SD card reader issue

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Bought a micro-sd card on boxing day, and ever since I've put in my Surface it's only randomly been identified by the OS. Sometimes it will see it and I can access it and sometimes it will not see it at all, even after taking it out and putting it in. I suspect there might be something wrong with the contact points on the Surface's card reader as, when I manage to get the OS to see the card, if I press down on the area where the card reader is the OS will stop seeing the card. I've tried 2 different cards and the same issue with both of them.

There's a Microsoft Store in my area so I was thinking of dropping by there and explaining my issue, hopefully I'll get an exchange right then and there. Has anyone had any experience exchanging their Surface with a similar issue? Just curious what kind of resolution I can expect.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It may need formatting to the correct format but that just a stab in the dark best thing to do is what you said and take it to Microsoft store they should have an answer. :wink:

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Let me know what they say cause I just started a thread about this.. mine does something similar where even if I nudge my card slightly it disconnects and reconnects again.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Finally found time to go to the Microsoft popup store where I live. Brought my Surface to one of the employees there and explained my issue. I showed that the SD card was inserted but not appearing under Computer. The employee took the card out and put it back in to try it herself and nothing happened. She played with the device for a few minutes before trying my SD card in another Surface. It was immediately recognized so she said the unit will need to be replaced. Brought out a new Surface for me and they said they would like to do an unboxing with me to make sure everything worked, which was fine with me. And it was a good thing they do that because the replacement Surface had the same issue of the SD card reader not working. At that point the employee needed to confer with her manager. The manager came over, they talked for a bit about possible causes etc. The manager tried my SD card in her Surface and it was immediately recognized, so another unit was given to me (and of course they did an unboxing as well). Fortunately this one worked and so far I've had no issues with it (typing this reply from my replacement Surface). So it looks like as long as you can show them the issue they will replace it fairly easily. Overall pretty happy with their support and in general with the people who work there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett