Surface rt or ???????

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
theverge.com just released their review of the HP Envy x2. Its CloverTrail. They didn't seem too impressed with legacy app performance on Clover Trail. however, I don't think anybody using an Atom hybrid expects to run photoshop/Steam on it. lol

Unfortunately, I think the opposite is true. Far too many people seem to think that legacy support will mean they can run Photoshop and other bloated applications. In reality some of those applications realistically need an I5 and more RAM, and will suck the limited storage dry. The irony being none of those applications are even touch optimized.

My personal recommendation to people who want to run full blown Windows applications remains to not waste time on any tablets and instead look at options like Lenovo's hybrids. For all the talk of Surface RT not running legacy apps, which mostly comes from the same crowd who won't touch the subject iPad's of not supporting anything legacy, the real joke is none of those legacy x86 apps are even meant for a touch interface in the first place. All tablets, including any Windows 8 options, are based upon a compromised form factor leading to a different future. Very few of the supposedly beloved x86 apps are designed for a tablet and that is not going to change just because you load them on one. If you want a tablet buy one but accept it is a tablet; if you want a laptop buy one and accept it is a laptop; if you want the functionality of both, buy a hybrid laptop.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
After to positive reviews of the surface pro - that's what I'm getting. Mostly emails and MS office work some photo manipulation. PRO should be perfect - always on the go and currently use a 6 year old desktop replacement laptop from Dell. Too heavy and not really portable.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am excited to hear more about Vizio's tablet PC that they announced at CES. I want to know the pricing before I determine to get the surface or it.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I've decided that I'm going to wait it out for the Surface Pro to be released and then see how the reviews and performance is before making my final decision. I know it's going to be a little pricey but if it will perform the way I'm hopping that it will, I'm okay with that.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
For me the design and capabilities of the RT are ideal for 90 percent of my professional computing needs, and 100 of my personal ones. I still use a Toshiba Portege, but the RT64 is now my primary portable. I'll flirt with the Pro, but I expect to stay with the RT because my priorities for any portable device are size, weight, and battery life. Again, the Design of the RT has to be compelling: I now could not do without the built-in kickstand, keyboard, and 64GB-expandability in a solid 1.5 lb package. FWIW, the only other computing tablet I considered to replace the ipad was the Acer w510. Design won out over the full W8. I figure I'll have full W8 on my next desktop. Good luck with your choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro