Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I don't have too much really to say but I just warn those of you who are purchasing their Surface RT as a laptop replacement that it won't. I got mine thinking this and I was luckily still in my return policy time. I exchanged it for this. Just in case any of you are looking for a good computer slightly near the price, here is a link:

Samsung 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive NP550P5C-A01UB - Best Buy
    Thanked by:

It depends on how you use your computer. For me I'm a student so i dont do much beyond office and web browsing so its fine but you need all the capabilities of a laptop then by all means buy a laptop or windows 8 tablet.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    You bought a tablet as a laptop replacement?!?!

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    1) a tablet WON'T work as a laptop replacement, it's like using an iPad to do serious stuff you do on a MacBook.
    2) the RT doesn't even run 3rd party apps. Cannot imagine how you'll use it as a replacement.

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jiayit View Post
    1) a tablet WON'T work as a laptop replacement, it's like using an iPad to do serious stuff you do on a MacBook.
    2) the RT doesn't even run 3rd party apps. Cannot imagine how you'll use it as a replacement.
    uh WHAT? almost every app in WIndows Store is a 3rd party app.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    uh WHAT? almost every app in WIndows Store is a 3rd party app.
    I meant it as.. What you call it.. Legacy?

Global Posts
    2,566 Global Posts
    legacy != 3rd party. RT doesn't run legacy windows apps, it runs new windows apps.
    You realize that the vast majority of people out their never install an application on their computer right? And when they do its a big deal. All this nonsense about consumers like my nana supposedly freaking out because they can't install exe's they downloaded from the web to do all their power user video encoding is all ******ed bluster. Most people don't do this stuff your talking about and are delighted to have access to a simple store to get tightly focused little apps. Why do you think the iPad was so successful? It was simple to use and required no technical knowledge. The Surface has all that but has a real computer behind it with a file system, connectivity, and a form factor which can really be used as a laptop and a tablet.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks but my intent was for light browsing, email, and basically content viewing . You may have been looking for something like the Surface Pro due out...um...soon (I guess) but that'll be a bit pricey. I've got a desktop now and a laptop with XP(!) on it and I think the Surface RT probably will fill most people's need in that regard. Glad it worked out for you though.