Thinking of taking my Surface back for store credit and waiting for The new ASUS VivoTab Smart....

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just like it says.

Any ideas?

Meet VivoTab? Series ? Three new Windows 8 Tablets designed for both work & play

ASUS outs VivoTab Smart with Type Cover-esque keyboard cover

ASUS VivoTab Smart hands-on (video)

It has all the things I had to settle on (Happily until now lol) when getting the Surface.

Amazing camera back and front (Back with flash even!!)
Runs full Windows 8!
Has MUCH better speakers and volume levels

Also has all the things I LOVED about the Surface

Kickstand included (In the form of the smart cover/transleeve thing)
Keyboard included is light and attaches magnetically
Runs smooth and snappy

Anyone else thinking of jumping ship?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Neither. At this point I would go Surface Pro or the Sony VAIO DUO 11 ultrabook. However, I think come MWC 2013, there will be something a lot cheaper than those too.

The Nexus 10 is 2560 x 1600 and has an A15 ARM processor all for $399.99. So that means the upcoming Lumia tablet RT will be at least Full HD and Qualcomm S4 PRO for $499.99. I would wait for that. Or at least wait for the FullHD version of the Vivo Tab smart PC. I am not a fan of Asus because all their hardware either has build quality issues or slow I/O memory but they do release a lot of tablets. I would bet big money that the full HD version of the VivoTab will be shown at the MWC 2013.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally it looks pretty unimpressive to me. The origami folding cover looks like someone just folded up an Apple smartcover, complete with all the creases you would get by playing origami with one. Throw in a plastic shell and fiddling little covers over ports, and nothing about it cries out quality to me. Compared to the Asus RT tablet sold in the local Sam's Clubs here, it really looks cheap. I also think people should consider carefully before buying a tablet with an Atom processor and limited storage capacity and assuming they will really have a Windows 8 laptop replacement. Leaving Intel PR aside, it still is pretty weak processor that will choke on heavier Windows applications, and if you load anything like Photoshop or Office, that storage will be gone very fast. Notably, Asus bills its MicroSD slot as HC, not XC. BTW, it is my understanding that the keyboard does not attach magnetically. The keyboard is a very thin Bluetooth type included with the folding cover. My bet is Asus also did not run its battery life simulations with the keyboard turned on since, unlike the Surface covers, Bluetooth is a constant draw on a battery. I really can't say this will be on my list for anyone.

Last edited:

chuks22

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Neither. At this point I would go Surface Pro or the Sony VAIO DUO 11 ultrabook. However, I think come MWC 2013, there will be something a lot cheaper than those too.

The Nexus 10 is 2560 x 1600 and has an A15 ARM processor all for $399.99. So that means the upcoming Lumia tablet RT will be at least Full HD and Qualcomm S4 PRO for $499.99. I would wait for that. Or at least wait for the FullHD version of the Vivo Tab smart PC. I am not a fan of Asus because all their hardware either has build quality issues or slow I/O memory but they do release a lot of tablets. I would bet big money that the full HD version of the VivoTab will be shown at the MWC 2013.

by the time the nokia comes out, samsung or lg or whoever will have something better coming, will you keep waiting or will u keep selling whatever u already got, technology will never be still. luv ma surface

asusfan

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Finally the Asus VivoTab Smart - Full Windows 8 - has landed in the US. ValleySeek.com report having them in stock from today. (I pre-ordered mine elsewhere, but the above is good indication that things are 'moving').

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Personally it looks pretty unimpressive to me. The origami folding cover looks like someone just folded up an Apple smartcover, complete with all the creases you would get by playing origami with one. Throw in a plastic shell and fiddling little covers over ports, and nothing about it cries out quality to me. Compared to the Asus RT tablet sold in the local Sam's Clubs here, it really looks cheap. I also think people should consider carefully before buying a tablet with an Atom processor and limited storage capacity and assuming they will really have a Windows 8 laptop replacement. Leaving Intel PR aside, it still is pretty weak processor that will choke on heavier Windows applications, and if you load anything like Photoshop or Office, that storage will be gone very fast. Notably, Asus bills its MicroSD slot as HC, not XC. BTW, it is my understanding that the keyboard does not attach magnetically. The keyboard is a very thin Bluetooth type included with the folding cover. My bet is Asus also did not run its battery life simulations with the keyboard turned on since, unlike the Surface covers, Bluetooth is a constant draw on a battery. I really can't say this will be on my list for anyone.

The Keyboard does attach magnetically to the Smart cover. And seems to be pretty strong as a couple videos show it requiring a decent tug and twist to release it.

Aslo I don't use the keyboard much now on my surface and don't expect to use it much in the future. Just nice to have it if I want it :)

As for the power... It is at least if not better then the tegra in the Surface, and I am using it as a tablet, not a full 8 machine. Just like the idea of being able to use the windows 8 metro apps (Things like Google apps and Firefox and whatnot that the developers to not want to make for RT) and not so much the full Windows programs. I would NEVE use photoshop on a tablet, just like I wouldn't install WOW and expect to be able to play it lol

Joe Hegyi

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So far I have been happy with my Surface RT after one week - but I do see its limitations. For the most part, it does what I want it to do. I have contemplated returning mine and waiting for Surface Pro because of the things I know I will be able to do in addition to what the RT allows me to do.

I love the build quality of the Surface, which is a big plus for me as well.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I want to know how do you guys deal with limited wireless internet access? Do you guys have a hotspot or tethering what do you guys do to stay connected? It seems like most of the places I visit besides my home have limited WIFI connections (Work & School). It kind of a bummer that most of my apps can't update due to no internet access until I'm by WiFi.

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
At $499, it's not a bad deal. Just hit Amazon and bestbuy.com. I don't like that it doesn't have a FULL usb port though.
I was just about to post they are now online at Bestbuy.

Too bad it is only the black ones though... So far.

Also no word on the transleeve from these retailers yet... Maybe they are getting better magnets?? They seem to come off easily in the few videos of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros