Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    2,285 Global Posts
    Is it possible to program windows store apps on the surface rt? Thank you
    HTC Droid Incredible(2 replacements) --> Nokia Lumia 900(Briefly)/Apple iPhone 4s --> Nokia Lumia 920(3 replacements) --> BlackBerry Z10(2 replacements) --> HTC One(3 replacements) --> Samsung Galaxy S4(Briefly) --> iPhone 5 --> iPhone 6+

Not really. One can compile code, but execution is kind of out of the question. Your best shot(at the moment) is to use Remote Desktop, VMWare, TeamViewer or any other remote desktop client to make those operations possible in any whatever programming whathaveyou you use. Albeit, this recent "jailbreak" has allowed for more basic programming. That is to say, one can run SDL, DOSBox, or a python somethingorother. Excuse my crude terminology.

That is all I know.
    Po_MD

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Is it possible to program windows store apps on the surface rt?
    No. No no no. No.

Visual Studio... not a Metro App :)
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,390 Global Posts
    I'm curious how well the Surface Pro might handle coding on the device. And games... GW2 at least.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts
    You can "code" in the sense you can write code in a text editor. Check out an app called Code Writer. It's pretty decent and a nice way to organize your code on the RT.

You can always write an HTML5 app and test it on the Surface it you wanted to. Then use a tool like PhoneGap and make it a Windows app using that.

If you jailbreak you can run Python on the Surface! I'm sure some developer out there is working on porting gcc as well, at least I hope one is!
    Check out my youtube video reviews of games and apps for Windows RT @ WindowsRTReview
    Check out my Blog Windows RT Review

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Po_MD View Post
    Not really. One can compile code, but execution is kind of out of the question. Your best shot(at the moment) is to use Remote Desktop, VMWare, TeamViewer or any other remote desktop client to make those operations possible in any whatever programming whathaveyou you use. Albeit, this recent "jailbreak" has allowed for more basic programming. That is to say, one can run SDL, DOSBox, or a python somethingorother. Excuse my crude terminology.

That is all I know.
    Po_MD
    DOSBox is working wioth the jailbreak? So old DOS Games, in theory can run on Surface?

That's right. :)

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    DOSBox is working wioth the jailbreak? So old DOS Games, in theory can run on Surface?
    Great. Bring on Gorillas!

You can code in C# now! Apparently Windows RT includes the Microsoft C# compiler, it just won't run by default due to some dependency issues. Check out this thread: [how to] Develop on Windows RT: A C# Scratchpad - xda-developers

I made a video on it:
    Last edited by vdek; 01-23-2013 at 03:44 AM.
    Check out my youtube video reviews of games and apps for Windows RT @ WindowsRTReview

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vdek View Post
    You can code in C# now! Apparently Windows RT includes the Microsoft C# compiler, it just won't run by default due to some dependency issues. Check out this thread: [how to] Develop on Windows RT: A C# Scratchpad - xda-developers
    Thanks for the video. How much can you really do though if certain references were removed?

But, NotePad++!!?? My favorite text editor. The one that becomes the default over Notepad as soon as I reload or get a new computer.

Here's my questions, and sorry if this takes the thread in a different direction... Is the reason we have to jailbreak the RT to be able to run programs such as Notepad++, is because Microsoft is worried about battery life? Or pushing the RT beyond what it can do? I don't get it. So there's functionality available in RT, but we can't use it. Why??

Microsoft doesn't allow desktop applications to run for some arbitrary reason. Apparently it's to differentiate the Pro version with the RT version but to me that just weakens the RT experience unnecessarily. There's really no reason we shouldn't be able to run the full desktop environment if we want to. I can understand that Microsoft wants to control the point of distribution and kill malware remotely etc, but they should at least give us the option to chose to take in their walled garden or not like Android does.