Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Has anyone found where to buy a Euro power supply for the Surface RT? I have called and written to the Microsoft Store and they refuse to it in the US. I have looked everywhere online and eBay and none for sale. I travel frequently to Russia (Surface not sold there) and tried using a power adapter but it really didn't work because the transformer was too heavy and the adapter put it too far out from the wall. In the end, it just fell out of the wall socket every time and I was never able to get it charged. I was hoping this would be a great travel device, but sadly it is completely worthless without a native Euro power supply.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,269 Global Posts
    You need to get a European converter with a stepdown transformer. I think I got mine from Magellan's Travel Supplies, something like $55, I think.

I have a Samsung Laptop and although the transformer says it's good with 100v to 240v, when I run it off 230v in France it gets so hot you can't touch it. So I bought a European converter with a stepdown transformer and it's fine now.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    The problem is that the adapters put the transformer too far away from the wall and leverage works its magic and makes it fall out of the socket. I just find it crazy that MS refuses to sell this outside of Europe.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,269 Global Posts
    I think I understand what you are saying now. Put an extension cord on the adapter, so the weight of the transformer isn't on the adapter at the wall.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Lads
    I have the UK version as i bought the surface from UK. Yes it comes with UK plug adapter, but it is interchangable to euro power cord (the oned on razors). Works a treat and they come indifferent lenghts.
    t-pca-1111-1__euro-power-cord-cable-figure8-2-pin-euro-mains-power-cord-cable-black-1-2m-4ft.jpg

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Interesting, then the Euro power supply is totally different. The US version has a transformer that the blades flip out of, so the transformer is attached to the wall, which makes it not work with an adapter. Really poor design for US version if you ask me, and then not selling us the good one. Oh well. Guess I will sell the Surface and buy a laptop since I need to bring something with me moving to Russia.

Yes on UK model you just unplug the UK socket and there is a slot for EU cord adapter in the transformer. That was a surprise to me as well.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusteater View Post
    Interesting, then the Euro power supply is totally different. The US version has a transformer that the blades flip out of, so the transformer is attached to the wall, which makes it not work with an adapter. Really poor design for US version if you ask me, and then not selling us the good one. Oh well. Guess I will sell the Surface and buy a laptop since I need to bring something with me moving to Russia.
    I don't know why you want to go through all that, but that's up to you. Like I said, just get a European extension cord so the transformer isn't hanging off the wall.

I live in the UK but have the US power cable (bought my RT in Orland). I've been plugging it in to a converter and just plugging that in to a wall socket. I'm using one of those Swiss Travel adapters. Works just fine.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mattos View Post
    I live in the UK but have the US power cable (bought my RT in Orland). I've been plugging it in to a converter and just plugging that in to a wall socket. I'm using one of those Swiss Travel adapters. Works just fine.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    I think it'd work ok with British plug, but Euro is really unstable. Been scouring eBay and have never seen one for sale.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    You want to go from a US device to a European wall socket, right?

In that case I can advice this one:
    Wonpro WA-9 Universal A/C Adaptor to EU 2-Pin Outlet (With Ground Sheet, Pro1 Logo, Black) #WA-9_SCHUKO_BLACK - Expansys USA

You really have to push in the US connectors with some force to make the connection, so they won't fall out. Expansys also sells the the Euro-plug without earth connection (the flatter version).

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    My wife had to buy a 50W Enercell converter for Spain at RadioShack and this morning she confirmed it worked. She had the US adapter.