true... No, it is not. They just have love for apple and a vendetta against Microsoft...

    I am sick of the media... All realms not just tech. The media is for the dumb and ignorant now a days... they use buzz and look to draw the sheep in by the number... Look around. It is all a numbers game. Ethics and quality is not the priority, it is the numbers. Like with politics, if you are smart enough to research, try, and then form your own opinion then the media is not for you. They are nt for us. That is why we(I) see right through this muddy mess.
    Thanked by:
    Shadai 
  5. MSNY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
       #5  
    I totally agree with you jaime, i think having an Apple product now days means that you must know about technology and have alot of money,thats why you have that apple product..yet its the opposite. And yes the reviews are all the same, how can you review a product if you havent spent a day with?
  6. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #6  
    Haters...

    Apple makes the best products in each class - notebooks, smartphones, tablets, mp3 players... You have to be absolutely ignorant to not recognize that. Want to prove me wrong? First look at the real world, then come back.
  7. BIGPADDY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    #7  
    It depends on the website, writer and how they decide to put down and I don't think most are bias toward apple it may be within the testing parts that it excel in certain places.

    Apple has been in the industry bit longer as well so there software is more developed (still with some bugs nothing perfect) but give it sometime and I bet all the reviewers will be given Microsoft score of 4.5 to 5 stars or 9 to 10.

    This will take a while just to iron the bugs out, add new features and the marketplace will properly catch up with Android and iOS.
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

    SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
  8. shn'g's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPADDY View Post
    It depends on the website, writer and how they decide to put down and I don't think most are bias toward apple it may be within the testing parts that it excel in certain places.

    Apple has been in the industry bit longer as well so there software is more developed (still with some bugs nothing perfect) but give it sometime and I bet all the reviewers will be given Microsoft score of 4.5 to 5 stars or 9 to 10.

    This will take a while just to iron the bugs out, add new features and the marketplace will properly catch up with Android and iOS.

    yeah this is part of what I was going to say. Apple's products to be fair are vey good and even the though the OS is very very simple it is very polished and they were the first ones to really popularize apps and make them easy for developers to look very good. I think that companies just have too much invested in Apple right now to just call it quits and this transfers over to the tech sites. Many huge businesses have built quality apps for the app store because so many people are on these devices, this is like android to. So they aren't just going to give the newbie a try until they see prove they can make some money, and thus they won't push Microsoft products until they see this happen.

    this is just my take on it though. to me its so over done and everything is about apples ecosystem and not about the product at all. Every review I have seen on the surface or any other product for that matter gets lower ratings just because it doesn't have enough apps! It's absolute crap but that's what we have to live with for now until we start seeing more acceptance and people start using Surface and other windows 8 devices and realize that these products do 10X what apples can.

    But I have noticed signs of changes here in Canada anyways which is nice. for instance global has advertised a lot on tv about their windows 8 app, where as before all you would constantly here was get it on your iphone or ipad in the app store.

    and this article was a nice surprise as I though it was fair. the author seems to have warmed up to Surface over time. I know why to because its THE ONLY freakn' tablet that you can get some stuff actually accomplished!! The Best Tablets for Canadians (January 2013 edition) | MobileSyrup.com
  9. MSNY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    Haters...

    Apple makes the best products in each class - notebooks, smartphones, tablets, mp3 players... You have to be absolutely ignorant to not recognize that. Want to prove me wrong? First look at the real world, then come back.
    Most of the real world uses MS, as in windows and Office. And wow why am i not surprised that you said 'Haters'?Nobody here said anything negative about Apple. See this is what jaime was tslking about, dare anyone speak about Apple's place in the market and people start protecting it.
  10. MSNY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacable View Post
    yeah this is part of what I was going to say. Apple's products to be fair are vey good and even the though the OS is very very simple it is very polished and they were the first ones to really popularize apps and make them easy for developers to look very good. I think that companies just have too much invested in Apple right now to just call it quits and this transfers over to the tech sites. Many huge businesses have built quality apps for the app store because so many people are on these devices, this is like android to. So they aren't just going to give the newbie a try until they see prove they can make some money, and thus they won't push Microsoft products until they see this happen.

    this is just my take on it though. to me its so over done and everything is about apples ecosystem and not about the product at all. Every review I have seen on the surface or any other product for that matter gets lower ratings just because it doesn't have enough apps! It's absolute crap but that's what we have to live with for now until we start seeing more acceptance and people start using Surface and other windows 8 devices and realize that these products do 10X what apples can.

    But I have noticed signs of changes here in Canada anyways which is nice. for instance global has advertised a lot on tv about their windows 8 app, where as before all you would constantly here was get it on your iphone or ipad in the app store.

    and this article was a nice surprise as I though it was fair. the author seems to have warmed up to Surface over time. I know why to because its THE ONLY freakn' tablet that you can get some stuff actually accomplished!! The Best Tablets for Canadians (January 2013 edition) | MobileSyrup.com
    Yes i am a college student and i think the Surface comes in great help to me and col.students in genersl because it can replace a laptop for our needs. But for employees working for a bigcorp., they probablyneed a full laptop and/or computer.
  11. #11  
    and yet..in each product category you list (not sure about MP3 players) Apple has nowhere near the worldwide marketshare of its major competitors. Apple has been a company that markets exceptionally well. It sells premium priced products and makes lots of money. Apple reinvents the MP3 player and then shifts investors focus to the Iphone. They start a new way to sell software, they call it an "app" and everyone is amazed and pay thru the nose for it. The yet to be seen apple TV will be hailed as a revolution. Yet superior and less expensive (a guess) products already exist (Xbox). The problem for Apple is they are constantly killing the product they just created. At some point folks will realize Apple is a consumer electronics company that is dependent on 1-3 products. They will be so big that innovation will sublimated to meet the needs of manufacturing and they will decline or be split up. I would change my opinion if Apple was making significant inroads with the Chinese government as Microsoft has with the Xbox and WP. Sorry for the off topic rant. Yes bias does exist, watch
    CNBC and count the positive comments Apple receives vs any other company.


    Deepest Peace.....
    Last edited by alaskanjackson; 01-06-2013 at 12:53 AM.
  12. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNY View Post
    Yes i am a college student and i think the Surface comes in great help to me and col.students in genersl because it can replace a laptop for our needs. But for employees working for a bigcorp., they probablyneed a full laptop and/or computer.
    just to answer the big corp part, I work for a major corporation that makes a lot of things the tiny hint I can give is that 80% Canadian homes have our thermostat (I prefer not saying which company it is, but I think that is a big enough hint)

    me and our regional network manager were just talking about this a couple days ago regarding Win8 testing, possible roll out date and the need for a tablet. ALOT of our people from the business side are requesting tablets that they can take around and at the moment the iPad has been made an exception to work on our corporate network, but they still have to lug their laptops around to use our corporate software. now the surface popped out, we can actually stop giving those exceptions and have a tablet that works like a laptop, adheres to our corporate security policies, works with all our corporate software (of course still need to verify with Win8's testing) and best of all, eliminates the need to get two things for our guys and maintain both of them

    I think the corporate world will be changing in a very big way after two or three years (since most of the corporate take years to test out an OS...)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNY View Post
    And dissing the Surface RT and Asus products and such..sites like cnet.com, zdnet.com, pcworld.com and more. Does Apple fund these sites in return of good apple reviews or are they just that in love with Apple?
    I don't get it either .. You would think that tech bloggers would hate apple because it is so limited and not innovative at all .. When the original iPhone came out they called it revolutionary but I had a windows mobile PC years before the iPhone and before that I had a palm pilot that could link to my home phone and my PC .. Apple has done nothing innovative and yet they get all the credit .. Same goes for tablets too .. There have been windows tablets for years and years before the iPad .. They were just not really popular with the public but they were very popular and still are with enterprises .. So for all of you rooting for apple and their "patents" just remember that google not SAMSUNG may have copied the iPhone .. But apple copied Microsoft windows mobile
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNY View Post
    Most of the real world uses MS, as in windows and Office. And wow why am i not surprised that you said 'Haters'?Nobody here said anything negative about Apple. See this is what jaime was tslking about, dare anyone speak about Apple's place in the market and people start protecting it.
    I completely agree .. Let me ask the first person one thing ... Why do you like apple products so much ? .. Have you ever wondered why they release the same phone every year and yet you still buy it .. Have you ever wondered why you can't play the songs and videos you bought through iTunes on anything else without hacking the matrix somehow .. Do you really own that music or video .. Or have you been paying for the right to borrow it .. So your paying apple to let you borrow the music or videos .. So therefore your paying for apples right to own that intellectual property .. Hmmm .. Paying for apples right to own intellectual property so they can rent it to you and then buy the same phone over and over again being locked into an ecosystem .. For what ? .. I feel sorry for all apple users .. You're just another dollar in the minds of the big apple
    Thanked by:
  15. adesonic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #15  
    With tech stuff, there appears to be a healthy dose of "Emperors new clothes syndrome". Whatever apple, Samsung or google do is lauded by the tech press, anything that Microsoft does is panned. IMHO this is because a lot of thirty something tech journalists want to be "down with the kids" and demonstrate that despite the looming spectre of middle age, they can still be fashionable!
  16. MSNY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
       #16  
    And i'm pretty sure that even the reveiwers know about how limited Apple services are, for example, iTunes, no flash, etc.
  17. Buren06's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    Haters...

    Apple makes the best products in each class - notebooks, smartphones, tablets, mp3 players... You have to be absolutely ignorant to not recognize that. Want to prove me wrong? First look at the real world, then come back.

    That's a very ignorant stance to take from a discussion standpoint.

    I don't think it's conscious bias so much as it is putting too much importance in the wrong things. Most of the poorest reviews I've seen are just a case of lauding all Apple bulletpoints as revolutionary, and downplaying the features of the competition. Sure, things like app selection and the ability to take a panoramic photo out of the box are great features, but many reviewers fail to express how that product performs in everyday life. They take the spec sheet for each and compare them in a video or an article, something a review shouldn't be.
  18. JW888's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #18  
    Apple is good product, but definitely not the best.........
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    Haters...

    Apple makes the best products in each class - notebooks, smartphones, tablets, mp3 players... You have to be absolutely ignorant to not recognize that. Want to prove me wrong? First look at the real world, then come back.
  19. JW888's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #19  
    Iphone is not smart enough.........compare to Nokia's new technology on their SMART phone..........
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    Haters...

    Apple makes the best products in each class - notebooks, smartphones, tablets, mp3 players... You have to be absolutely ignorant to not recognize that. Want to prove me wrong? First look at the real world, then come back.
  20. jaimeastin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    362 Posts
    Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    #20  
    For whatever reason, I can't quote due to a tapatalk error...

    I personal own a mac mini(sold one ), had a MacBook, have a few iPhones, have an iPod, sold my ipad2 when I got my surface...of course I have had android devices, various Linux flavors, and yes Microsoft. I have 2desktops running now, 2 laptops, A surface, windows phone8,7, and I still have a mobile 6 laying around... All devices are current, as can be.

    I am 27 years old, been working in the it industry for little over 6 years... Jr. Programmer and Jr. Sys. Admin.

    To the guy screaming haters... I did not even give an evaluation on apples products, but I sure can. Do I personally chose to use them day to day??? No. Can I and do I? Yes. I have pros and cons for each brand I use. I have my reasons other than development that I use them as well. I am not just some consumer who has chosen a side. I am not getting paid by any of them, but I get paid by knowing as much as I can to produce results.

    What we really need are classes of reviewers. Most reviewers out there are just average people and average consumers. They would never see the value in the surface as they only consume media and games. If they actually used one for work other than emails, it would blow them away like it has my colleagues.

    Like the topic on hand, someone says something bad about apple, people screen haters and trolls. You don't consider what was stated or their unknown background. I hope you were being sarcastic...

    Yes apple has a fee good products and ideas... So does google... Microsoft to me has the same if not better in a lot those areas. I will not limit myself to just one. Screw the club sheep mentality.

    Personal opinion is Microsoft might be the only one playing fair now.... It just seems to be the case that when a company is at the bottom, they are for the people, but when they move to the point that they have the peoples mind, they don't care anymore... They eventually lose them... Look at apple, Sony, google, Microsoft, etc...
  21. MSNY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
       #21  
    Almost every reviewer says the same thing-APPLE HAS MORE APPS! What they dont realize is that alot of them are useless. I think we all can agree that Apple is mostly for entertainment purposes, which it delivers fairly good, but i think the Surface Rt was made for productive purposes, which it delivers effectively.
  22. JHBThree's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNY View Post
    Almost every reviewer says the same thing-APPLE HAS MORE APPS! What they dont realize is that alot of them are useless. I think we all can agree that Apple is mostly for entertainment purposes, which it delivers fairly good, but i think the Surface Rt was made for productive purposes, which it delivers effectively.
    They don't just say apple has more apps, they say apple has more QUALITY apps that consumers actually WANT.

    As for entertainment: the iPad is actually a fairly good productivity tool, especially when coupled with iCloud and Dropbox. Can it do everything that office can? No. But it doesn't have to.
  23. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNY View Post
    but i think the Surface Rt was made for productive purposes, which it delivers effectively.
    Remind me again how going into a legacy desktop mode just to run MS Office 'productive'? It's the exact opposite of productive. It's a hack job. Surface has promise but its severely bogged down by some asinine decisions by MS (like Office in desktop mode). When they will be ironed out you'll see positive reviews about Surface too.
  24. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Remind me again how going into a legacy desktop mode just to run MS Office 'productive'? It's the exact opposite of productive. It's a hack job. Surface has promise but its severely bogged down by some asinine decisions by MS (like Office in desktop mode). When they will be ironed out you'll see positive reviews about Surface too.
    Putting it like that its not productive at all. But like you say its a hack job. MS Office is an x86 program that shouldnt be able to run on an RT. Its not full office either but with the functionality it has i will take the slight delay in switching to desktop mode before excel or word opens. Add the fact that its free with the surface and all output is compatible with any other version of office and you cant really grumble about productivity.
  25. FinsUpDNC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #25  
    It comes down to Money, and not that Apple is paying them. Apple pays them in other ways. Their product and announcement cycle has given hundreds of new "news sites" a life on the internet. These writers can make a years of worth ad revenue on Apple launch days alone. Even though Android is now the number 1 seller of phones, you would not know that by the coverage of each iPhone that is announced. Why, because every week a new android device is announced and now we are going to see the same with Windows Phone.

    On the surface itself, I wrote something up about this that you can find here.
    The Perfect Starbucks PC Surface Geeks Surface Geeks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why are tech-blogs still so skeptical and biased?
    By rockstarzzz in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
  2. Poll - Are tech reviewers Prima Donnas?
    By Bkr11 in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM
  3. Why are they highlighting the Radar to hype Mango?
    By incendy in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
  4. Mango: why are some tiles red?
    By littleroot in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
  5. Why are UK networks keeping quiet about mango??
    By worbyc in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions