Surface as second monitor via wifi?

JasonK910

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Looking for an app similar to Air Display/DIsplayLink for iPad so I can use my Surface as a second monitor via wifi on my laptop. I haven't found one yet, anybody know of one out there, or even in development? With the kickstand and the widescreen, I can't believe someone hasn't done this yet.

Thanks!

JasonK910

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
No, that's not what I want. I need to go the other way. I want the Surface to be the 2nd monitor for my laptop. Can't do that with HDMI.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. I am looking for a app to use it as a external monitor for my computer. Just like using two regular monitors for your computer, but I only have one monitor so I want to be able to use my surface as a second monitor.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what synergy is. You move your mouse/keyboard across multiple screens, it's like having multiple monitors without having to attach them all physically to the same computer. Now whether or not it works well in Windows RT is another question, but Synergy is used by tons of people for that exact reason.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what synergy is. You move your mouse/keyboard across multiple screens, it's like having multiple monitors without having to attach them all physically to the same computer. Now whether or not it works well in Windows RT is another question, but Synergy is used by tons of people for that exact reason.

Isn't synergy just so that you can use the same mouse and keyboard for several computers a the same time? Let?s say that I have two regular programs open on my computer (for example Photoshop and Visual Studio) and I want to use them on two screens but I only have one. Then I should like to be able to hook up my surface as a secondary monitor and have one of the programs on that one. I hope you understand but I?m sorry if I am unclear :)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Isn't synergy just so that you can use the same mouse and keyboard for several computers a the same time? Let?s say that I have two regular programs open on my computer (for example Photoshop and Visual Studio) and I want to use them on two screens but I only have one. Then I should like to be able to hook up my surface as a secondary monitor and have one of the programs on that one. I hope you understand but I?m sorry if I am unclear :)

Oh wait I see what you mean, yeah. On the other monitors you can transition to them "wirelessly" however you are now on their desktop with their files, etc. Sorry man.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Synergy allows you to use 1 keyboard/mouse across several different computers.

We need something different. We want to be able to use the Surface as a second monitor.
I'm a traveling worker and I always have my laptop with me (and tablet too). I miss having
a 2-monitor setup and it would be awesome to be able to use my Surface as a second monitor.

I understand there are now portable monitors that cost $100-150. But while I don't mind
traveling with my laptop and surface, I do NOT want to carry laptop, tablet AND portable monitor.

Someone make an app for this! :)

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
This cat Sean knows RT; his solutions show up here regularly. I wonder if he or his surrogates are posting the questions. :Kidding:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb